Please sign in to post.

flat irons

I will be traveling to Ireland in June. I need to take a flat iron for my hair. I have always used a Chi but I understand that it won't work. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Posted by
23340 posts

You need a flat iron that will accept a 220V input. So check the input label on your flat iron and others to see if the input is list something like this -- Input 120-240V. If it only shows 120V then it will not work. Consider buying one when you get there. Some will suggest using a high wattage converter but they are expensive, heavy, and don't work very well with high heat elements.

Posted by
5562 posts

I would suggest that you buy one when you get there. You can use it for future trips to Europe.

Posted by
989 posts

I am about to purchase a Chi. Why won't it work? Is it not dual voltage?

Posted by
32220 posts

chris, Before you can decide which option to use, you need to check the nameplate label on your present Flat Iron to determine the Input Voltage. It's possible that it is designed for dual-voltage operation. Don't forget that you'll also need a Plug Adapter as the power points in Europe use different pin configurations than in North America. Ireland generally uses the same style of Plugs as the U.K. (large rectangular pins). One point to clarify is that high wattage Voltage Converters are not necessarily heavy. That's only the case if they use a transformer method of conversion (Transformers are inherently heavy, as they use an iron core with copper windings). The new solid-state models are actually quite light and able to handle up to 2000-watts. You may find it helpful to have a look at some of the dual-voltage Flat Irons on This Website. For some reason, that particular website doesn't recommend using Voltage Converters with Flat Irons. This is the first time I've heard this and I don't understand the reasoning. I'll have to do some further research on the subject. Cheers!

Posted by
1883 posts

Because of the voltage, our electronics work a bit in the EU. I have taken a flat iron with me, but I took a less expensive model than my Chi. I travel with an iron I bought at Target for about $25. It worked fine with the plug adapter. When you plug in the iron, you might hear some noise..that's the conversion of the voltage. I felt like my iron heated up faster, and maybe was a bit hotter than here in the US. your Chi WILL work, there is an urban myth that it won't. I just don't want to travel with a $100 flat iron. No need to run out and buy an iron in Europe, just get an inexpensive one here, save your time and money in Europe (the Euro is now $1.45 to the dollar) you are only gone 1-2, maybe 3 weeks, your hair will survive not using your Chi, just bring the hair products you use for heat styling.

Posted by
17 posts

Last year I bought an inexpensive dual voltage flat iron at Walmart for $20. Worked fine in Sweden and it is smaller than my usual one so easier to pack.

Posted by
833 posts

I will be returning to Italy for four months this fall, and will be buying a flat iron there. My friend did the same last fall, found a cheap Italian one and she said it worked better than her CHI does. Personally, I don't want to travel with my expensive CHI and it's one less thing I need to pack. But if you prefer what is familiar to you, use your own with an adapter. If you want to bring one from the states, make sure you use the dual one so that you do not rely on a converter. My friend blew my converter last year by using a hair dryer. This is likely to happen with any device that uses a large amount of energy.

Posted by
2749 posts

I took a group of teens to Europe a few years ago. They were DETERMINED to take their costly CHI flat irons so they used "voltage" adaptors. I warned them..... I can't recall how many of these things we took, but none of them survived the three week trip.

Posted by
29 posts

I just bought a dual voltage flat iron at Target for $15.00. It's also smaller than the one I use at home, so it's better for traveling.