Please sign in to post.

First trip to Europe

Hello, my daughter and I are planning a 15 day trip. We plan on 10 days in Italy and we’re not sure where we want to go for the other 5 days. She has been to Germany, France and Ireland. I have never been to Europe and might not get back so I would like to experience another country/culture after Italy. We were thinking maybe Croatia or Switzerland since they’re both close by.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Susan

Posted by
996 posts

First of all, congratulations on your first trip to Europe!

Second - Italy is amazing. You could spend the entire two weeks there. But if you want another country - and this might be your one shot to visit - is there anything calling to you? Anything you have a childhood dream to see in Europe that could be visited via train or a short plane ride?

If not, then what most interests you? History? Food? Art? Museums? Shopping? Nature?

Posted by
2 posts

Hi Susan!

I would definitely recommend staying the other 5 days in Switzerland especially in the Berner Oberland region. It's absolutely one of the most spectacular places in the world. When are you planning to go and what types of activities do you like to do together?

Cheers,
Nora

Posted by
1669 posts

I second Nora's recommendation. Switzerland in the Alps will be unforgettable.

Enjoy your trip.

Posted by
1743 posts

With only five days, I'd recommend Slovenia. It is substantially smaller than Croatia and easier to get around. You could make Ljubljana your home base for the entire time (it is one of Europe's most delightful capitals) and make some great day trips (Bled, Bohinj, Vintgar Gorge, Postojna Cave, Predjama Castle, Vršič Pass and the Julian Alps, and more. Or you could split your time between Ljubljana and another spot such as Kobarid or Piran.

Overall I think Slovenia is more scenic than Croatia. Croatia is great as well, but save it for when you have more than 5 days.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks for your replies. To answer so questions ; we will be traveling this October. Our interests are museums, nature, food and some art but we’re not shoppers.
I tend to like off the beaten path places but a city adventure would be ok for a day...I’m not fond of crowds.

Posted by
11156 posts

I also recommend the Berner Oberland in Switzerland. The scenery will take your breath away. We enjoyed staying in Grindelwald.

Posted by
17908 posts

Museums and food, and no crowds? Budapest. Nature, mountains, coastlines, Croatia with 1/3rd the tourists ..... Montenegro, which is well connected to both Rome and Budapest.

Posted by
6788 posts

Careful with your math...

my daughter and I are planning a 15 day trip. We plan on 10 days in Italy and...

For most people - especially those new to planning a foreign trip - if they are talking about "a 15 day trip" that often means 15 days including the day they lock the door at home and head for the airport, until they get back in their home. That does not give you 15 days in Europe! That gives you 12 or maybe 13 days (it takes at least a day to get there, a day to get back). So start by being honest with yourself about how much time you actually have. Start with specific dates for departures and arrivals (even if you don't have your tickets booked yet). If you have a "15 day trip" (as many people would count) and you are going to spend 10 days in Italy, then you don't have "another 5 days" for somewhere else. You probably have 2 or maybe 3 more days for somewhere else.

Look at your travel dates. Do not count the day you arrive in Europe, and don't count the day you depart for home (no matter what time the flights are). The number of days in between those days, that's how many full, usable days in Europe you have. Now, if you are going from France to a second country (quite a reasonable thing to do), then you spend one day doing that.

So, after taking a sober look at how much time you have...it sounds like your trip probably will give you 12-13 usable days total. I'd spend around 6 days in France, then fly to Italy or your second destination, and spend around 5 or 6 days there.

Posted by
739 posts

In 2017 I took a trip to Europe for the first time in about 30 years. I took my father who was 87 at the time and it was kind of one of those “get there while the getting was good” kind of things.
What we did was put together a list of everyplace we wanted to see in All of Europe and then looked at where we had clusters that would work together. So you may want to try that.

That being said I will give you my advice and my ideas.
My advice is that it is not that expensive to fly around Europe so don’t let “close” effect your trip, chose what you want to see. And hit the things you want to see most. You can’t assume you will be back. If you go back good but don’t count on it.

Now for my ideas.
You are going to Italy and that sounds great. In addition to that consider.
Paris, always a great place, The Eiffel Tower (one of my three ultimate list) Notre Dame, etc
Or perhaps London (my personal favorite) the Tower of London, Tower Bridge (another of my ultimate 3). West Minster (and the New Jubilee Galery is truly awesome) St Paul’s (sadly Big Ben is concealed behind scaffolding). This list goes on.

Either city could take up 5 days. But the other idea would be a couple days in Paris then the Chunnel to London. Yes 2 days in Paris and three in London is not much but... it is doable and you can see the highlights.

Start with Notra Dame (lunch in a street cafe adjacent to Notra Dame giving you a good view) then Bus ride to Eiffel Tower. Get off across the River at the Plasa (I am unsure how to spell it). Get a snack (cold or warm depending on weather) at one of the restaurants thier. Then walk across the bridge toward the tower (great views) Dont go to the Tower yet. Grab a boat ride (leaves just below the Tower). This will give you a view of major locations along the river and between it and the bus you will see most attractions) Once back at the Tower take a tour up (make reservations). Try to time this so you go up in the light then grab some food (I suggest the less expensive food offerings but you can do the expensive restaurant if you wish) then stay and enjoy the view until it gets dark. Then back down. Stick around for the tweenkleing lights then a cab back to your hotel.
Day two go pick One thing you saw on day one from the boat or the buss and do whatever it is that fought your eye. Then after lunch grab you bags and catch the Eurostar To London.
Day three start off with an early morning visit to the Tower of London, catch the Jewels if so inclined and take a Beef Eater Tour. (They are funny). Then off to Tower Bridge (great views of the Bridge and from the bridge). Then a river tour to Westminster. Tour Westminster. If so inclined take the Eye.
Day Four Swing by Buckingham Palace then St Paul’s and for dinner grab something at or near Harrods and pick up some souvenirs. Fill in the rest of the day as you like.
Day 5. Look through RS book and pick whatever you like. A river walk. The National Galery. The War Rooms, the options are endless.

Yes you won’t see EVERYTHING. but you will get to see a lot. And when you are watching TV and see something set in Paris or London you can think to yourself “I’ve been thier”. My father has said that many times in the last year. He is tickled pink that he has seen these cities for himself.

If the two cites don’t work then I recommend Southern Germany, Munich and the Castle of “The mad king” are truly amazing. (But Neu Schwanstein is the third of my ultimate 3)

Well I hope this give you some ideas. Let us know what you think and the people on the forum will I am sure give you some more ideas.

A trip to Europe is not to be wasted.

Posted by
3046 posts

David's comment about exactly the number of days is a good one. I would do a day to day itinerary.

Day 1-arrive (you may be tired and jet lagged - long drives in a car may be a poor choice)
Day 15: Arrive at home

What are you doing on each day?

If you have 10 days in Italy, that gives you 4-5 (depending on when you leave, which will not be a big day for events).

I'm with those suggesting Slovenia or Croatia. I would suggest the Istrian peninsula with the town of Rovinj and Pula and the capital of Ljubljana. These will easily occupy 3-5 days. We've been to Ljubljana 3 times - each time it's great - it's got a castle, it's got nice restaurants, a good Museum of Ethnography, a river to walk along or take a boat ride on. Plus there's a dragon.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you all for your great suggestions
I should have been clear - we have 17 days. 15 in Europe and the other 2 days are for getting there and for getting home. Our tentative itinerary is:
3 days in Venice, 2 days in Cinque Terre
3 days in Rome and 2 days in Sorrento.= 10 days with 5 days left.

We like the idea of Slovinia, Croatia or Switzerland. Once we decide would it make more sense to start our journey there, and then work our way down through Italy?

Posted by
143 posts

You said you are going in October. Some parts of Europe already feel like winter in October and you want to wear layers and prepare for cold rain.

I love Switzerland and the Bernese Overland is incredible but I would not go in October.

To give you an idea, we sailed the Greek island in September and finished the trip by flying Santorini to Vienna direct. Greece was summer, Austria was grey and cold (which did not bother me because I had already been there in the summer; but it affected my mom).

Andalucia in Spain was great in October, perfect weather.

I spent time on the Amalfi Coast in October and we had some glorious sunny slightly crisp days; other days it was grey and rainy and ferries were not running because of the stormy seas.

If I were going to Italy in October, for my other country I would choose either Spain, Croatia or Greece.

Posted by
3046 posts

In 2014, we were in Croatia in Oct-Nov, and it was cool, but not cold. Sarajevo was pretty chilly. Dubrovnik was fine. I'd say that Ljub would be fine as well, but I'm not sure I'd drive in the mountains - sudden snow can come up.

For the route, I'd get a map. If you go Switzerland, you need to fly there. If you go Slovenia/Croatia, drive or bus is the way to go. Plot it out, make a plan.

Posted by
6113 posts

Be prepared for large crowds in Venice, CT and Rome!

For your last few days, you will probably need to fly. It will take you the same time to get to the airport no matter where you are flying to and the check in time will be the same - 1.5-2 hours. You have picked two countries that are close, but would it have a significant impact on your holiday if you spent 1.5 or 3 hours on a plane? You could think wider Europe.

I would opt for Istria - no crowds in October and 5 days is a good amount of time for this region. Lisbon, Edinburgh, Barcelona and Madrid are all possibilities, along with another hundred or more destinations with direct flights.

You could also stay in Italy and visit one of the more rural areas such as the northern lakes.

Posted by
2400 posts

After Italy you will be tired of museums and history. I would go to Switzerland ( unless you live in the Rocky Mountain west ) if you can afford it. If price is a factor, then I would go to the Austrian alps.

Posted by
12172 posts

I'm thinking the perfect addition would be a ferry across to Croatia. You could ferry from Venice to Pula or Bari to Dubrovnik. Once there you can use ferries or buses to get around if you would rather not rent a car.

In October, it's likely to be just plain cold in Switzerland. The downside for Croatia is it's cooler, most of the summer crowds are gone, and all public transportation runs on a limited schedule.

Posted by
1549 posts

"In October, it's likely to be just plain cold in Switzerland." - I second that, especially if the latter part of October. If you are not averse to a short flight to your second destination, Burgundy (Lyon) or Alsace (Basel). Moderate temperature, different culture, nice scenery. Plenty of nice hiking to walk off all that pasta.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you all for your input, it’s been most helpful. We’re starting to rule out some places as much as we’d like to go
It sounds like Switzerland would be too cold. We feel like Croatia would be too much we’d want to see in too short of time. Slovenia was a big consideration but we are apprehensive about renting a car and driving on mountain roads. We are considering Austria but again not feeling comfortable about renting a car.
We are now also considering southern France. I know I’m all over the map...reason being, I might not ever get the opportunity to go again.
Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Posted by
356 posts

Hi Susan:

Congratulations on your upcoming trip!

As more experienced travelers on this forum mention, count nights instead of days. Also, each time you change locations, you take a good part of one day doing so. I would make a list of the things you want to do in each location (what drew you there in the first place). How many days do you need to accomplish those things? And how much time will it take to travel from each of the locations you've selected?

As mentioned in the Italy forum by acraven:

"You can always go back, but you cannot do over a trip that is full of too much bustling around at the expense of enjoyment."
I love that quote from Valadelphia! I couldn't have expressed it so well, but to me it is key. There are places we fall in love with and like to return to, but I've always thought it was a shame to blitz through so many places, so fast, that you shortchange every one of them and really need to repeat the entire trip to see all the things you missed. I'd much rather see my key sights in fewer cities on the first trip (wasting less time in trains, buses and cars) so I can move on to some fresh territory.

And never assume that you won't be back. We made our first trip to Italy when we were in our early 60's. We've been back twice since.

Posted by
11178 posts

If you can arrange the flights to avoid back tracking, perhaps Portugal; likely a better weather choice.

A 'multi-city' routing of PHL-Italy and Lisbon-PHL. Get a local booking to fly Italy to Portugal

It may not necessarily be 'close by', but it is 'on the way'