Please sign in to post.

first trip to europe

any suggestions? we are going on a planned tour from day 5 on... Itinerary for trip to Europe Day 1-Paris (stay in 4th district) Thursday Check-in to hotel @ 9:30-make sure we can check in the morning Shopping at Chanel- there at 11:30 Enjoy lunch outside at a café-eat at 2:30 Champagne River Cruise Dinner Day 2-Paris Friday Notre Dame Orsay Museum Fashion Show at the Galeries Lafayette @ 3:00 Lingerie Shopping at Monoprix Day 3-Paris Saturday Sandeman's Walking Tour Lourve Eiffel Tower Evening Cocktails at the Eiffel Tower Day 4-Venice Sunday Fly to Venice Go to Murano Day 5-Venice Monday Go to Vicenzia Day 6-Rome Tuesday Leave AM for Rome Check-in early Trevi Fountain Pantheon Gelato Day 7-Rome Wednesday Sightseeing with Tour Papal Audience Day 8-Rome Thursday Day Trip into Italian wine country Day 9-Athens Friday Travel National Museum Day 10-Athens Saturday Sightseeing Day 10-Athens Sunday Day Cruise through Greek Isles Day 11-Istanbul Sunday Day 12-Istanbul Monday Travel Day 13-Istanbul Tuesday Grand Bazaar Spice Market Day 14-Istanbul Wednesday Sightseeing Day 15-London Thursday Travel to London Day 16- London Friday
Go home

Posted by
11507 posts

Just wondering,, going to Chanel,, then lingerie shopping at Monoprix?

Posted by
7 posts

the friend i'm traveling with insists on going to both, she heard there can be good finds for bras at monoprix, as well-made lingerie is local

Posted by
23310 posts

In my opinion way too many places for 16 days. You will spend a huge portion of your time in travel and wasted relocation time. But it is your trip. Logistic wise it would make more sense to fly into London and home from Istanbul. Make more efficient use of your time. On the first day you will be lucky to stay awake for the dinner and the river cruise. In Rome for less than three days and taking a day trip. Why?

Posted by
7 posts

we are going a planned tour and the third day is a free day so we thought about going into wine country

Posted by
87 posts

Yes, you have a ton of stuff packed in to each day. Remember: Unless you're really good at sleeping on planes, you're going to be very tired from jet lag the first day (and probably more). Most hotels don't let guests check in until the afternoon sometime. Contact your hotel in Paris and see if they will let you leave your luggage there until you check in. Then, at least you can wander Paris unencumbered. Whatever you do, on your first day DON'T GO TO SLEEP UNTIL EARLY TO MID-EVENING. If you do, you will really throw your internal clock off. In my experience, a short nap (no longer than 45 minutes) is ok. Day 8: Exactly which wine area are you going to visit? Rome is about 90 minutes or more from Tuscany, depending on where you're going there. Could be quite a long day trip by the time you visit a couple of wineries, taste the wines and return to Rome. I don't believe there is another wine region closer to Rome. Allow yourselves time to just sit and relax at cafes with coffee or drinks and take in Europe.

Posted by
7 posts

Do you think it's too much? somethings we know we want to do, should we be flexible on everything else?

Posted by
8163 posts

Nicole: Greece is currently in turmoil economically and socially, with a number of strikes and demonstrations. I would bypass Greece until things settle down somewhat. Turkey is a very unique place and it's geographically at the end of the line. Going there might break the camel's back. Many on these forums will tell you to take in fewer cities, and stay longer at each major city. Europe is better done slowly.

Posted by
7 posts

tour is rome athens istanbul, and we really want to go

Posted by
32219 posts

Nicole, As this is your first trip to Europe, my first suggestion is to read Europe Through The Back Door prior to your trip, as that provides a lot of good information on "how" to travel in Europe. I agree with the others that this trip is far too "busy" for a short 16-day time frame. I'm not entirely clear on your travel plans. Have you allowed for the fact that you'll arrive in Europe the day after you depart, and will be jet-lagged for a day or two after that? Also, could you provide further information on the "planned tour" you'll be taking? When is this trip taking place? When planning trips, it's important to remember that each change of location will generally take about half a day, and sometimes longer. With the way your sightseeing is structured, you really won't have time to see much in some of the places you'll be visiting. One example would be visiting the Louvre. It's a HUGE complex with three wings, so you'll have to be very selective. Good luck with your planning!

Posted by
1915 posts

It looks like you are not spending any time in Venice, just heading right
to Murano and then to Vicenzia. Don't you want to see Venice since you are there? I loved Venice and can't imagine bypassing it for Murano or Vicenzia. You might consider two full days there instead of leaving.

Posted by
8950 posts

On Day 3, pick a different walking tour than the "free" Sandamanns. The money you are expected to tip will buy you a much better tour with a much better, well-respected, professional company.

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks so much for all the responses!! Could you suggest a walking tour company? I see the segway tour, but I think I'll look like an idiot. your thoughts? Also, my friend would love the chocolate tour but I'm afraid we won't get all the history

Posted by
809 posts

For a walking tour in Paris, try www.paris-walks.com. It's recommended by the Original London Walks folks, and we did a medieval Paris walk with them in 2003 that was very interesting. Judging by their writeup, the chocolate walk should combine history and chocolate - if it's anything like the Chelsea Pub Walk we did with Original London Walks, it will be a great mix of food and history - we got a LOT of history along with our three pub stops on our walk. Good luck with your trip planning, and have fun!

Posted by
32219 posts

Nicole, I've done the Segway Tour in Paris, and it's a lot of fun! I tried those again in Prague when I was there last September, and had such a great time I booked another tour right after the first (it was a different theme, so wasn't repeating the same information). I believe the Segway firm in Paris also offers bike tours.

Posted by
1986 posts

You really dont have time enough in London to do or see anything. I just cant imagine how little time you will have there. wasted time/travel energy/money etc. Why not just extend your time in and around istanbul

Posted by
3049 posts

I think respondents to this so far have missed that you're taking a tour from Day 5 on. A lot of logistical issues are solved. It's still not the way I would travel, at all, but it makes your trip less problematic. That said, why are you going to Murano on your half-day in Venice before the tour? If you're set on doing the tour - and I think you'd get more out of your first trip to Europe if you weren't - I would just skip Paris and head straight to Italy to spend your few days before the tour there. You'll see more and enjoy yourself more. Paris is amazing but you're setting yourself up to be exhausted when your tour actually starts.

Posted by
813 posts

You do know that Monoprix is a grocery store, right? Some locations have clothes (like lingerie) as well. It's like making a special trip to Target or Kroger for undies. You'll be at Galleries Lafayette, shop there, it's one of the most famous shopping areas in the world. If you want high quality clothing cheaper, visit one of the many second-hand clothing stores. Amazing deals on really high fashion. Also have to question why you would leave your one full day in Venice for Vicenza. You should stay in Venice (you sound like a good shopper, stock up on awesome purses, you can't miss them).

Posted by
1825 posts

Based on the things that seem to interest you and your friend...I'd make the trip London, Paris and Rome. Instead of planning the amazing race, enjoy some of the greatest cities in the world.

Posted by
1825 posts

Yep, I missed the part about the tour. I still stand by my statement.

Posted by
7 posts

it's probably a novice mistake to try to go to Paris, but the reason is we don't think we will make back across the pond. My friend would like to visit the glass factory, but I see what you are seeing, even in the most optimistic scenario, we would arrive in Venice at 9:40, getting out of the airport and settled. it may be noon. so it would only be the afternoon in Murano. nevertheless, i think my friend needs a time limit so it may work out :)

Posted by
1994 posts

Nicole, if your flight arrives at Venice at 9:40, you may be hard pressed to make it to your hotel at noon, unless you are planning on using an expensive water taxi. Otherwise, it's a meaningful ride from the airport on the mainland to Venice, then a Vaporetto to the area of your hotel, and a walk to your hotel. Rather than Murano, I'd suggest spending that day in Venice and doing your glass shopping there. I really like glass art and have some nice pieces, but much of what I saw on Murano wasn't that good. And for the nice pieces, I saw them both on Murano and Venice.