Please sign in to post.

First Trip to Europe

I am going to Italy in early October. I have 2 weeks. This will be my first "passport" trip! My ideal trip is semi-relaxed, being able to really enjoy an area without having to rush from one place to another. Since I do have a larger chunk of time, would it be too much to add Croatia (Pula, Plitvice Lakes, Split, Dubrovnik) into the itinerary?

Posted by
9363 posts

Two weeks isn't as long as it seems (once you take off your arrival and departure days, you really only have 12 days), and you can probably find plenty to interest you in Italy. Croatia might be a little difficult for a first trip, since getting there is still a little challenging. It's not that far, but making the travel connections could be a bit much for a first time traveler. Save it for another trip.

Posted by
3 posts

I have 14 days not including travel time, but you are right, the time goes by quickly. Thanks for the reply!

Posted by
32216 posts

Cris, I agree with the previous reply. There's more than enough to see in Italy, so focus on that this time. Which cities are you planning to visit? As this is your first trip to Europe, it would be a really good idea to read Europe Through The Back Door prior to your trip. Packing along the Italy Guidebook would also be a good idea, as it provides a LOT of information on touring, getting around, Hotels, restaurants, etc. Happy travels!

Posted by
13 posts

I think you've confused us by saying you want semi-relaxed and not having to rush, then you mention 4 places in Croatia as well as Italy in two weeks. Can you do Italy and Croatia in two weeks? Sure! Will it be too much? That depends on you. Certainly Croatia is doable from a ferry or train from Trieste, however it might be a little daunting if you're traveling by yourself. You could more easily do Austria or France depending on what Italian cities you want to see. (Unless you have a personal reason for wanting to see Croatia in particular.)

Posted by
9363 posts

Anytime you change locations you will lose a half to a whole day to travel time and associated packing/unpacking. To have the type of semi-relaxed trip you want, the less moving around, the better.

Posted by
15593 posts

Here's another thing that many travelers experience. You arrive in a completely new place, unfamiliar transportation, signs in a foreign language, it's hard to ask for directions. All the new and exciting experiences take time and energy. Try to spend at least 3 nights and 3 full days in each new place. Getting oriented can take more out of you than you realize. I'd start by flying to the north (Venice) and working my way south ending in Rome. A suggestion: Venice 3 days, Florence 4-5 days (take one or two day trips to other towns), Rome 6 days.

Posted by
875 posts

I'd also recommend staying in Italy. Two weeks is not long enough for a relaxing sightseeing visit in a country with that much to offer. And trying to get to Croatia from Italy will take time and be expensive, and have you looked at a map to see how long the country of Croatia is??? Dubrovnik is way far away.

Posted by
15593 posts

Cris, if you are going this October, I recommend that you figure out your itinerary and book hotels as soon as you can. Italy is still very popular in October and time's awasting.

Posted by
12172 posts

I would follow Chani's suggestion and not stray too far from a Venice, Florence, and Rome itinerary. You could also add some side trips from the main route, but don't let those consume too many days. Overall, you will exoerience more and have a better time limiting your two weeks to Italy. Too much transportation time turns your vacation into a whirlwind of catching rides and checking in and out of hotels.

Posted by
3 posts

Hi guys! I took your advice and kept my trip to Italy. I'll land in Venice, leave from Rome (thanks Chani). Now...what should I wear? Haha!

Posted by
15593 posts

Way to go, Cris. Okay, what to wear. . . Expect generally warm to quite warm weather. You might get a little rain or cool temps, so take a jacket. I wouldn't bother with an umbrella - if there's a downpour, buy one that screams Italy and take it home as a souvenir. SHOES - thick soles. Italy is full of cobblestone paving and anything with thin soles will be painful. You will need to have a lot of your body covered going into churches (short sleeves and below-the-knee pants/skirt, no cleavage or bare midriff). In the heat, skirts are usually more comfy than slacks. A large scarf (can be thin) will do to cover your shoulders if you aren't going to have sleeves. The only problem with a scarf is that it slips around, especially when you're trying to take photos. Sun hat is also recommended. Casual clothes are all you need. If you are indeed stopping in Florence, take a look at the Archi Rossi hostel there (they have a website). They have single rooms with a shared bath, and double rooms en suite or shared bath. The rates are good, the location is great. If you are solo - it's a good way to connect with others. They also have coin-op washers and driers so you can do a load of laundry too! In Venice, I like to stay in the Dorsoduro area - it's very close to everything, but quieter than the other side of the Grand Canal and rates are a little cheaper. There are several good websites to book hotel rooms. Venere.com and hotels.com are the ones I've used most in Europe, though the hotel reviews are often pretty sketchy. Also look at hostelworld.com which also has reviews. Good luck and ask more questions for lodgings, sightseeing, etc. - since you've (wisely) limited your trip to "The Boot" - better to post any more questions on that helpline.

Posted by
513 posts

Chris - If you are looking for interesting locals in central Italy, I'd like to recommend Assisi. I did it as a day trip frm Rome (about 2 hours each way from Termini - no changes). Plenty of sights to keep you occupied for a day.

Posted by
1 posts

Chani, I too will be in Italy in early Oct. In regards to the weather, is it really going to be warm? This will be our first trip to Europe, so much of the info on this forum has been very helpful! I just thought that being there in Oct, it would be much cooler.

Posted by
222 posts

I was in Italy last October and it was not hot. In fact, it was just perfectly moderate, even in Rome. It was cool and rained at times in Florence and Venice. I highly recommend October as a time to visit Italy

Posted by
1116 posts

I was in Italy as well last October and it was beautiful in Rome. I was perfectly happy in my tshirt and jeans and brought a thin fleece jacket for the evenings. We got rain in Venice but it wasn't too cold either. Just be prepared for wet or dry weather, and bring layers.

Posted by
15593 posts

October is an unpredictable month. It is more likely to be pleasantly warm and sunny than anything else, but that doesn't mean it won't get downright chilly, or foggy, or rainy here and there, now and then.