Please sign in to post.

First Trip!!

Hello all, I am new to the site but have found it extremely useful and even purchased several of Rick’s guidebooks. We have purchased plane tickets for our first European trip and cannot be more excited. I am writing for advice on the stops in between. We are flying into Amsterdam on a Saturday and leaving out of Naples two weeks later. I hope we did not bit off more than we can chew on our first trip? Our next purchase is some sort of rail pass to get us into Italy over the first week, than probably rent a car in Italy to see more sites. Since Bruges is close to Amsterdam I plan on making that our next stop. I'd figure those two cites would eat up the first 3-4 days. From there, I could really use some advice on the most rewarding way into Italy. We are young and open to just about anything, thanks.

Posted by
7779 posts

In the last few years, budget airlines like easyJet have sprung up that can get you around Europe quickly and cheaply (but with airport check-in issues). If there's any advantage over those 2 weeks to getting somewhere quickly, flying may be an option to consider, rather than train/bus/car. Of course, you could be flying over some really cool places rather than seeing them on the ground, but if you decided to spend more time some place, flying might get you there sooner, or allow you to linger there longer before jetting off to your next destination.

EasyJet doesn't specifically fly out of Ostend-Bruges airport, but the Brussels Airport is a fairly short train ride away from Bruges. Lots of options for places to visit and ways to get there - time and distance are sometimes the biggest obstacles.

Posted by
6898 posts

Sounds like you have some challenges. First thing is to re-consider any thought of a Eurail pass. You simply may not need one. Be advised that many travel systems add supplemental (reservation) fees on top of the cost of the pass. And, the Thalys train from Amsterdam to Brussels on your way to Bruges is one of the worst in Europe. They also limit their seats to passholders. France does the same only their supplemental fees are much lower. Italy charges you 10Euro for each Freccia fast train that you will be on. Also note that you will be charged extra for travel through any of the countries not covered by your pass. For example, from Bruges to Italy, you might be passing through either Germany, France or Switzerland. If you are in a big hurry to get to Italy from Belgium, you might consider a budget airline flight from Brussels to Venice, Milan or Pisa. Or, if by train, you can go via Germany and Switzerland or via France.

Since you have your plane tickets, you do have dates locked in. This is great. If you will reveal your travel dates, we can assist in helping you get your train tickets. If you have 90 days before your travel, you can get some really nice fares. These tickets will be non-refundable but the fares will be enticing.

Posted by
7 posts

Wow, thanks so much for the great info. I knew everyone would be helpful. Our dates of travel have us landing in Amsterdam August 2nd at 2pm local time and wheels up from Naples August 16th at 12:20 local time. So far I am liking the easterly route into Germany then down into Italy. If possible, spending a night in the Alps would be great but I would settle for a quick hike if time was just not there. The main destination of our trip would be Italy and seeing Venice-Florence-Rome-Naples would be great!!

Posted by
32320 posts

riebep,

I only have a few minutes to spare this morning, so haven't looked at too many options, but I'll try to offer one suggestion. Given the VERY short time frame, you might consider something along these lines....

• Day 1 (Aug. 1) - Flight to Europe
  • Day 2 (Aug. 2) - Arrive Amsterdam
  • Day 3, 4 (Aug. 3,4) - Amsterdam
  • Day 5 (Aug. 5) - Flight to Milan / MXP (EasyJet) - train to Venice
  • Day 6 (Aug. 6) - Venice
  • Day 7 (Aug. 7) - Train to Florence
  • Day 8 (Aug. 8) - Florence
  • Day 9 (Aug. 9) - Train to Rome (90 minutes)
  • Day 10, 11, 12 (Aug. 10, 11, 12) - Rome
  • Day 13 (Aug. 13) - Train to Naples (about 2 hours)
  • Day 14, 15 (Aug. 14, 15) - Naples
  • Day 16 (Aug. 16) - Flight home

There are numerous ways this could be arranged and this is just one "off the cuff" suggestion. I emphasized more time in Rome, as there's so MUCH to see there. You could certainly take one of those days and add to Florence to allow a day trip to Siena or the Cinque Terre, or cut Venice and add more time to both Florence and Rome.

As soon as you get your Itinerary finalized, I'd suggest getting some hotel bookings done as August is PEAK season in Europe and the hotels will be busy. Many Italians take their holidays then also.

There are some potentially expensive "caveats" with both car rental and using public transit in Italy. You might find it helpful to have a look at some of the other posts here. IMO, you don't have time in this case for car rental and meandering around to "see more sites". Travel via fast trains (whenever possible) would be a much more efficient use of your VERY limited time.

Happy travels!

Posted by
1994 posts

Since you only have 13 days on the ground and you say that Italy is of particular interest, I would suggest flying from Amsterdam (or from Belgium if Brugges is essential) directly to Italy. See the sky scanner website for an overview of low-cost European flights.

I also see no benefit of renting a car in Italy. You mentioned major cities, and a car will only be a headache in any of them. In addition, the high-speed trains – for example, from Venice to Florence or from Rome to Naples – will get you to your destination much more quickly than driving.

In 13 days, I would probably do no more than 3 cities, or a max of 4 if you're feeling really ambitious. That would mean Amsterdam, Naples, and the other 1 or 2 that most interest you. But you may travel at a faster pace than I do. Just recognize that you will lose at least a half a day of touring time each time you change locations, sometimes more, particularly if there are any surprises (which often abound).

Posted by
7 posts

Wow guys, awesome stuff. Keep the ideas coming. I am heading to the library tonight to gobble up some travel books and start narrowing down the cities of interest. I’m starting to consider the plane idea to get us into Italy faster.

Posted by
10344 posts

When you look at the travel books at the library, note the date the book is actually written, as books even a few years old will have out-dated information about costs, travel options, etc.

Posted by
3635 posts

Too bad you bought plane tickets before working out your itinerary. Next time, look before you leap. One thing I'd check into is whether you can get a cheap flight from the low countries to the Venice airport, rather than to Milan. That would save you the time and hassle of getting from Milan to Venice. Since you are going to Amsterdam, you should see that city. 3 nights would give you 2 full days. Attractive as it is, I'd skip Bruges this time. 3 nights for Venice, again, gives you 2 full days. It's not clear why you would want to include Naples; but 2 nights there will give you a day for whatever. That leaves you 6 nights for Rome, Florence, and any nearby places - - Orvieto, Siena, or a Tuscan hill town. Notice I said, "or." Orvieto can be done as a day from Rome; or Siena, from Florence. You will have a better trip if you don't try to flit around too much. I agree with those who say don't get a car. You don't have enough time to get deep into the countryside. Until you experience it, you can't even imagine what a hassle rental cars are in Italian cities - -ztl's, very expensive parking, unfamiliar signage (or lack of signage), drivers who take-rules-of-the- road as suggestions rather than rules - - in short, nightmare!

Posted by
7779 posts

If you make a pilgrimmage in Naples to L'Antica Pizzeria da Michele, allow for possible extra time. In December 2012, we arrived mid-afternoon and were surprised to see a mob of people outside the door. The pizzeria was handing out numbers, and calling them as tables opened up. People waited outside until their number was called, for better than 2 hours (some things are worth the wait). We got our number, hung around for awhile, then walked around the neighborhood (avoiding the broken glass and junk furniture piled up on the sidewalks) before coming back to wait for our number to be called. Unfortunately, the nearby Gelateria al Polo Nord was closed in the winter, so we couldn't sample their wares. You should have better luck in August, and will probably need some gelato, as you'll be there at the hottest time of year.

We found the ruins at both Pompeii and Herculaneum fascinating, and both are accessible via Circumvesuviana train from Naples. As others have said, a rental car probably won't be your best option for these destinations -- it's especially hard enough being a pedestrian in Naples, let alone trying to drive in that city!

Posted by
7 posts

So I picked up Ricks’ 2012 version of Best of Europe at the library just to get me started. I was able to locate a 2013 version at another library and am having it transferred in. So I am thinking 2 days in Amsterdam, 2 days in Bruges with an early AM train to Brussels and an overnight stay there then catching an early AM flight into Venice. Looking at my calendar that puts us into Italy on Thursday the 7th which leaves a solid week in Italy to bounce around. Now, once in Italy, what is the suggested method between cities? I would assume a train? Being my trip is in early August, I would assume booking tickets now is advisable?

Posted by
6898 posts

Much better. You're getting the hang of this travel stuff. Gold star. A big hiccup in your plan was to spend time in the Alps. 8 hours to get there and then another 8hrs to get to Venice. You would have really reduced your time in Italy. Flying from Brussels to Venice is a great idea. At the Marco Polo airport, you can buy your bus ticket into Venice as well as your tickets for the vaporettos (water buses). The vaporetto tickets are sold by time periods (24hr, 36hr, 48hr, etc.). Buy at the airport and you're on your way.

For your travel to Florence, it's the Frecciargento train. 125MPH. It moves. If you can lock in your travel date from Venice to Florence, you can get non-refundable discounted fares as low as 19Euro. I've looked at Aug 8 and some are still available. It's somewhat difficult to navigate the www.trenitalia.com website but we can help if you need it. Or, you can buy tickets for 21Euro on the new Italo train from Venice to Florence. www.italotrain.it In Venice, the train station is right on the Grand Canal (Ferrovia stop).

You certainly have enough time to take a day trip to either Pisa or Siena from Florence. But, I don't believe that you have enough time in Tuscany for a rental car. You'll be on your way to Rome before you know it. If you are departing for Rome from Florence, it's the Frecciarossa train. It's even faster than the Argento train. Or, once again, you can take the Italo train. Also, again, fares as low as 19Euro by buying in advance. After a few days in Rome, it's off to Napoli. Same two train systems and same non-refundable discounted fares if you buy in advance. For this run, you have a third choice. The slower intercity train. It takes an hour longer to get to Napoli Centrale but you can get those tickets for as low as 9Euro. I'm looking at these fares right now for August 14.

Posted by
7 posts

Okay, Hotel in Amsterdam is almost booked. Staying two nights then onto Bruges. Now I need info on the train system from Amsterdam, to Bruges and then from Bruges to Brussels for our flight out.

Posted by
873 posts

Don't know if there are direct trains from Amsterdam to Bruges as I've only traveled Amsterdam to Brussels, but if you have to go via Brussels, it'll take probably 3.5 hours all together (maybe 4 if you have to wait in Brussels between trains). Trains run between Brussels and Bruges every half hour and take about an hour to get there.

Am I understanding correctly that you're flying from Brussels to Italy? Which airport are you using? If you're flying out of Brussels Int'l, it's a short train ride away from the Midi station. If you're flying out of Charleroi on the other hand, plan for at least another hour's journey by either shuttle or train. I've flown out of both airports and if you can help it, fly out of Brussels Int'l.

Posted by
7779 posts

A couple more things about rental cars in Italy. In big cities with traffic, they're more trouble than they're worth. In old Venice, they're not even allowed! In small towns, parking can be a challenge, and some parts are limited to certain vehicles. Photo radar is enforced, so all those cars speeding past you will pay one way or another. Assuming you won't be flying between any of the towns, then definitely enjoy the trains! ;-)