Please sign in to post.

first time in italy

we'll be in italy in august 3-10. FCO is our airport of arrival. first time and planed to stay in spello for 4 nights and make it like our home base. from here will visit assisi and all neighboring towns. is it good that we'll just rent a car since we're a family of 6 (4 adults & 2 kids) than taking the train from rome? use the car going around from spello? we also plan to see florence and pisa from there and i know its about 2 hour drive. our last 3 night will be spend in rome and here we don't need the car cuz i know its more convenient taking the bus/train. please help if my plan is ok? any advise is greatly appreciated. :)

Posted by
32219 posts

Given the size of your group, having a car is certainly one option, but there are a few points you should be aware of. To begin with, you'll have to rent a larger vehicle for 6 passengers with luggage. I haven't checked so I don't know what type of vehicles will be suitable? Another question to add - are you capable of driving a manual transmission?

And the usual caveats for driving in Italy......

It's important to note that for driving in Italy, each driver listed on the rental form must have the compulsory International Driver's Permit, which is used in conjunction with your home D.L. These are valid for one year, and easily obtained at any CAA/AAA office (two Passport-sized photos required, which may be provided by the issuing office). Failure to produce an IDP if requested can result in fines on the spot! Have a look at https://it.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/transportation-driving/ for more information on I.D.P's and driving in Italy.

You may also want to have a look at some of the other posts here concerning the dreaded Zona Traffico Limitato (limited traffic) areas that are becoming increasingly prevalent in many Italian towns & cities especially Florence, which is almost saturated with automated ZTL cameras. EACH PASS through one of the automated Cameras will result in a €100+ ticket, which you won't know about until several months after you return home! This website provides more information - http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/driving/traffic_cameras_speeding.htm

There's also the issue of parking tickets, high fuel costs, tolls and automated speed cameras including the devious Traffic Tutor system which measures not only instantaneous speed but also average between two points. Violate either or both parameter and expensive tickets will follow.

Posted by
3603 posts

Of course, the car rental agents have cars big enough for 6 people and their luggage; but are you aware of how difficult it will be to drive in the towns you want to see? They have narrow streets with very little parking available, even for small cars. I suggest you get more information and rethink your plan. One possibility is that you rent two smaller cars. Another thought is that you find a villa or agriturismo outside of Spello. They usually have parking

Posted by
99 posts

We stayed in Assisi and drove to Spello, Spoleto, Terni and several other towns. No problem driving and plenty of parking. Easiest to park just outside towns to avoid the city centers that are usually ZTL areas. We were going to drive to Florence but decided to take train. We took train from Rome to Orvieto and rented car in Orvieto. We have rented car 3 times in Orvieto once we returned to Florence airport. Florence airport is easy to reach without fear of ZTL areas.

Posted by
99 posts

An additional comment...the streets in Assisi were extremely narrow. We had parking which was no problem but even my husband who has driven many times in Italy commented on the narrow streets.

Posted by
32219 posts

One point to note is that Assisi also has ZTL areas, and the centre of Florence is just about saturated with automated ZTL cameras. Do NOT drive in Florence or it will become a VERY expensive holiday!