Please sign in to post.

First Time Backpacking/camping in Europe for 3 Months

Does anyone have any secrets/tips to camping/backpacking in Europe? We (my girlfriend and I) will be there for 3 months traveling mainly thru the Eurorail system. We prefer to hit camping sites rather than hostels.

Posted by
448 posts

That's too much of a question to ask in this format. You need to do some reading and research first and then come back with specific questions.

Posted by
1717 posts

Hello Thai. In GERMANY : Camp sites are located to the north of (near) Braubach (location of the castle Marksburg). In ITALY : a good small hostel is in the village Manorola (in the Cinque Terre) in Liguria at the Mediteranean Sea coast. In GREECE : camp sites are at a good beach on the island Naxos. A bus goes from the Ferry boat dock (at Naxos town - "Hora") to the beaches at the west side of that island. And there is much to see on Naxos, with ancient paths for hiking in wilderness areas. Buses go to all the towns and villages. The island Corfu (at the west side of Greece) has camp sites. The ferry boat ride to Corfu, on the Adriatic Sea, from Brindisi Italy is very pleasant. ENGLAND: a small Hostel is on the isle of Wight in a residential part of a small town that has a beach on the English Channel coast. Quick ride on ferry to isle of Wight from Portsmouth Harbor (location of old British navy sailing ship H.M.S. Victory and two other old historic ships.
And Lake Distict camping

Posted by
11507 posts

Hello,, you definately need to go to the library or a book store and get a book. Europe is way too big for anyone to answer your non specific question.
Do you like beaches or mountains, do you like big city live or villages, do you like art, museums, sports, history,, what ???
Narrow down a few must sees. Rome ? Paris? London?
Then start asking more specific questions about the various places you like.
I will offer you this though,
when I was in my twenties I did a trip through Europe with a friend for serveral months. One of our favorite visits was the Greek islands. ( We did Mykonos and Paros, plus friend did Corfu) ,, we would have like to spend more time there and do Santorini , but couldn't. Greece was also cheaper then most other destinations we had visited.
We also loved Switzerland as it was so "postcardish" but it was the most expensive place we visited, even more expensive then Paris( which we also loved)
We never camped though.,,yuck sleeping on the ground !!

Posted by
3580 posts

The Let's Go series of travel books would be good references for your trip. Get ahold of a recent or current one for Europe, read it and then ask your questions. Let's Go also has a website where you could get info. The ETBD gang is mostly not a camping/backpacking bunch. Most of us did that sort of traveling years ago (at least I did). Some of us know something about Eurail travel.

Posted by
1158 posts

Fodor's and Frommer's publish a serie of books called "Europe". You will find little bit of info on each country in Europe.

Posted by
1717 posts

Thai, if you want to cook your food at camp sites in Europe, I suggest bring a very small cook stove (for back packers) that can burn gasoline. Bring a good empty bottle for putting gasoline in, and a wide funnel. Buy gasoline in each country in Europe. I would bring wax ear plugs for reducing noise to my ears at camp sites. Try to avoid being at a camp site that is near a railroad, because of the loud noise from trains at night. Read the LET'S GO books on countries in Europe, and read the Lonely Planet books on countries in Europe. Both of those books have detailed information and directions for traveling in countries in Europe. If you want to go to the Cyclades islands of Greece (includes Naxos) the Lonely Planet book on GREECE can be helpful.

Posted by
1717 posts

Thai, for my suggestions of places for hiking and camping in NORWAY, send a private message to me at this website (Travelers' Helpline).

Posted by
9363 posts

I understand that you are seeking personal opinions, but it's hard to know where to start if you don't say what areas you are thinking about. You must have some idea of general areas you want to see?