Please sign in to post.

First draft Itinerary Netherlands and Belgium April 2024

Well, once again you all are essential to my trip planning. Even tho I have many months to plan, I'm always unsettled until I have a draft itinerary. I like to get those hotels booked early!
Flights book RT Amsterdam, nabbed a great Business Class Fare. We travel with carry-on only, are two 70-ish folks with great stamina and mobility, ( thankfully.) We have never been to these countries before, but are fortunate to go to Europe every year. I feel like a newbie on planning this trip, which is two weeks, 13 nites.
Conundrum -
Was assuming we would do Amsterdam ( sleep in Haarlem) early in the trip. But I've since tripped over the fact that the Flower Festival and Parade end in Haarlem, on our last day, so at this point will do Amsterdam (Harlem) at the end.
My husband does not like to spend too much time in big cities, so I initially wanted to do Amsterdam first. (Oh, well...) I was then concerned about the crowds around the Festival and Parade, but realized I tolerated crowds around events like the Xmas markets, because of the fun buzz. I just couldn't tolerate the crowds at Positano this past May, because I didn't feel any fun or attraction to the town.
Interests- I do enjoy museums and art, husband not so much. My husband loves European beers, me not so much. So I send him off on a beer tour and I go to the Amsterdam art museums, perhaps. Any notable local wine to recommend?
We are physically active and will plan moderate bike trips as much as possible in these countries. (Actually, my husband does rugged mountain bike outings regularly.)
I was stuck in my planning, but maybe I have a draft itinerary to start with. If it wasn't for this Forum, I would not have appreciate Leiden. Perhaps this is a great town to recover from jet lag. Please gently provide feedback.
The funky Boutique Staats hotel I found in Haarlem is very close to the train station, is covered by our Avios, and has great booking.com reviews, and should be 10 minute walk to the city center. So if the parade street noise doesn't settle down at night, we are in a quiet area.

LAX to Amsterdam , to Leiden, 15 min train ride
2 nites Leiden sleep (jet lag Tuesday, Wed market, DeValk windmill, canal and walking tour)
4 nites Bruges sleep ( Ghent, Brussels, bike to Damme, day do walking tour and DeHalve Man brewery)
2 nites Delft (Royal Delftware Factory tour, TI walking and canal tour, Maeslant Barrier)
4-5 nites Haarlem ( Two days trip to Amsterdam, Keukenhof Fields and biking, bike to Zaandvoort Beach, De Adriaan Windmill tour, Flower Parade and visit to Festival activities ( float making workshops). Liberally sprinkle in cheese, chocolate, and more beer tours, canal cruises, TI walking tours.)
Flight home is 11:45 am from Amsterdam, so we can stay in Haarlem the last night.

Again, I'm in my first few days of planning. Where did I miss, and what revisions/suggestions do you all have?Thanks so much for all of your in-depth knowledge and experience. Safe travels!

Posted by
350 posts

A number of years ago from Bruge I did a day trip with https://www.quasimodo.be/bus-trips/battlefield-tour Quasimodo tours to a number of war memorials and Flanders Fields. it was a full day trip and I extended my trip to see the Last Post and was returned to Bruges in a pre arranged car. For me seeing where the poem Flanders Fields was written was very powerfull. I have been wearing a poppy and saying the poem since I was in Kindergarten on Rememberance Day.

Wendy

Posted by
1751 posts

I think generally you have a good outline for your trip.

The one modification I would suggest is to stay in Ghent rather than Bruges. It's a shorter train ride from Leiden and shorter back to Delft. Plus it's right between Brussels and Bruges, so you can do day trips more easily. And it's lit up beautifully at night. Personally, I found Bruges to be very pretty, but not a place I'd want to stay for four nights. Other people love Bruges, and that's okay too.

Be aware if you're traveling to either Bruges or Ghent from the Netherlands, you'll need to change trains twice, once in Rotterdam and once in Antwerp.

Posted by
4768 posts

Wendy and Lane, thx for such quick responses. I will do more research. Funny, once you've been in a place, logistics seem so simple, but when it's an unknown, so complicated. Thx again!

Posted by
4768 posts

Thx, Hank. I do enjoy all your posts!

Posted by
11170 posts

Just a side note, Amsterdam is not in the BIG city category, just around one million. Hopefully your husband will enjoy it.
For a nice neighborhood walk, head to the Central Canal Ring area.

Posted by
3958 posts

For your stay in Haarlem you and your husband might both enjoy some time at Jopen, a brewery in an old church. Architecturally interesting and I miss a good IPA after several weeks of being away and they do a good job with craft and traditional beers.

https://www.jopenkerk.nl/haarlem/en/

Posted by
6661 posts

DW's favorites in BE and NL:

Bruges, Zaanse Schans

Leiden > Bruges > Delft:

On either the Leiden side or the Delft side of Bruges, a stopover in Antwerp for a few hours seems justified, given your husband's preferences. A stopover in Ghent (as opposed to making a separate day trip from Bruges) could make sense too.

Posted by
2377 posts

Don't forget to go to the Oude Kerk and Nieuwe Kerk in Delft

Posted by
1792 posts

Thx, Hank. I do enjoy all your posts!

Same same :)

Posted by
4768 posts

Suki, Mona, Russ, thx so much for your help. More colored post-it notes have been added to my board!

Posted by
317 posts

Hi Pat,
I am planning a similar trip April-May 2024. May I ask where/how you nabbed great Business Class Fare? Thanks so much!

Posted by
494 posts

WRT trip timing, I recommend scheduling so that you are in Amsterdam on April 27th for Kings day.
I do not love Amsterdam, but on that weekend it is a great place to be.

Posted by
6403 posts

The one modification I would suggest is to stay in Ghent rather than Bruges. It's a shorter train ride from Leiden and shorter back to Delft. Plus it's right between Brussels and Bruges, so you can do day trips more easily. And it's lit up beautifully at night. Personally, I found Bruges to be very pretty, but not a place I'd want to stay for four nights. Other people love Bruges, and that's okay too.

I would second Lane's recommendation upthread. I stayed in Ghent for 4 nights and just loved it. It's charming, walkable and is similar to Leiden in that Its charm and beauty and overall residential atmosphere made it a wonderful destination. I enjoyed Bruges but there were so many tourists there that I don't think I would have enjoyed staying there overnight. And it's very true that Ghent is more convenient for public transportation and day trips.

Posted by
7327 posts

You have stated that you don't like big cities, so I may be wrong in suggesting to you that I prefer Antwerp because there are so many things to do there. It's not remotely as big as Amsterdam or Haarlem, but bigger than Ghent or Bruges. I think you (and everyone else!) want to pretend that you are living in a medieval city, even though the lovely core is surrounded by banal mid-rise postwar development.

You are certainly not wrong in thinking (?) that "everyone says Bruges is the most romantic place in the world, you have to stay there as long as possible." While you will enjoy quiet evenings and mornings, it is very crowded with daytrippers. Ghent is certainly cheaper, and also a very attractive place. While both Ghent and Antwerp are well-placed for unreserved local train daytripping, Antwerp has enough to do without traveling, for several days. You can also (in Antwerp) walk miles in a different direction every day, and discover new things every day.

Posted by
4768 posts

Kaye,
Regarding that business class fare-
I had been checking Google Flights every few days, plugging in different cities from LAX and SFO. BC fares have been high for about the past 18 months, as far as I could tell, so I was giving up on a good fare out of San Diego, which is a smaller market. A few days earlier, I had spotted $2200 BC fares into Frankfurt and Zurich, and posted it here. So I continued to randomly check, and finally found the British Airways low fares into Amsterdam, which were offered from this summer thru next spring. ( I shared the find here.)
We stacked the AARP discount with the 10% discount using the British Airways Visa card. Because we used those promotions, we couldn't apply any BA Avios to the price. We booked directly with the airlines. AARP membership is open to any age, and is very cheap. You start with the AARP site.
The Google Flights alerts I had set up notified me the next day of the low prices. Since then, the prices have fluctuated- they go high, then back down. Don't give up if the prices go up. Good luck!

Posted by
656 posts

Pat, Seriously excellent airfare research! I didn't know about the added AARP discount, great idea. I really liked Delft, stayed at the Best Western Museum Hotel; clean, great breakfast, nice reception area and just next to the cathedral & an easy walk from train station. I rented a bike near the train station; some nice windmills in town, one that you can climb up inside. I also enjoyed the Delft pottery museum. About Keukenhof - here's where to track the arrival of spring. https://keukenhof.nl/en/

Posted by
4768 posts

Sandancisco, thx so much. I'll check out the site and post-it note iton my board. Safe travels!