Please sign in to post.

Favorite Travel Apps for 2016

1. Has anyone recently found an app they are looking forward to using for travel?

2. Any favorites that really worked well while you were on the road? How about favorite navigation apps that work without data?

Documents To Go worked fine for keeping my spreadsheets of reservations, lodging choices, etc. but I'm not sure it was worth bragging about.

Posted by
1266 posts

Not sure if this qualifies but . . . Currently using WhatsApp to keep in touch with my youngest daughter doing a semester abroad at UEA in Norwich England.

I've also used CityMaps2Go, City Mapper, Pocket, Evernote on past excursions.

Posted by
32318 posts

Brad,

Documents To Go used to be one of my favourite apps for keeping track of details, but lately some of the Excel files won't open and I'm not sure what the problem is. An error code is provided but it means nothing to me. I've been in touch with their technical service, but so far they haven't been able to solve the problem and I've just about given up. The Word files are OK, so the app is still somewhat useful.

Posted by
703 posts

while they are not new, we really enjoy Pocket earth ( for off line map use) and Word lens has surely got to be one of the most interesting travel apps available. its not perfect but how it works is amazing.
I think the secret is to find good ones to download first, then get use to using the app, rather than loading lots of them that don't work well.( eg: on-line only etc)

Posted by
1067 posts

I vote for CityMaps2Go. It is a great app for walking around cities and does not use any of you data plan.

Posted by
9109 posts

The cloud based Microsoft OneNote app has surpassed all others in it's category in the past 12 months. You can literally "throw" anything into any sort of list you are creating: photos, pdf files, youtube videos, maps, webpages...anything you can think of it can handle it and is very easy to use.
You also have the option of downloading lists from the cloud into your device's memory if your going to be offline on the road.

Posted by
6113 posts

Co Pilot is the only app I use in the UK and Europe for navigation. It uses GPS not your data allowance.

I use Trip Advisor for restaurant recommendations and what to do where.

Posted by
10022 posts

Here maps on my Windows Phone. I mark down all the restaurants, museums, cafés, shops and other sights i want to see when I'm at home, sync them to my phone, and then I have data-free maps while I'm abroad, love it.

Posted by
12313 posts

Kim,

I like the idea of getting things on your map before your trip. I'm all for spending time at home to save time when it counts.

Posted by
70 posts

I really like TripIt for keeping all my travel plans in one place. The app builds your itinerary automatically every time you buy a plane or train ticket, book a hotel, etc. I don't have to input anything. And, they have a safe documents area like DropBox so I can upload my passport copies there, etc. So all my important stuff is online and safe even if my phone and baggage were stolen.