Please sign in to post.

euros

Where is the fastest place to buy Euros in the greater Seattle area, with the best rates, of course?

Posted by
277 posts

I would wait until you reach your destination. At the airport you will find an ATM. They will give you the best exchange rate.

Posted by
22 posts

Hi Linda, I just got back from Europe and bought about 300 euro before I left. I'm glad I did, for the currency exchange booths at the airport were closed upon arrival. I'm actually from the Seattle area, and bought the euros at Travelex and didn't even have to wait in line. If you buy a certain amount of euros (I think it was 300), they will exchange whatever you have left back into US$ for the same rate your originally exchanged them. So I came back with 25 euro and exchanged it instead of feeling like I "had" to get rid of the euros in Europe. Make sure you get a few coin euros, too, since vending machines only accept coins, and I really needed a soda after my plane ride!

Posted by
81 posts

If you really feel the need to have euros before you leave, check with any friends who have traveled recently and see you can buy any they might have left over, then get the maximum at an ATM when you arrive (I would offer a bit more than the current exchange rate, by the way).

Banks and currency exchanges are businesses, and they will charge you the most they can. ATMs give you the best rate, and your bank or CU will probably tack on 1 percent for an overseas transaction fee, but it's still a better deal than currency exchanges.

I would also suggest opening an account ($1-$2K) at a second place so you can have access to cash if that ATM on the Left Bank, for instance, doesn't like your first card. It has happened to me at Safeco Field; it can happen anywhere.

Posted by
14 posts

Check out Bank of America. With a minimum purchase (not very much) they waive fees and currency comes in about two days. You can do this at a branch or online.

Posted by
19099 posts

I am not surprised that there was no line at the Travelex booth, because they charge just about the highest exchange rate I have ever seen. Their website is 7%+ over the the interbank rate. I once called an airport desk, and it seemed like they were 10% over.

I believe there is a main branch of Wells Fargo in Seattle? Call them, get their rates, and compare them with the interbank rate on Oanda.com. I have checked them repeatedly, and they average 5% over the interbank rate.