Please sign in to post.

Euros

Should I buy euros in the States before my trip or use an ATM? Doesn't using an ATM in Europe mean that I will have to find one every day?

Posted by
2876 posts

The least expensive way to obtain euros is to use ATM's overseas. You can take out as many euros as you need, up to your own bank's daily withdrawal limit. Note: your bank's daily limit will be a dollar amount; you'll have to do the math & convert it to euros. It's unlikely you'd have to hit an ATM every day, unless you're a big spender. Some people like to get a couple hundred euros before they leave the US, just to have some cash in hand when they land in Europe. On the other hand, every international airport in Europe has ATM's in the terminal. It's a matter of personal preference.

Posted by
156 posts

Tom, beat me to it. Agree with his response. If you want more data, just search on "buy Euros" on this site and you will get lots of opinions. Definitely personal preference. Also, you need to know the policies of your own ATM card provider with regard to fees and daily limits. Be sure to let your bank (provider) know that you will be using your card internationally. If not, they may put a hold on your account.

Posted by
9363 posts

Even if you did have to use an ATM every day (you won't), you won't have trouble finding one.

Posted by
123 posts

Agree with all posters above. I also like to buy some Euros before our trips. You can get them thru Travelex (thru AAA if you're a member). I ordered 300 Euros online and got the cash via FEDEX in 3 days, for a $10 fee. Total was $401.00 USD. Not the greatest exchange rate but I like to have some in my hand when I take off instead of running around through the Airport looking for an ATM! Some banks can also get them for you but you have to have an account with them. I use my local Bank ATM debit card for cash withdrawals in Europe since my bank offers NO FEES. I also requested and received an increase/ authorization to withdraw up to $500 (US) per day (yes, you still have to do the math conversion) -- although I never use that much. Probably visit an ATM only once or twice per week. I use my Capitol One Venture Visa Credit Card for point-of-service payments (hotels, shops, restaurants, tickets, etc.) also, no fees. And yes: Remember to notify your bank(s) and credit card companies of your dates and places of travel, BEFORE you go!

Posted by
12172 posts

I don't buy any ahead of time, getting out of an airport without passing an ATM is nearly an impossible feat. If your card has a Mastercard, Visa, Cirrus, or Plus logo on it, you can use any ATM you find, and they are all over, even in medieval town centers.