Please sign in to post.

Eurorail travel

I am planning a trip to Europe in March . I am taking the train from Sestri Levante on to Murren Switzerland and then a different set of trains from Murren on to Munich Germany. I've been told about an insurance option for $175 which seems somewhat steep. Is that usual and if so do you advise it for most of your travelers. Thanks, Mark

Posted by
8889 posts

I dont know where you are looking, but a train is a train, and insurance is insurance, nothing to do with each other. What is this insurance insuring you against?
You no more need to buy insurance to go by train from Sestri Levante to Mürren and from Mürren to Munich than you need insurance to drive to work, except insurance is always advisable in life.

Posted by
16895 posts

We don't recommend buying insurance on train tickets. If you are talking to an agent like Rail Europe, their insurance fee costs about $10 for each leg of the trip, but a total of $175 would still be too high for one person on those routes. If other aspects of the price look right to you, and you're ready to lock in dates and times, then I'd get back to them to remove the insurance. Claims against the Rail Protection Plan, like other forms of insurance, require a lot of paperwork.

Posted by
32320 posts

mark,

Are you referring to insurance for a Rail Pass, and if so what does the insurance cover? In any case, I wouldn't bother with insurance.