Please sign in to post.

European Honeymoon

My fiance and I just got engaged about two weeks ago... He surprised me with the proposal just 2 days before we flew off to France for a week in Normandy and the Loire Valley, which was an amazing trip. We've been to Europe together twice now (we did London and Paris the first time), and now we're both in love with travel and seeing the world. So of course, I'm already thinking ahead to the honeymoon, in June of 2012. I think we'd both like to go to Europe, but can't decide where. I've Venice is amazing and romantic, and I hear you can take a ferry ride from Venice over to Croatia, which is also stunning. So that's one possibility... I'm also thinking Greece, or perhaps somewhere beachy in Spain, like Andalucia. Anybody have any suggestions? We're thinking that we'll probably want somewhere we can just go and relax, as opposed to running around 'sight-seeing.' I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts! Thanks!

Posted by
689 posts

I'd start taping Rick's shows and see what really speaks to you. A couple thoughts, thoughferrying from Venice (which IS amazing and romantic) only gets you to the Istrian peninsula, in the very north part of Croatia, formerly a part of Italy. It's quite far from the Dalmation Coast (a days drive) which is what people usually are talking about when they rave about Croatia. Second, beaches in Andalucia are not charming places. They are very overdeveloped and just not all that scenic. Not honeymoon worthy IMO. If beaches are the priority, don't pick anywhere in Europego to the Carribean or Hawaii. So watch some of the Greece and Italy shows, or get the guidebooks, and see what looks best to you. I think there are lots of places in both countries that would be great. Realize that June is the start of high season, so you might consider a more off the beaten path destination if you want want tons of people around.

Posted by
8948 posts

Have you thought about one of the beach areas in Sweden or Denmark? You can rent a house and go on bike rides, walks and have lots of peace and quiet and daylight until almost midnight? That would be my first choice for a relaxing honeymoon.

Posted by
1446 posts

You may like combining Barcelona with the Baleares islands (Majorca, Menorca). Start the honeymoon on the island of your choice for a week, rest up and enjoy the Med. Then take the ferry to Barcelona, spend a few days, and maybe finish with another few days in Madrid. Don't try to squeeze more than that onto this itinerary; take it easy...

Posted by
655 posts

For the best beaches consider Bermuda (nice in June) or Anguilla which will also be closer to home and most relaxing. For romance consider Italy; especially Tuscany, Umbria, Venice and Lake Como. Greece is wonderful but only in the islands can you 'just go and relax'. Greece is a place to take your time and study the history but if you want to go and relax in Greece look up: Kitikies in Oia on Santorini. It really is that pretty.

Posted by
4 posts

Have you considered changing the timing of your trip to Europe to September/October when the European Holiday Season is nearing the end? Venice was busy enough when we were there in late September. Expect encountering shoulder to shoulder crowds in Venice, which is less than romantic. However, the best time to see Venice is when the sun is down and most of the day crowds have left. Congrats and just enjoy each other with the plan to always return.

Posted by
75 posts

Everyone's response are thought provoking!! Very appreciated. Right now, I think we're leaning towards a Mediterranean cruise that leaves from Rome, makes 3 stops in Greece, and also Croatia and Sicily... it seems to combine lots of elements that we wanted... but we have 14 months to decide! I know it's more expensive in June, but we have stressful jobs and I know we'll really relish having the time off to honeymoon right after the wedding.

Posted by
524 posts

If you loved the trips you took on your own to London/Paris and Normandy/Loire Valley, I don't think you will like a cruise. I didn't think you were on a tour. You should know that I am totally biased on a cruise vs land vacation. In my opinion, a cruise is not romantic. First of all, you will be on a ship with a couple of thousand of your new best friends and then on large buses with your BFF on shore excursions. Thses buses pick you up in the port parking lots and take you to the "best" places and prearranged restaurants of their choosing. Not much or any time to be on your own. I always think that these are sanitzed visits without the opportunity of cruisers to interact with the country/people they are visiting. Although you can arrange private shore excursions, it is expensive. Also, check out the itinerary to see how long you will be in ports . Note that Florence (1 1/2 hrs) and Rome (1 1/4 hr) are a long way from their ports and thus your time in the city will be significanly reduced. I agree that Venice is not the place to visit in June and that Southern Spain is not a good place to go for beaches. Spain or Italy are good especially if you are spending time in both country and cities. Hope you will be able to spend at least 12 or 14 days on your honeymoon. What a great way to get engaged; leaving for Europe and celebrating! Have a wonderful honeymoon!

Posted by
317 posts

I like Christy's response. Start taping every Rick Steves' show that you can and see what might interest you. How many dyas will you have? My wife and I have found Salzburg fantastic, we also liked Venice a lot too (some people don't). Maybe consider Bellagio on Lake Como? Rome is neat (only one time is needed) if you haven't been. Consider the Amalfi Coast. If you have deep pockets stay in Positano at Buca di Bacco and day trip for a few days from there. Happy Travels

Posted by
689 posts

I would highly recommend doing some kind of short, weekend cruise in the US before committing to a honeymoon cruise. Every independent traveler I know has HATED cruising and it would be such a shame to only find out that you also hate it, on your honeymoon. It's not about seeing foreign destinations, since you get very little time there; cruises are about being on the boat, doing the activities, seeing the entertainment, etc. The little time do you get in port you spend with thousands of other cruisers. Dubrovnik, Croatia is a nighmare between 8 and 2, where the cruise ships let off up to10,000 tourists into that tiny town. But at 2 everyone is herded back onto the boats and the rest of us are left in peace.

Posted by
2128 posts

In June, I'd go to Greece. Fly into Athens and then directly to Santorini for a very romantic start. Then island-hop by ferry back to Athens. Easy, low-stress, beautiful, memorable.

Posted by
4407 posts

I'm with Bobbie...I'd skip the cruise for THIS particular trip for the reasons given. Less is more - don't move around too much; the packing/unpacking and getting acclimated to each new place can wear you out after awhile...If you want to see different things, pick a few places that allow good propects for daytrips. You don't have to tape/record the RS's episodes; they're available on this website, or go to his YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/RickSteves

Posted by
1717 posts

Hello Kris. An island of Greece, such as Naxos, is a good place for relaxing. Better than Italy, in my experience. Be at Naxos for a minimum of four days, and ride in a boat to another island.

Posted by
14 posts

Congrats on your engagement! My husband and I spent 3 months on our honeymoon along the Med last summer. Except for Turkey and Greece, I've been to every other beach on the Mediterranean. (Hubby has been to T&G) I would suggest Portugal and the Algarve. Portugal is such a beautiful country! Relaxed, super friendly and helpful people, and the beaches on the Algarve were beautiful. Prices were much cheaper, too, which was nice compared to Spain, France and Italy. Croatia is also very nice. Lots of beaches to chose from, friendly people. June is a nice time as the weather is good but not too crowded though a lot of transportation was limited in June (especially in Croatia). You can check now to see what flights/trains/boats are available when you are there for next summer. I would suggest at least 2-3 weeks, and wait a few days after the wedding since you'll be exhausted the days after the wedding+jetlag. Happy planning!!