Please sign in to post.

European City Choice for Christmas 2021 or 2022

It has been my wish to spend a Christmas in a city in Europe and I would like some suggestions from those on the forum who have done that.
I will be traveling to Istanbul and Budapest next year (April/May, hopefully), and have Palermo and other cities in Sicily planned for May, 2022. We will be spending some time in Rome after our time in Sicily so would prefer not to do any of those cities at Christmas.
I was thinking maybe Vienna and Salzburg.
We want a walkable city/village, a few Christmas concerts, and Christmas markets if possible.
Please tell me your experience in the cities in which you spent Christmas. Thanks.

Nadine

Posted by
933 posts

I assume you mean BEFORE Christmas - as most of the Christmas Markets close down around Dec. 18-21. Some stay open past Christmas, but our favorites close down before. Confirm this, and then I'll give my recommendations. We go over there for 2 weeks every other December and LOVE it. Have you considered taking a Christmas Market River Cruise to hit many markets and places? We love them.

Posted by
484 posts

Hello Chinalake67.
Christmas markets are not necessary but I would like to hear of your experience so that we can decide if we want to plan our trip for when they are open.
Thank you.

Posted by
933 posts

Have you considered taking a Danube River Christmas Market River Cruise starting in Vienna, Salzburg, Passau, Regensburg, Nuremberg? That is a GREAT way to see many places. Or one along the Rhine to see Basel, Strausburg, etc.

Posted by
7026 posts

Some Christmas markets run until Christmas Eve (12/24) and some even run into January. Vienna, for instance, goes until Jan 3 this year (if indeed it does actually happen). So, you can find cities that will have Christmas markets over the Christmas period. I think Vienna and Salzburg would be great choices - either staying in one for the whole time or splitting your time between them (depends on how long you intend to be there). They are two cities that will have wonderful Christmas concerts as they are both 'music' cities.

Posted by
933 posts

I'd def plan to do the Markets - esp the ones in Germany. I can't imagine going to Europe in December and NOT seeing the Markets. We go over there for 2-3 weeks every other December. We prefer the towns along the Danube. If you don't want to do a cruise, you could start in Vienna and easily take a train to Salzburg, Passau, Regensburg, Nuremberg and fly home from Munich. We love the river cruises because it is so easy and you are in a new town everyday without having to unpack. The guides are amazing and they show you the highlights of each town with a walking tour during the morning, cathedrals, etc - then the rest of the day is yours to explore. They offer shuttles back to the ship every 30 minutes so you go back whenever you are ready. We always go in a couple days early, then stay a few days after on our own. Hotels book up VERY early - we already have ours booked for 2021. We've been on Viking, Uniworld, Tauck, AMA. We like Tauck the best as it's all inclusive, but they are all very good. We've done the markets on our own many times too.

Posted by
4690 posts

We went to xmas markets Nov-Dec 2019, in Switzerland, France [Strasbourg and Colmar], and Germany [Stuttgart, Esslingen, Rothenburg]. It was a fantastic experience.

I do need to stress the importance of booking hotel rooms as soon as you have dates, as I found some hotels were booked by June. Also, each market establishes their own dates, and most shut down Dec 23-24, [except Vienna.] I'm not sure about Salzburg. These latter two cities are supposed to have fantastic xmas markets.

I'd suggest doing a Search here, as dozens of folks have posted wonderful accounts of their trips. If you check my posting history, [around December-January] I have attached detailed accounts of the cities we visited.

I so hope the markets are up and running, and covid is behind us by the time of your trip. Safe travels!

Posted by
484 posts

Thanks for the suggestions.
I have looked into the cruises and they seem quite enjoyable but I prefer to be based in one or two places and spend the week there.
Something to think about for a future trip though.
I have been reading many of the older posts on spending Christmas and Christmas markets so I have a few cities that I think would provide the experience I am looking for.

Posted by
4690 posts

A few more insights:
The winter days are very short : it's not light until about 8:00am and gets dark around 4:30pm.
The markets get very crowded when the locals get off work, as the markets are not just a shopping experience, but an eating and drinking festival. For shopping and really interacting with the merchants, try to do so before dark; to experience the lights and the entertainment, obviously that's best after dark, but that when it's really crowded. The food and alcohol [gluwein] are very reasonably priced.
Most of the vendors want cash.
The local TI's provide helpful maps for the markets, as often there are a dozen markets spread around the old town areas.
We chose to stay inside the old town areas, for the convenience of going back to the hotel during the day, putting our feet up and warming up, etc. These hotels are more expensive, and book up months in advance, but we felt it was well worth it.
We brought hand warmers to use inside our gloves.
The xmas markets are great adventures and I can't wait until it's safe enough to return!

Posted by
60 posts

Prague is lovely around Christmas time. VERY walkable city, lots to do and the Christmas markets are nice. Many interesting little towns around for fun day trips if you're interested. Vienna is great too, very walkable and much to do. I didn't find Salzburg as nice...beautiful little city but just didn't have much that appealing to us.

Posted by
1368 posts

Here are some links to Christmas Markets. My mother & I were scheduled to go this year, but will have to reschedule for 2021 due to current events.

Munich: https://www.muenchen.de/int/en/events/christmas-market.html

Nuremberg: https://www.christkindlesmarkt.de/en/

Regensburg (3 markets): https://tourismus.regensburg.de/en/explore/unique-features/christmas/christmas-markets.html

Strasbourg: https://noel.strasbourg.eu/en/les-marches-de-noel

Colmar (Just a short train ride from Strasbourg): https://www.noel-colmar.com/en/

Salzburg: https://www.salzburg.info/en/salzburg/advent/salzburg-christmas-market

Salzburg, Dinner & Advent Concert at Fortress: https://www.salzburghighlights.at/en/

Posted by
331 posts

Nadine, given that you would prefer to stay in one place, it sounds as if a larger city would be your best bet. We did a number of Christmas markets a few years ago. Strasbourg France was our favorite. Vienna and Budapest a close second. Nuremburg was very nice also. I understand that you are not going for the markets but for the atmosphere. These 4 cities will provide you with what you are looking for.

Posted by
8658 posts

London.

Lots of Christmas concerts, markets, lights, etc.

Have spent at least a half dozen Christmases in London.

Kew Gardens is gorgeous. Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park is free and enjoyable. Review Timeout London online for concerts, pantos, galleries, theatre, etc.

Spitafields Market has a fabulous card store where I bought Christmas cards to send out this year.

Look for Santa Runs. Nothing more fun than watching hundreds of runners in Santa Suits running for a charity and then finding discarded Santa Suits and hats in bins outside pubs.

EDIT: As far as Christmas Markets there is a large one on the banks of the Thames. There’s also Southbank Centre Winter Festival. You will also find many Christmas Theme booths at Portabello Market.

EDIT 2:
Make note that on Christmas Day there is NO public transport. Tube and busses shut down. It’s time to be with family. Thus London is pretty closed down.

I find it a fabulous day to enjoy a walk.

Last year it was through and about Petersham Meadows in Richmond Park to the flooded Thames River path to Richmond and back to my accommodation at the Premier Inn on Lower Mortlake Road. In the afternoon watched the Queen’s Christmas message while sipping Earl Grey Tea and eating from my packet of Walker Pure Butter Shortbreads.

Throughly enjoyed being in a London Suburb and if I hadn’t fallen asleep and missed attending I know I would have liked Christmas Eve mass at St John The Divine.

Posted by
4313 posts

The only city we've been to for Christmas is London and we liked it better than NY in Dec. You have to reserve seats far in advance but we really enjoyed the Christmas Service at Westiminster Abbey on Dec 23

Posted by
510 posts

I concur with the suggestion for London. I have been there twice in December and I don’t think any city, as a whole, does Christmas like it. They don’t have the Christmas markets like Germany etc. but the seasonal atmosphere is everywhere. The most basic shops are decorated and the large scale store and street decorations and lighting are wonderful. A Christmas concert at Royal Albert Hall is divine.

Posted by
1226 posts

Hi. I would choose Munich as my hub. From there you could take day trips, or multi-day trips via train north (Regensburg, Augsburg, Nurenberg, even Rothenburg), south (Garmisch, Mittenwald, Innsbruck), east (Salzburg).

Munich itself offers so many experiences: multiple Christmas markets, including my current favorite, the medieval festival; churches - I had a near-mystical experience in Der Alter Peter on a Saturday evening. It was called Night Fever and the entire church was lit by candles while a small guitar/choral group provided music. Outside, thousands were carousing in the main Markt, which was too overwhelming for me. I also serendipitously stepped into the Theatinerkirche on a Sunday morning while I was walking to the Alte Pinokothek and experienced - for a brief time - a Sunday service. I could go on and on.

On this most recent trip - Dec 2019 - I took a train down to Garmisch which was easy to achieve. The market there was of a village sort with local organizations selling sausages and wine and homemade ornaments. Oddly enough, one of my favorite experiences there was stepping into the local H&M store and trying on winter fleeces with local shoppers.

I have not recently achieved visiting any of the "northern" destinations I listed above, so these are on my radar. However, the mountains always call me, and I enjoy the Brenner Pass train route with its many options to stop: Innsbruck, Bolzano, down to Verona (and on a perfect trip, over to Venice). I encourage you to explore the Tyrolean Christmas markets, some of which have dates beyond Dec 25.

Depending on your timeframe, a compact multi-day trip may include Munich, Salzburg, and Innsbruck (or the region), circling back to Munich. Or M - I - S. For me, short trips to Vienna have not been totally satisfactory as I felt rushed.

Now, my ultimate longish trip would start in Strasbourg, on to the Colmar region, taking in the Black Forest, down through Switzerland, over to the Brenner Pass via the Arlberg Pass trainline and then down to Venice, time permitting, or up to Munich and home if not as much time. This would encompass quite a bit of time. I have not really planned out the entire concept but could break it into chunks, if time necessitated.

So many possibilities: Munich remains a great hub for train travel and is also quite walkable.

PS, I have no experience with Christmas in Berlin but have read some inviting descriptions of Christmas there and in the surrounding Harz Mountains.

Enjoy your planning and your trip.

Posted by
6363 posts

If Christmas markets that stay open past the 24th are important, consider an orthodox country where they celebrate christmas in January. That means the markets will stay open until then as "real christmas markets" and not just as tourist attractions. E.g. Tallinn, they have a nice Christmas market, a charming (and walkable) city, and being a bit further north means a much higher chance of snow. There is also quite a large Lutheran population so you will not feel out of place celebrating in December. Lviv has also been mentioned by others as good option, but I can't say much about it. Just note that some orthodox churches (e.g. the Finnish orthodox church) celebrate in December.

Christmas concerts are everywhere in December, so you will not have any problems finding that.

Posted by
739 posts

I am currently unable to travel due to family reasons as my traveling companion has a chronic illness and I have to take care of him.
But I have thought that perhaps when things change (hopefully not anytime soon in my case). I would like to spend Christmas in Europe. But I would be traveling on my own and I wonder if that is a good idea at Christmas time. Of course I would be by myself at home so...
Anyway I have thought about spending a week or so in Germany going to Christmas markets and such. (Ideally take a River cruise)
Then a train to Paris for a day or two to see what it looks like at Christmas then on to England.
It would be a relatively fast trip but that would be intentional for a few reasons. First off I have seen a good chunk of Germany and spent a couple trips in London and Paris. So I don’t need to “see” these locations and “experience” them. I just want to see what they are like at Christmas.
And I don’t want a lot of time on my hands to think about things and those folks that are not with me.

My real problem is Christmas Day itself. I would prefer not to spend the day by myself eating leftovers in my hotel room.
Ideally I would like a place with a “Christmas feel “. Where I can be amongst people. But I am not sure that is an option in Europe (or in the US really)
Oh well I hope to have a while before I have to really consider this, but I am afraid it may be sooner then I hope.

Posted by
6363 posts

My real problem is Christmas Day itself. I would prefer not to spend
the day by myself eating leftovers in my hotel room. Ideally I would
like a place with a “Christmas feel “. Where I can be amongst people.
But I am not sure that is an option in Europe (or in the US really)

I really hope you won't have to plan for this in many years. But it is certainly an option. However, it will require a bit of advanced planning as many European countries more or less shut down for a day or two over Christmas. But there are hotels that offer Christmas packages where you spend a few days over Christmas and celebrate with all the other guests. There are other places that arrange Christmas celebrations as well if you know where to look. But you need to decide what is important for a Christmas feel to you, as that is probably very individual. (As someone who has grown up in Scandinavia, snow is very important to me for a Christmas feel. But others might have different priorities.)

Also, note that many European countries celebrate Christmas on the 24th, and some do it in January.

Posted by
7659 posts

You should probably wait until 2021 at last for a Christmas trip.

We lived in Germany for four years and loved going to the Christmas markets. However, I just can't image going to Germany in late December considering the cold weather and short days (it gets dark at 4:30PM). If you do go in December, take a warm coat, gloves, warm socks and footwear as well as a good cap for your head.

On going to Istanbul and Budapest, both are great places.

We did Istanbul in Fall and the weather was nice. Plan on about five days to see the sites. Try to stay close to the old city are where the Hippodrome is located.

Budapest should be nice in April or May.

Posted by
484 posts

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone.
This is exactly what I was looking for. I read about Christmas in Tallin and that does appeal but then London does too.
And we really like London at anytime :-). As it is, I have time on my side before I need to make a decision.
@geovagriffith - I've been to Istanbul a few times - spring and winter. I liked spring time best and was there for the tulip festival which was lovely to see.
I am sure Budapest would be great; I am looking forward to it (cautiously).

Posted by
4690 posts

We went to xmas markets [Swiss, French, German] Dec 2019, and the cold wasn't a problem, as long as you plan for it, and have the appropriate clothes. The markets are so exciting and there's so much energy to enjoy- in addition to the warm gluwein. We did bring hand warmers , and used them in our gloves, which was nice. I had a full-length down coat, [bought in July on sale], comfy waterproof booties, and usually wore one or two thermal or cashmere layers under my coat. Scarf and gloves were cashmere, for warmth. It usually did rain, generally in the evenings, so make sure your coat has been treated with a waterproof spray.
IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, GO FOR IT!!!

Posted by
2427 posts

We did a Christmas market trip in 2015. We started in Strasbourg with a day trip to Colmar. Strasbourg had gorgeous decorations as did Colmar which is a much smaller town and very charming. I really recommend that you not miss Strasbourg and Colmar. We also went to Rothenburg, Munich, Salzburg (side trip to the tiny markets in the Salzkammergut) and then Vienna. All of these were wonderful and each a little different. We went to a Strauss concert in Vienna and did the cafe scene. Vienna and Munich have some wonderful museums as well if you want a break from the markets. I want to do this trip again. It was so fun.

Posted by
6363 posts

I read about Christmas in Tallin and that does appeal but then London
does too.

One big difference between them is that the UK is one of the most extreme countries when it comes to shutting down over Christmas. There is no public transport operating in London on Christmas day, and very limited on Boxing day and Christmas eve, most sights are closed and few restaurants are open. Estonia on the other hand is a country where large parts of the population don't celebrate Christmas in December so there will be less of a shutdown.

Posted by
4690 posts

I second- or third- Strasbourg and Colmar !