Please sign in to post.

European Christmas Markets

We will be in Europe Dec. 22- Jan.2 this year. Can anyone give me recommendations of "Must See" Christmas Markets, or "Must Do" when in Europe over Christmas?
Kim

Posted by
11294 posts

Europe is a huge place. Where exactly will you be and on which dates? Otherwise, people are just throwing darts to recommend things to see and do.

Posted by
11 posts

We have not decided where to start. Thinking fly into Zurich and go to markets in Germany/ Switzerland? Or fly to Munich and then travel to Austria?
We will end in England after Christmas.

Posted by
1008 posts

Many markets close on 12/22-24.... so if you want any german ones you need to hit those first.

Salzburg's is open until 12/26. Vienna some until the new year I think. Prague and Berlin as well (I know because those are places we are going!)

I believe in my research Strasbourg and Paris also went past Xmas. But the german ones do not. So make sure to research in advance before you decide where to go.

We chose Prague for the actual 12/24-26 days because they still have a lot going on. Many German cities kind of close up on the those days.

Posted by
6113 posts

Half the cities in Europe these days have Christmas markets. You are arriving a bit late to experience many.

The time between Christmas and New Year is a difficult time for travel, so you would do better to plan your trip around this factor, not markets. Many Europeans will have booked their Christmas flights months ago.

The markets in Germany all seem to sell similar goods IMO. Seen one, seen 'em all, almost.

Try to limit yourselves to two places. The UK is cheap for Americans (assuming this is where you are from). London has a large Christmas market on the South Bank. You could spend the entire time there as there is plenty to do.

I would opt for Berlin (great modern history) and plenty of Christmas markets, then London.

Posted by
12040 posts

The markets in Germany all seem to sell similar goods IMO. Seen one, seen 'em all, almost. Pretty much. A few, like Lindau and Oberstdorf, stand out for their settings and some unique merchandise and food, but your visit won't coincide with their dates.

Can anyone give me recommendations of "Must See" Christmas Markets, or "Must Do" Pick a city based on which one you want to see overall, and if your visit coincides with the market's opening days, enjoy it. Doesn't matter what city, but the timing of your visit will limit your choices. "Must do"? Grab a mug of warm Gluhwein and enjoy the people watching and atmosphere. That's the main draw of the markets anyway, not the redundant merchandise.

Posted by
548 posts

We went three years ago and especially enjoyed the markets at Colmar, Munich and Prague. It's true that some of the merchandise being sold is the same and can be more "trinkets" than anything else, but it's not all that way. The cities themselves are decorated beautifully. It really puts you in a festive mood....or maybe it was the wine! In Colmar and Munich the markets were all over the city. So much to see! Enjoy!

Posted by
2466 posts

If you will end up in London after Christmas, be aware that there is no public transportation at all available on Christmas Day, and public transport will be severely limited on Boxing Day.
The Christmas markets in London will be well over with, but decorations will still be up in department stores and along the shopping streets.

Posted by
19496 posts

The Markets in Budapest are open until January 1st. I have only been to London (once) and Budapest (on 3 occasions) at Christmas. London was little more than a deserted wasteland; Budapest is still very much alive and full of things to do.

These days with cheap direct flights on the discount carriers Europe has gotten a lot smaller. Budapest to London is as low as $45 on Wizzair or Easyjet or Ryanair and $150 on the major carriers.

Posted by
11613 posts

I went to several cities in Germany and Belgium, and the Christmas markets were open until New Year's Day or the following weekend, so I guess it depends. I was in Bavaria, mostly, so perhaps those markets are open longer. I would check each city to be sure. I had not planned to see any Christmas markets, so they were all a bonus.