Please sign in to post.

Europe, with 3 year old, June 2018

We are headed to Basel for a workshop June 7-9, 2018-looking to add 2 weeks or so onto the trip. We have a 3 year old. We have done extensive world traveling prior to having a kid - so the trip will be less about seeing history and more soaking in kid play. We are looking for kid-friendly ideas/low stress for itinerary - warm beaches, swimming, animals, playgrounds. We have traveled pre-kid to Italy, Portugal, Russia, Geneva, Prague, Ireland, England. Not sure yet if we will rent a car or go by train. Looking for good food also, hopefully. Thanks in advance for your ideas!

Posted by
8889 posts

June will be the start of the Summer. Hot. If you want Sun, Sea, Sand, head for the "Med" (Mediterranean).

Lots of kid-friendly things in Basel. but mostly for older kids. the one place I guess he/she will like is Basel Zoo.

Posted by
3046 posts

We stayed in an agrotourismo in 2011 near Salzberg - actually near Altmarkt in the country. Our children (22 22 25 at that time) loved the country, seeing chickens and sheep, and really enjoyed the farm atmosphere. With your little person, doing that kind of thing - country scenes, little pressure, no museums, hikes in the woods - would be really great. Plus it would be seeing a part of Europe you don't get to see as a "regular tourist".

Posted by
12 posts

I might be going against the grain here, but I don't know if I would make the bulk of my trip centered around kid friendly activities. Not for a three year old, at least.

Now don't get me wrong, I think finding a few kid friendly activities is a good idea (you'll need it...traveling with kids is hard), but I wouldn't skip the museums and other "boring" adult stuff.

When our kids were that young, the only thing we didn't take them to was the movies (unless it was a kid movie). Otherwise, our kids did what we did. Including camping at 6 weeks old.

Bottom line, find something your kids will enjoy...just don't make it the sole purpose of the trip.

My $0.02.

Posted by
5262 posts

Summer holidays with a 3 year old are best centred around water. The Med in early June is still going to be on the chilly side so whilst the beaches may be warm, venturing into the water might be too much. Waterparks are a great option, most will be open in June and many have areas specifically for toddlers.

I'd opt for one of my favourites, Mallorca. Great waterparks, an excellent aquarium, fascinating caves, safe child friendly beaches (particularly Es Trenc), one of the best Spanish cities, incredible food and the island is easy to explore by car. We've been taking our kids there since they were five and threy love it there.

Posted by
451 posts

I have travelled with our little one since she was 10 months, 22 months and 3 years old. We used a child carrier like the Osprey Poco carrier. It was big enough for her to move around in and carry all her essentials. It has a sunshade and can purchase a rain shield. If she got tired in she went and we kept walking. She will limit your activities for the day. My wife and I would trade off the sights for the day. The 3 year old would get tired and start to make noise or moving around, and one would eventually take her outside while the other would continue seeing the sight or museum. Find a park in the middle of the day. We planned all of our big sites in the morning. It worked best. she became restless as the day went on. But I have seen lots of strollers, with large wheels, like running strollers.

https://www.rei.com/product/895652/osprey-poco-ag-plus-child-carrier?CAWELAID=120217890002315482&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=15723878200&CATCI=pla-284576002738&cm_mmc=PLA_Google|404_33647|8956520003|none|390d6734-cdb9-4e8c-9b6c-e228a9cbc4b6|pla-284576002738&lsft=cm_mmc:PLA_Google_LIA|404_33647|8956520003|none|390d6734-cdb9-4e8c-9b6c-e228a9cbc4b6|pla-284576002738&kclid=390d6734-cdb9-4e8c-9b6c-e228a9cbc4b6&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0vCzmLK72gIVhkOGCh0yNQH5EAQYAiABEgKFOfD_BwE

Posted by
1825 posts

You haven't been to France? Paris is a direct train from Basel (3+ hours) and Luxembourg Gardens and Euro-Disney are there.

Posted by
3049 posts

For the start of your trip, the Bodensee (Lake Constance) is near Basel and is great for kids. Clean, safe swimming areas, boat trips, Meersburg castle, the Zepplin museum, Mainau island...tons for families to enjoy at a relaxed pace in that area, and it's largely unknown to North American tourists. (Maybe I should be glad Rick leaves out some of the best Southern German sites in his book!)

It's possible to explore this area by train, although car is probably going to be a little more convenient.

Posted by
1436 posts

I agree with Sarah! But beware the water in the Bodensee can be cold!:). I bet you could probably rent a bike with either a trailer or child seat also! The ride between Constance and Mainau would be very nice. Another great place on the lake is Lindau.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you to all who commented!!! We decided to fly in to Paris, get over jet-lag, spend a week in Mallorca (please send recommendations on which side to stay on if you have them...we have rented a car but haven't found a hotel yet...) then to Basel/conference and the mountains around there, back to Paris and then home. I really appreciate ALL that took the time out of your day to comment and give us tips - you guys are the best!

Posted by
11507 posts

Love Mallorca.. weve twice stayed in Cala D'Or.. lovely small town.. lots of cafes and shops.. and some fun parks for kiddies.. and none of the rowdy party atmosphere that can be found in some of the towns on the island. .
Last trip we spent two days in Palma and loved it too.. we previously just flew in there and immediately transferred to Cala.. but this time we decided to spend a few days there first and loved it.. next trip we will give it 4 days.

In Cala there is a lovely apartment style hotel ,, right on a nice beach.. small but kid friendly , good pool etc. .Inturhotel Cala Azul park.. we stayed at the adult only sister hotel.. but of course walked by and through that hotel and thought it looked very family friendly ,its nice to have a kitchenette even if you eat dinners out.. for snacks and breakfast etc