Please sign in to post.

Family Europe Trip

Hello All,

My name is Sadhna and I am from India but been living in Tokyo since the past six years.

I finally convinced my family - my parents & younger sister to travel to Europe and it would be our first trip here. Since my parents are running old and at times you want to offer them the best unsure if you get chances again ( I lost a sibling four years back) so I struggle to make this perfect, enjoyable and safe for them.

Taking these factors into consideration I have been struggling on the below. Your help & advice will be much appreciated!! Also, to give a background - my family would enjoy variety and different tastes of Europe. For instance, Rome has wonderful architecture or Florence has great art, but after seeing a little and having a feel, we would want to see something different... so seeing too much of architecture would not fascinate us.

We plan this trip from August 12 (arriving in Europe) to leaving Europe on August 20th. I know it's summertime but this is the only time we could have all our leaves aligned.

So based on my 3 week research -

3 nights in Paris ( Versailles, Notre Dame, St Lourve, river cruise)

Then a 2.5 hour train journey to Bruges, Belgium.

Stay for 1 night in Bruges and enjoy the canals, chocolate, Belgian beer and fries!

Next day take a flight from Brussels and go to Prague.

Spend two nights in Prague.

Then two nights in one of the places of Italy - Venice ( confused as Bruges is known as Venice of the North), Florence or Rome.

I know that each place is peculiar and has its own taste & abundance to offer and sometimes the beauty is simply enjoying time with your family, but if any place is something that gives a similar feel, please feel free to suggest!

I guess my emotions are overwhelming me... and .... I know that sometimes slowing down is the best way to enjoy !!!

I thought Paris would offer its unique charm, palace, art... Bruges is about the old Europe and canals that for people like me who write poetry & love literature ( although an engineer by profession) would adore and so would my father esp.

I thought prague would be better over Budapest since I travel with my parents...

Venice is paradise I hear but not sure if that, Florence or Rome would be better... we would take a flight from Prague to whichever of them...

Seeing some sights during the day and at night enjoying a meal and just observing the place is what we are looking at... not to cover all attractions that the place offers.

Sometimes after losing your sibling ( atleast physically, knowing in spirit she would be with her family) - with whom you enacted Romeo Juliet you just are so happy about having a chance with your family that it makes you nervous; although hoping that this is just one of our many forthcoming Europe trips !!

Thank you to all for your valuable suggestions in advance :)

Posted by
8889 posts

Sadhna, Italy will be hot in August, especially in Italy, but as your family lives in India hopefully it will not be too hot for them.
You only have 8 nights, it will be a quick trip, but you have a reasonable plan for those 8 nights. Each time you change locations, you will loose (waste) at least ½ day, check out from hotel, travel, find new hotel and check in. Plus, depending on the times of your flights from and to India, you may not have much time on the first or last days.

You have picked a good range of places for your limited time, they are all different. Big city (Paris and Prague), smaller town (Brugge), and one very unique place (Venice).
Brugge and Venice are very different places. they were both very rich once, but have been "frozen" in the state they were. They also provide a contrast between northern and southern Europe.
Venice will be a nice end location. You have now time for both Venice and Rome, and choosing Rome would make you trip too many cities.

I assume you have already found flights from Indai to Paris, and back from Venice to India?

I believe Indian citizens need a visa to enter the Schengen Area as well as passports. Have you arranged this? All the countries you list are in the Schengen Area, so you will enter the Schengen Area in Paris, and exit from Venice.

Posted by
5 posts

Dear Chris,

Thank you so much for your valuable suggestions and insights; that really gives me some confidence.

I would be applying for my Schengen visa in the coming week to the Embassy of France.

Since the flight frequency is better from Prague - maybe I could travel to Venice from Bruges and then go to Prague - travel back to India from here.

Or maybe what you suggest is that Venice would be better as a last destination and not right after Bruges?

I was waiting on freezing on the places in order to book my tickets - so I am open to changes.

India is pretty hot, we touched 42 degree Celsius, this May - so I guess the heat shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Do you think I should cut down on something or the places are do-able & enjoyable together!

Thank you again for your suggestions - much appreciated !!

Posted by
1921 posts

Hi Sadhna,

I think slowing down and not moving so fast will be a more enjoyable trip for your family. I wouldn't stay less than 3 nights in any place, so having said that, I think you should just chose 2 different locations. You want this to be about your family together creating wonderful memories. Spending just 2 nights only gives you 1 day to see the city, spending 1 night only gives you a few hours. Moving locations takes time, adds stress, adds cost, and I think will take away from the quality time as a family rather than add to it.

Chose 2 locations, maybe Paris and fly (cheap and fast) to Venice or Prague or train to Bruges, but then stay put. Fly into one city and out of the other. You don't have that much time, so slow down and enjoy it!

Sounds like a wonderful trip. I lost my sibling many years ago also, and it puts into perspective how important family memories are.

Have a wonderful time!!

Posted by
6113 posts

You are trying to fit too much in, particularly with your parents.

I would suggest that you have 5 nights in Paris as there is so much to do, particularly if you want a day in Versailles (you could spend the entire time here and not get bored). Then fly to Prague for 3 nights then fly home from Prague. Bruges is good for a day's sight seeing, but you don't need 3 nights there. Rome really deserves 4/5 days to do it justice, so you don't really have time for this and Paris.

Venice will be far too busy, so the queues for the attractions will be too long for elderly parents. If I were going here, I would have booked my accommodation months ago for the best choice. Venice is very expensive.

Two nights somewhere is only one full day there, so try to spend at least 3 nights / 2 full days in places.

Posted by
5 posts

Dear Susan and Monte,

Thank you for your valuable suggestions... And also thank you for sharing your loss - I am sorry to hear that! It took me four years to set my feet on the ground again! I am sure your brother is close to you.

You are right, I should slow down. Else I would be checking in & out and thinking of the next flight to take rather than enjoying...

I would try to focus on two places and spend quality time there!

I know choices are personal, but any suggestions on Paris, Venice and Prague - your favourite two?

Posted by
5 posts

Dear Jennifer,
Thank you for your suggestions!

You are right, I need to consider that I am traveling with my parents and also being the summer time some places are going to be very crowded.

So the duration anywhere should be 3 days at the minimum.

Paris is a big city like Tokyo ( I know it's not quite comparable and is very unique)... but hence we had kept it to 3 nights.

I am having a tough time choosing on Prague / Venice ... Rome needs some time, as you meantioned - so I will keep that for my next trip maybe.

I know Venice would be crowded... I have read all possible sources on travel to Venice, but it's more convincing when hearing from someone - would you consider Venice to be more unique or a must-see as all describe?

Thank you again for your valuable suggestions - it helps me a lot!!!

Posted by
1921 posts

That is very much a personal choice, and I can't really help you because I have not been to Prague.

We traveled to Venice back in 2008 when there were fewer tourists ( due to recession) than I believe there are now. I've heard Venice in swimming with people, but, it is very unique and nothing else like it in the world. If you go, plan for it to be crowded and walk the back streets away from the crowds as much as possible. It is a beautiful, amazing place! I think 3 nights is fine for Venice.

We love Paris, our favorite large city. I'm glad you plan to go there. I personally would give it more than 3 nights ( that's only two full days). Just sitting by the Seine, wandering around, going to Luxembourg gardens, seeing museums, going up the Eiffel Tower, and taking a Paris Greeter private tour, etc. there is so much to do.

We love driving cars into the countryside of any country, however, that may not be your style of travel. In any case, you will have a wonderful time. Any choice you make will be great!

Posted by
5 posts

Dear Susan and Monte,

Thank you so much for your kind suggestions - that indeed helps a lot !!

We wouldn't be driving as I don't have an international driving license.

In Paris what would be the most central area to live in ? Since I am with my parents it's better to be close to the places where we can board buses / trains to other attractions more easily..

Your description of Paris, makes me wanna be there soon.

Thank you :)

Posted by
7881 posts

Your plans involve way too much travel for 8 days.

I would eliminate any flights and spend more time in Paris, then rail up to Brussels, visit Bruges, then take in something closer like Amsterdam.

Venice is special, I understand your desire to visit the city. If you must stick with Venice, then I recommend staying in Italy for the trip and also visiting Florence and Rome.

Posted by
1117 posts

First of all, I am sorry about your loss. Even if it is some years ago, it will still hurt I am sure, and losing a sibling or a child - for your parents - certainly is one of the most difficult things to cope with.

I agree with the others that with elderly parents especially, you may want to slow down and reduce your itinerary to two places. I don't know how active your parents still are, but taking your time at each place will make it so much more enjoyable for all of you.

There are of course people who do enjoy spending their whole vacation behind the wheel, and there are people who love to sit in a bus for eight days, happy to see all the views through a window only. And sure, it's o.k. to feel that way. However, that certainly wouldn't be my idea of a special family vacation, spending a large proportion of my precious vacation time in some kind of vehicle, rushing to the next destination. So, as the others said: Each change in location is going to cost you half a day at least, very likely more.

Think about Bruges, for instance: With only one night, you will have barely more time than for a dinner and a breakfast. Sounds pretty stressful to me. Might as well have that in Prague and make your time there two full days.

Seems like you have been trying to decide between Prague and Budapest. I have been to neither one, so I can't judge for myself, but I have had a number of people tell me that Prague was absolutely one of the most beautiful cities they had seen, so I think you made the right choice there.

Between those Italian cities, I would throw out Rome. It's too large and has too much to see for only one full day.

Or, as the previous post suggests, make that whole trip a one country tour, an option I'd always prefer for such a short trip. You probably wouldn't think of visiting Japan, Korea, and Vietnam all in eight days either. Seven days only actually because you cannot really count the arrival and departure days.

Posted by
70 posts

I am in Prague right now and I see tons of elderly Asian tourists enjoying themselves, even walking on cobblestones. It's a compact tourist area for walking with excellent transportation to some outlying tourist sights if needed. The architecture is a feast for the eyes, just sitting on a bench and enjoying the views everywhere you look is a magical experience.

I love, love Venice... but it's a difficult city to tour if you're in charge of other family members, in my opinion. It's a place that requires more transitions (on Vaporetto water bus, off vaporetto, walk here and there, get lost). Transportation to and from airport is much more involved than you'd expected.

I would choose Florence over Venice if I were to take my parents. (If yours are anything like mine, they get cranky with too many changes).

Posted by
3941 posts

If you do decide on Venice - there is one way to beat the crowds...OK, there are a few ways.

First - get up early and head out - I was up at 6:30am with my mom (she came with my husband and me to Italy in 2014 and I was so glad to be able to show her Amalfi, Rome and Venice...she was my early morning walking companion while my husband slept in). We went to an almost empty Rialto Bridge and St Marks Sq. It was so nice to stand on the bridge to look at the Bridge of Sighs alone, without fighting elbows and selfie sticks. After that, we'd go back to the room for breakfast and then head back out. I find by 10am, the run between Rialto and SMS is getting crowded. Also, stay out in the evening after the cruise ship hordes have left. This is why it's very important to stay on Venice proper if you can.

Second - if the crowds are really annoying you, walk about 5 min away and it's like a whole diff spot. The worst areas are around Rialto Bridge, the walk between Rialto and SMS as stated above, and along the Grand Canal past SMS. It's so easy to get away from the crowds. We've had 4 visits there in the last 9 yrs and I love it, and have learned how to avoid the crowds.

Some people hate Venice because they never get away from the crowded areas.

Posted by
7175 posts

If you are set on Prague then by all means. Belgium or Amsterdam offer a flight free alternative with high speed Thalys trains from Paris.

Either way consider 5 nights in Paris and the remainder of your home at your other choice. Five nights means four full days ...

Day 1
•Eiffel Tower (Opens 9:30am)
•Notre-Dame de Paris
•Place des Vosges
•Centre Pompidou
(Closes late at 10pm - ex Tue)

Day 2
•Arc de Triomphe (Opens 10am)
•Palais Garnier Opera
•Tuileries Gardens (Orangerie)
•Louvre Museum
(Closes late Wed,Fri at 9.45pm)