Please sign in to post.

Europe in the winter

Looking for suggestions for Europe travel places in Nov to Dec. that are also kid/family friendly (will be traveling with 4 and 6 year olds). Thank you.

Posted by
33465 posts

Disneyland Paris Seriously Shella You have given us exactly zero information about what you enjoy, where you have been before or anything else that would allow a sensible answer. As far as I can tell the only purpose of the visit is to amuse a 4 and a 6 year old. So, Disneyland it is.

Posted by
3050 posts

Well, it will obviously be cold in the north, and you're from Fremont so I assume you're not used to cold! (I lived in Oakland for over a decade, adjusting to winter here wasn't easy!) Starting the last week in November (usually) are the Christmas Markets (Weihnachtmarkts) in Germany and all over Europe. Those are great for kids and adults. But otherwise I'd focus on the south - Italy and Spain maybe - where it's likely to be cold but not freezing.

Posted by
2193 posts

OMG, Nigel's reply reminded me of a story I just read earlier this week about Napoleonland. I still can't figure out if it's a joke or not. Apparently, someone is proposing this theme park be built about one hour from Paris/Disneyland. They'll have battle reenactments and the guillotining of a king (actually that part is kind of cool). Is this the most ridiculous thing you've ever heard of? Who the hell wants Napoleon when you can have Mickey? But if it's done in time, maybe that's a place to check out with the kids.

Posted by
9092 posts

May sound undemocratic but the 4 and 6 year olds don't have a vote on where to travel. Where do you want to go? What do you want to see? My personal bias is London. So much to share with the kids there. Rent an apartment and watch Pantos at Christmas time, lunch in a pub, take them ice skating, listen to carolers, watch them chase pigeons in Trafalgar Square, ride the London Eye, day trip to the zoo. Wander their gorgeous parks, feed the waterfowl and use their playgrounds. See the dinosaur exhibit at London's Natural History Museum. Visit Hamley's. Investigate Mudlarks at the Docklands Museum of London. The Horniman Museum is great for kids. Same with the Science Museum. Stroll across the Millineum or Tower Bridges. See the street performers in Covent Garden. Visit the numerous markets Nottinghill, Camden Lock, Spitifields, Bourough's etc. Watch the Horse Guards parade. Check what's playing at The Unicorn. Sit up front atop the buses. Great POVS. Ride the Tube. Tell them it's like BART. If the weather is good take a cruise up the Thames to Kew Gardens.

Posted by
7 posts

So, I realize I wasn't very descriptive. My husband and I have to Europe everal times and really want to go somewhere where neither one of has been before. I know London would be great, we both love it more and more every time we have been there. But, hoping for a different adventure this time. We have been to most of UK, Tuscany, Prague, Vienna, Salzburg, Amsterdam, France, Belgium. So, we were thinking along the lines of Spain or Portugal for the warmer weather but don't want to travelling too much between cities. Hoping to keep it at 2 different cities at probably about 5-6 days each. We were also thinking about Rome but not sure the kids would be upto doing a lot of museums, maybe they can do 1 or 2 at the most (if we're lucky!!).
Any ideas would be very appreciated!!

Posted by
2193 posts

Madrid and Barcelona are easily connected by AVE fast train, although 5-6 days each seems like alot . It's not super warm but much better than north. I was there in late November...low 50s F for highs...low 40s F for lows...misty/rainy with a little fog half the time...some broken clouds and a little sun the other half. Barcelona will be a couple of degrees warmer.

Posted by
976 posts

A great thing about Rome is it's so walkable and there is gelato eveywhere!& who doesn't eat spaghetti?
Also, antiquities are sorta everywhere in the central area. You can have a great meal, visit the Vatican, run up the Spanish steps, watch the Tiber flow,and have a gelato while you admire Bernini- you just can't stay as long. I suggest Italy because it is * usually* warmer, but I am partial to Munich for kids also if you have the coat for the weather.

Posted by
410 posts

I live in Spain so am biased but I will suggest it anyway. Southern Spain will be one of the warmest places in Europe that time of the year. The Spanish adore children and take them everywhere with them. Depending on how long you have, I would suggest an apartment in the old part of Seville as one idea. Kids and hotel rooms are not a great mix.

Posted by
813 posts

Go to Venice then take the ferry over to Croatia. A lot of variety of things to do and see.

Posted by
13 posts

If you're planning on staying in Spain, I would suggest browsing Barcelona apartments. It's a great city to experience, but some of the hotels are a bit questionable. You can rent an apartment that will give your family all the space it needs for a long term or short term/vacation stay.

Posted by
3696 posts

I would pack up the coats, hats and gloves and take them to Germany and Austria for some real Christmas Markets. Absolutely beautiful time to be there...definitely kid friendly and a whole new experience of the holidays in the cold.... I was there last Nov/Dec and actually the weather was quite pleasant and even mildly warm a few days. Since we expected it to be really cold, it was great. I don't mind travel if I expect it to be cold, but going someplace I would rather be when it is warm (souther Spain, for example) is usually a bit disappointing to me.