Please sign in to post.

Thanks Everyone for your suggestions - Europe in November

We are running the Athens marathon this November. Our last day in Athens will be the Sunday before the Thanksgiving holiday. To avoid traveling back to the States that week, we were thinking of going to Paris. However, this might require packing two types of clothing based on the difference in temperature ranges between the (2) cities. Any recommendations of destinations in warmer parts of Europe? Places where English is readily spoken?

Posted by
4517 posts

Our last day in Athens will be the Sunday before the Thanksgiving holiday

FYI: Athens can be really cold at the end of November. There are the expected averages, then there is one's personal experience, lows barely above freezing and highs in the 40s.👎

Posted by
4372 posts

You can look at weather averages on a website like wunderground. I would venture a guess that southern Spain or Italy would have temps somewhat similar to Athens in November.
The warmer places are less likely to have "English readily spoken," but anyone dealing with tourists will. Why worry about that? Just learn a few polite phrases and be on your way.

Posted by
15582 posts

rather than look at averages, I look at actual daily data for the last few years. Here's Paris for November last year.

I'd expect Rome and Barcelona to be equally mild then and both have plenty to enjoy after dark. I'm not sure about Rome or Barcelona, but I think Paris is pretty well decked out for Christmas by then.

Posted by
96 posts

I did the Athens Marathon a few years ago (you will love it esp finishing in the stadium!!)--weather was perfect in mid 60s. It was never that cold during our trip. I have been to Athens a few times since at same time of year and never even needed a heavy jacket. We did have rain 1 day. Great time to get the freshly pressed olive oil too!
Good Luck!

Posted by
247 posts

Portugal. as warm as it will get in November in Europe. everyone speaks good english and are friendly.

Posted by
27109 posts

Well, that depends on what you mean by "Portugal". Seville is warmer than Lisbon, on average, and considerably drier. The Algarve would be a more even comparison to Seville, but there's really no comparison from a sightseeing perspective.