Please sign in to post.

Europe in August

I am told that due to the heat and slower season that August may not be the best time to go to Europe. I would like to hear from people who have done that. What country would you recommend. Are many place/activities closed due to locals being on vacation or has that changed? How about eastern Europe?

Posted by
1117 posts

Well, France - or Paris at least - has the reputation of being practically vacated and closed down for four weeks in summer. But that's certainly not true for all of Europe.

Your question is very general. Europe spreads out over a lot of climate zones. Have a look at climate tables. And what one person may consider intolerably hot may just be comfortably warm to another, so it's really hard to say without knowing what you are looking for. If you would tell us where you live, it might be easier to help you compare.

Generally speaking, there are three aspects that influence heat:

• North - South
  • elevation
  • proximity to large bodies of water

The farther South you get, the hotter. The higher up, the cooler. The farther away from an ocean, the hotter (in summer).

Posted by
27236 posts

The heat in August won't be much different from what you'd have in July. Which isn't to say it won't be a problem for you. Expect it to be, on average, beyond miserable in central and southern Spain and central and southern Italy. In 2015 I had consistently hot weather in non-mountainous areas of northern Italy, east-central Germany, Slovenia, Croatia and Romania. Bulgaria was hot then began to cool off and get a bit rainy in late September. All of those places (plus Barcelona, August 2016) were up in the 80s F but not consistently well into the 90s like the problem parts of Italy and Spain. Southern France has had some very hot days already this year. But you could get lucky and find those places having somewhat milder weather.

I haven't been to central Europe, Greece or Portugal since Global Warming kicked in.

There's considerable variation in people's tolerance for hot weather, but even for those of us born in the SE United States, the heat is draining on a long trip. The problem is that for most destinstions, choosing a schedule that guarantees no extreme heat puts you at risk of rain, chilly weather, or both. So you have to weigh your options and decide what is most important.

To me, weather is a far greater consideration than mid-summer closings. It's quite unlikely that attractions will be closed except for holidays and their regular days of rest. It's mostly small restaurants and shops that are sometimes shuttered at some point during July or August. (It's not just August.) And I was under the impression that was primarily a French/Italian practice. But if you travel early or late in the year, you may find that attractions open later, close earlier, take longer lunch breaks, are closed an extra one or two days a week, etc. Go to a small coastal resort too early or late in the year and the place may be so dead it feels uninhabited.

I was warned by information in guidebooks but was still surprised to find how limited some tourist services are on the French Riviera and in Provence during May, for heaven's sake. One museum I wanted to see doesn't open until June, and a bus I needed didn't start running until then, either.

Posted by
11507 posts

Paris is neither vacant or closed down in August .

Posted by
490 posts

I can speak for August in Paris...which I have only done once in 25 years of visits...and will not do again...it is not busy ( except for tourists), and many of the FINER restaurants are closed or not doing the usual menu ( junior chefs in some cases)

If you are a first time vistor and this is the time that you have...go to Europe but build in at least 2 days out of 7 , 3 out of 10 for beach or lake swimming to relax and enjoy.

I have been to the Naples region of Italy many times in July...again main focus was a beach holiday.
South of France with Paris trip would be great. 4 nights in Paris 3+ in Nice and Riveria
Florence, Rome for 5-6 days with time for beach near Rome or go further south...for beaches
If flying into Milan, go to Lake Como town and then on to Venice..fly home from there..

Croatia for eastern europe would be a less expensive alternative to Italy...but is typically not the first place people visit in Europe.
Be sure you have air conditioning. I have stayed in Copenhagen many times...one time in August and it was HOT as HELL...thankfully I was traveling with a small fan as it was unusually hot...climate change is affecting places that are not READY for it..and therefore do not have the creature comforts like air conditioning that many are used to...

Posted by
490 posts

I can speak for August in Paris...which I have only done once in 25 years of visits...and will not do again...it is empty, and many of the FINER restaurants are closed or not doing the usual menu ( junior chefs in some cases)

If you are a first time vistor and this is the time that you have...go to Europe but build in at least 2 days out of 7 , 3 out of 10 for beach or lake swimming to relax and enjoy.

I have been to the Naples region of Italy many times in July...again main focus was a beach holiday.
South of France with Paris trip would be great. 4 nights in Paris 3+ in Nice and Riveria
Florence, Rome for 5-6 days with time for beach near Rome or go further south...for beaches
If flying into Milan, go to Lake Como town and then on to Venice..fly home from there..

Croatia for eastern europe would be a less expensive alternative to Italy...but is typically not the first place people visit in Europe.

Posted by
5308 posts

August in Europe is school holidays, vacation time and people heading for the beaches. I wouldn't want to be traipsing around city centres visiting sight after sight. Either come in August and relax with the locals or visit earlier or later for more accommodating climate.

Posted by
11369 posts

I can speak to August in Italy, especially Rome. The tourist areas are still open-for-business, but the residential areas most tourists do not visit are remarkably vacant. It was quite shocking our first year to find streets that would have been bumper-to-bumper any other business day deserted at 6:00pm. Many restaurants, shops, and newsstands in the neighborhoods do close for all or part of a month. It's a cultural phenomenon we enjoyed...except for the oppressive heat.

The mountains -- Italy's Dolomites or Switzerland's Alps -- offer respite and unparalleled beauty.

I would not go to a beach in Italy (including Sicily) nor Croatia as that is where the crowds from the cities go. The beaches are wall-to-wall people.

Posted by
6113 posts

Your question covers far too wide an area, with many different climates.

August is when all the schools are on holiday, so if you haven't already booked your accommodation, then you will be too late to find anything in many destinations. August isn't a great time for city breaks, as you would be better heading to the coast.

June and September are better travelling months.

Posted by
7688 posts

We lived in Germany for four years and have traveled back to Europe extensively in the past seven years.

We have been to nearly all the countries in Europe (still missing Serbia, Romania etc.)

Coming from South Georgia in the USA, the heat in the MED in August is what we are used to experiencing. However, it would not be my preferred time of the year. For one thing, in August in the MED, you wear a shirt one day and that is it, it needs washing. Yes, you can wear shorts, but then if you go into a Cathedral, that is a problem.

Great Britain is a great choice, as would be Ireland (rent a car and see the countryside for both). Eastern Europe is interesting. Also, it is cheaper than Western Europe. Great time to visit Russia. We did a Russian River cruise and it was great.

Think about the Czech Republic and Poland, perhaps include Berlin. Hungary is great, include Vienna if you like. A Baltic cruise or a Norwegian Fjords cruise are super.

Posted by
11294 posts

"The tourist areas are still open-for-business, but the residential areas most tourists do not visit are remarkably vacant."

This point of Laurel's is important. Paris and Rome don't "close" in August. However, many locals do take vacations then. As Rick put it, it's tough to find a dentist then. And if you have your heart set on a specific restaurant, definitely check that it will be open; there will always be a place to eat, but many restaurants do close for several weeks at that time. But the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, the Vatican Museums, and the Colosseum (and less famous sights too) are all open in August.

If you are concerned about heat, going to Scandinavia at that time is great. It's also a region that is not so great outside of summer, so it's a double win; you see Scandinavia at its best, and avoid other regions at their not-best. Of course, Scandinavia is potentially expensive (Norway especially so), so there's always trade-offs.

Posted by
11613 posts

Summer is the only time I can take a long trip, but I am finished by early August.

Some places can be very hot, you just have to plan and work around the heat. In Italy, archeological sites early in the morning (with water and a hat), museums and/or a rest in the afternoon. Reemerge around 4, thankfully hours are longer in summer, so you can still get a good day's worth of sightseeing, even with an afternoon break at your hotel.

And cross the street if you must, to walk in the shade.

Posted by
2609 posts

I can't travel in summer due to my job, but the year I turned 50 (2 years ago) I made a big fuss and was granted time and I went to Vienna and Budapest; all sites were open as expected, neither felt unpleasantly crowded but it was hot, like 88-95, and humid, and in Vienna it rained quite a bit at night. I have since discovered that I much prefer to travel in May and might also consider late Sept and October.

Posted by
3391 posts

It's silly to say that any cities in Europe close down for the month of August...that simply isn't true! Yes, a lot of people go on vacation but that won't effect any of the museums or other attractions you wish to visit as a tourist. You'll find that there are many, many restaurants still open. Don't make that a reason to not go...it just isn't the case.
That said, it can be miserably hot in much Europe in August especially further south, obviously. I would focus on Scandinavia! It can still be quite warm but you'll have more in the way of breezes, less stored heat in city concrete and stone, and beautiful open spaces and views! The coast of Norway is amazing in August. The further north you go the more beautiful it gets. Cruise up the fjords and walk the paths along the shore and in the mountains. One of the prettiest countries in Europe IMHO!
Eastern Europe is really nice but can also be very hot in the summer months - worth seeing but I would do it in a cooler season if possible.

Posted by
5407 posts

I live in Europe. I work in August. I grocery shop in August. I ride the subway in August.

Posted by
1117 posts

Oh come on now. I've had at least five people protesting against - I assume - my post.

Unfortunately, no one seems to have read it properly. I never said Paris closes down in August. I said Paris has the reputation of being closed down in August. Isn't the difference quite obvious?

I don't think anyone can seriously deny that Paris does in fact have that reputation.

And the original question starting out with "I am told..." it doesn't seem all that far-fetched to make a connection to popular rumors. And, as with most rumors, there is probably some truth to it, though quite obviously "closed down" is not to be taken literally.

BTW, where is Pinch? Too bad he or she hasn't shown up again to tell us more about what he/she is interested in, or what temperatures he or she would consider (too) hot for traveling.

Posted by
14580 posts

I have been in Paris in August, it's hot, sometimes, a real broiler. Paris is packed in August, the Metro, the regional trains, the sights. One advantage going in August to Paris is that there are hotels that offer a lower rate since it is their slow season. I have experienced this being there in August, same as in Vienna. Forget the heat, you put up with it. The locals do it, I had better too.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks everyone for all of your comments and replies. Its helps guide me and I think we will head for northern Italy or Scandinavia.

Posted by
12172 posts

Here are a handful of places that I'd want to visit in August:
1. Baltic capitals/Scandinavia
2. Atlantic Coast in northern Spain
3. Iceland

Here are places I wouldn't want to visit in August:
1. Southern Spain
2. Southern Italy
3. Big tourist cities like Rome and Venice (it will be both really hot and really crowded).

I'd worry most about the heat and number of tourists rather than services being closed. The essentials are always available. People do take their vacations in August, which means crowded places are more crowded. Hotels, restaurants and grocery stores will generally be open anywhere you go.

Posted by
123 posts