Please sign in to post.

Europe in 2008 in July or the next year (2009) in May or September?

I'm already planning trips for the future and I'm dying to take the 21 day Best of Europe tour, but I'd like some input about crowds and climate. If I go next year it has to be in July, but if I wait until I retire in 2009 I can go whenever. Is it worth waiting or should I just go for it?

Posted by
215 posts

My wife is a school teacher which limits our travel to the summer. I believe it depends on where you are going to some degree. I would never again travel in Italy during the summer months as it is just too hot.
However, Poland for example is delightful in the summer. However, heat waves sometimes hit making it
uncomfortable in places you would not expect. For example we roasted in Great Britain last July as it was the hottest on record. Crowds are also going to be larger in summer no matter where you go.

Posted by
473 posts

We have gone to Europe only in shoulder season. Crowds are far less. For example, we walked right in to the Vatican Museum in November. Same with St. Marks in Venice. In contrast, just read the "To The Boot" forum to see how many people try to avoid the lines. Not many places in Europe have air conditioning, but they all have heat. So if the temperature takes a turn for the worse, you will at least be comfortable indoors in the spring and fall. There is a Rick Steves video of the Rothenburg town square that looks like a WalMart on the day after Thanksgiving. When we were there in April, you could have held a rodeo in the town square, there were so few people. Also, airfare will be cheaper. I vote for May. Or September, if you can hold out that long.

Posted by
1568 posts

I vote for May.

I waited until I retired and went for 8 weeks with my daughter.

You may find that once you are retired and have the time you may want to go on your own and stay as long as you like in each place.

There are all kinds of day tours available. You have the internet and have the tools to do all the research.

I will be going to Israel this fall and taking a tour due to the situation. I prefer to plan the details of my trips.

Retirement if great.

Posted by
368 posts

Hi Jane;

I too have met people who have put off trips and regretted it. I agree with other posters, go next summer, but use it as a research trip. Go back after you retire and spend longer. Also remember if you go on a Rick Steves tour you will will have appoinments for museums etc. It makes it easier.

I have travelled mostly in the spring and get a lot of rain and in one case snow. So weather can present challenges at any time of the year.

Posted by
2030 posts

I avoid travelling to Europe in the summer like the plague, but waiting until 2009 is too long -- particularly if this is your first trip to Europe. I agree, go on the Best of Europe tour as soon as you can. Be prepared to deal with potential hot weather and crowds, and use it as a research tour for another trip of your choice in the off-season.
I'm sure there will be several places you want to re-visit.

Posted by
683 posts

Don't put off a trip until you retire. Go and enjoy THIS trip and then take another.

Posted by
2779 posts

June 7 to 29, 2008 is the football Eurocup in Austria and Switzerland which means plenty of great parties (but also premiums for hotels in Vienna, Salzburg, Zurich, Geneva etc). Don't procrastinate, go next year!

Posted by
705 posts

Go 2008. You never know what the future holds. If you do decide to go 2009 then I'd suggest May. I tend to travel anywhere between March and early May and I have always found the weather great. Maybe I've been lucky. If you are on a tour the crowds shouldn't worry you too much as everthing will be organised for you.

Posted by
1717 posts

I suggest go to Europe as soon as you can. In the year 2009 the price for airline tickets might be too high, and their might be less airplanes and less airlines that year. (The airlines are experiencing financial problems). Anything could happen : in the year 2009 there might be a war, or a disease epidemic, and no one could go to Europe. If the Rick Steves tour of Europe is affordable, go on that, in 2008 : it would certainly be a pleasant way to see Europe. I think the summer crowds would not be a serious problem if you are in a Rick Steves tour group.