Please sign in to post.

Europe 2019

Going to Germany and Italy in 2019 would like to see one more country any suggestions. Was thinking Spain or France, maybe Switzerland or Ireland

Posted by
1056 posts

For us to advise you it would be helpful to know what time of year you plan to travel, how long your trip will last and what your interests are. Europe is a diverse continent, and each country has much to offer, so you will not “see” everything any country has to offer. You must narrow down your list of interests in order to choose wisely.

Posted by
6113 posts

You have previously posted that you want to visit Oktoberfest and Berlin for a week (Berlin is a 5 day minimum city IMO) and Rome, Amalfi coast and Florence in a week - nowhere near enough time to cover this area, so I would suggest that you spend additional time in Italy rather than visiting a third country, as you will spend a day moving from one county to another. Alternatively, just stay in Rome and add a third location.

It would be helpful if you could state your interests, otherwise you will get so many suggestions that the advice won’t be much use to you.

Posted by
7662 posts

Not sure how long your trip will be? You can easily spend two weeks in each of Germany and Italy, just going to the key places. For example doing Rome, Florence and Venice will take about two weeks of your time.

If you want another country, Austria or Switzerland would be good. Austria has Innsbruck, Salzburg and Vienna as attractions and Austria is less expensive to visit than Switzerland. Of course, Switzerland has lots of things to see. Interlakken is a great place to spend a few days.

Posted by
8 posts

We are in the planning stages we have unlimited time but limited funds, would 2 days at the Oktoberfest be enough, would like to tour Berlin being our first time suggestions are welcome, I am a WWII buff. Would we fly from Germany to Italy or take the train. Also my husband wants to do the autobahn. Was suggested to get a book from Rick STeves on traveling Europe.

Posted by
8 posts

We are spontaneous really not tour bus people we like to see things and if not interested to move on really like out of the way things, little towns, diamond in the ruff places.

Posted by
6788 posts

we have unlimited time...

Probably not "unlimited" - assuming you are from the USA or other country that has to live with the Schengen rules for tourists (you're limited to 90 days).

...but limited funds

Well, how limited?

Why don't you start by sharing how long you propose to be gone? That's a good way to gauge whether or not your plans are reasonable.

Posted by
4318 posts

I suggest you get theRick Steves books for Germany and Italy and map out an itinerary. You may well decide that you have more than enough places to see without adding a third country.

Posted by
5262 posts

Is it Oktoberfest in particular that interests you or are you open to other, less touristy beer festivals?

https://www.departful.com/2013/05/5-german-beer-festivals-that-rival-oktoberfest/

What is it about the Autobahn that interests your husband so much? It's nothing exciting, simply a designated stretch of road with no upper speed limit, it's no different than driving any other Northern European motorway/freeway other than if you're in the outside lane expect many BMW/Porsche/Audi drivers to come hurtling towards you from behind and flashing their lights if you don't get out of their way. I certainlh wouldn't base my trip on it.

Posted by
14507 posts

I suggest Austria. If not that, then France for sure. I'll be back in the summer of 2019 in all three....Austria, France to be sure, and Germany.

Posted by
32747 posts

Have you traveled anywhere in Europe previously? What country are you coming from?

Posted by
27111 posts

If youmhave only 3 or 4 weeks, I'd stick with Germany and italy with perhaps one stop in either Switzerland (much more expensive) or Austria. Germany and Italy have tons to do. You could spend 3 months in either one of them.

Posted by
597 posts

Austria seems to be the logical choice since it is between Germany and Italy. Try to travel on a straight line so not to backtrack and fly open jaw. If you start in Ireland on your way to Italy that opens up a lot more countries than if you start in Germany but the more you move or the greater the distance the more time you will loose travelling and changing hotels.

Posted by
4637 posts

Logistically it should be Switzerland or Austria. Look at the map. If you don't fly you have to go via Switzerland or Austria to get to Italy from Germany. Both countries have excellent tourist infrastructure with wonderful scenery - Switzerland even more. However Austria is cheaper.