Please sign in to post.

Europe 2016 1-month Itinerary - Looking for Feedback/Advice

Hello everyone,

I am planning a one-month trip to Europe with my girlfriend for the summer of 2016. I just wanted to get some feedback on the itinerary and budget - whether you would do anything differently, any advice, etc. Thank you in advance for your help!

We are in our mid-twenties and this is our first backpacking trip to Europe. Our plan is to fly from NY to Warsaw to visit family for a week, go to Hamburg to visit some friends and explore, and then continue on to other places. We will be staying in hostels (private room wherever we can get it) or airbnb where it is affordable, and going to sit-down restaurants for SOME meals. We also hope to go to a club/bar one night in every place, and do paid activities. We both like walking around cities, checking out local food/drinks, the outdoors (parks and hiking), and some museums/castles (but we don't want museums/castles to be all we do on this trip!).

I am looking for any feedback (good or bad) on the below itinerary and budget. Please let me know your thoughts, whether you think this is realistic, what you would do differently, etc. I wanted to take out one place to spend less time moving around, but we couldn't decide what else to eliminate (we took out Amsterdam and Nice from our original plan). However, I am open to any ideas - thank you!

The thing I personally want to do most is to visit the Alps (I was thinking of doing this in the Munich area - Mittenwald, etc. - please let me know if you have any suggestions to hike/bike in the Bavarian Alps). Her must-sees are Paris, Rome, and London.

32-night Itinerary:

Warsaw - train to Hamburg

Hamburg - 3 nights, then train

Berlin - 4 nights, then flight

Prague - 3 nights, then train

Cesky Krumlov - 1 night, then shuttle bus

Munich/Bavarian Alps - 3 nights, then train

Venice - 2 nights, then train

Florence - 1 night, then rent a car to explore Tuscany and drop off in Rome

Tuscany countryside - 2 nights

Rome - 4 nights, then flight

Paris - 4 nights, then flight

London - 5 nights, then fly back home (includes day trip to Stonehenge)

Budget:

Total: 5,600 euro / person

Daily: 100 euro x 32 days = 3200 euro

Round-trip flight to/from Europe (open-jaw): 900 euro

Transportation b/w cities: 650 euro

Stonehenge Day-trip: 118 euro

Extra (laundry, souvenirs, etc.): 230 euro

Emergency fund 10%: 510 euro

Posted by
20945 posts

Looks like a sweet trip. I'd only say take the Eurostar from Paris to London. Buy tickets as soon as you can to get the best price. I believe you can get them as much as 6 months in advance. Another thing, going from Warsaw to Hamburg you will have to change trains in Berlin, but there are EC trains that go direct from Hamburg to Prague, even though they do pass through Berlin. So maybe do Berlin before Hamburg.

Posted by
5142 posts

Since two nights means spending only one full day (and part of an arrival / departure day) you are, imo, short changing yourself with regard to Venice. You might consider dropping one night in London and adding it to Venice which many (including myself) think deserves more than just one full day.

Posted by
6713 posts

It's a high-energy trip, for sure, I might have been up to it at your age. But consider that you're spending about one-third of your days moving from city to city. On those days you'll see scenery in motion, plus a lot of stations and airports. You're young enough to have an excellent chance of returning to Europe multiple times if you like it, and IMHO you'll like it better if you focus on fewer cities this time.

I agree about Eurostar vs. flying from Paris to London. The train is much easier and probably faster. But you might get a better airfare. See what your options and tradeoffs are.

Posted by
11613 posts

Unless you have traveled for a month with your friend before, have a "safe word" for when one of you wants time alone, no questions asked. Fast pace, limited time, different personalities.

Posted by
7175 posts

Maybe train Warsaw => Berlin => Hamburg, then fly Hamburg => Prague.

Definitely Eurostar Paris => London

Posted by
1994 posts

I suggest you combine Florence and Tuscany, staying in one place and doing a day trip to the other. It saves the wasted time finding/checking in/checking out pf a another hostel.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks for the tips everyone - this is very helpful!

I will definitely look into the Eurostar for Paris-London.

Sam, this is a good idea: Warsaw-Berlin-Hamburg-Direct EC train to Prague. I've also read that parts of this route are scenic, so might be better than flying (and probably same amount of time).

Sherry, I think we'll just pick up the car in Florence and drive out to the countryside (and leave the city for another trip).

There are 2 things left that I would like to figure out:

1) I added a night for Munich/Bavarian Alps

In this area, Mittenwald is where I want to go the most, but there's no good way to get there from Cesky Krumlov. I was thinking of taking a shuttle bus from CK to Munich first (4:30 hrs) and train to Fussen (2 hrs). Stay there one night to see Neuschwanstein Castle the next day and train to Mittenwald (2.5 - 3.5 hrs, I found different things online). And stay there 3 nights and then go to Venice via Brenner Pass (Innsbruck).

We would be going to Fussen just to see the castle. Do you think this is worth it, or should we forget it and go straight to Mittenwald (or even stay 1 night in Munich - but that doesn't seem like it's worth it for such a short time).

2) TC - One more night in Venice. I am still considering adding a night here - but we are constrained by a time limit when we have to return :(

Thanks again all for the feedback!!

Posted by
544 posts

I think you'll enjoy Munich a lot. The beer hall atmosphere is very fun and welcoming. I'd stay at least 3 nights in Munich and then continue into the mountains. I feel like you would really enjoy staying a week in the mountains. Rest and relax.

At that point maybe plan or revise your planning for the second half of your trip. You need reservations for your transatlantic flight and I think your plan up until Munich sounds great, but since it's your first trip you can play things by ear and decide while you're in the mountains high above Europe what you want to do your last week or two.

You might meet people that you want to end up traveling around with. You might prefer to go to a beach somewhere or another part of the Alps, or meet up again with your Polish or German friends and travel somewhere with them.

There's a benefit to reserving ahead, like getting the best price for Eurostar, but there are always alternatives. Using the Eurostar example, there are also plenty of flight and ferry options that would be fine alternatives even if they take a little longer.

The internet will be with you to make onward reservations and you will be learning and exposed to so much!