Please sign in to post.

EURO 2028

Now that this year's EURO's is over we can now look forward to the 2008 tournament which is being hosted by England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Ireland. This would be a great opportunity for football fans keen on a visit to the British Isles and to take in diverse scenery and local customs, see some iconic sights and take in some of the greatest football played in the world.

The stadiums listed to host the games are:

Wembley Stadium (London)
Millenium Stadium (Cardiff)
Tottenham Hotspur Stadium (London)
Manchester City Stadium (Manchester)
Everton Stadium (Liverpool)
St. James' Park (Newcastle)
Villa Park (Birmingham)
Hampden Park (Glasgow)
Casement Park (Belfast)
Aviva Stadium (Dublin)

It's currently not decided if all host teams will automatically qualify as UEFA's rules state that only two host nations can automatically qualify. Hopefully they can find a solution to allow all to qualify and it would be fantastic if England and Scotland met each other at the final.

Posted by
106 posts

Can’t wait!!! Sorry England didn’t prevail this time… but who knows what the future holds? :-)

Posted by
2330 posts

Its actually a bit weird that the UK gets the field three teams in international Soccer tournaments, where other countries only field one...

The logical thing to do would be to have Ireland qualify automatically, and have the four UK teams do a small mini tournament amongst themselves to determine who represents the UK.

Posted by
1655 posts

"it would be fantastic if England and Scotland met each other at the final" - aaaah, we can only dream, JC.

Wales versus Finland would be even better; imagine that, twenty-two terribly handsome men on the field at the same time.

Posted by
1614 posts

Too bad my beloved Anfield won't be hosting. It's a great stadium.

I will be retired by 2028!! Woo hoo!

Posted by
5461 posts

Its actually a bit weird that the UK gets the field three teams in international Soccer tournaments, where other countries only field one...

The UK has never been represented as one country in international football because it comprises of four separate countries. There's nothing weird about it.

Posted by
5461 posts

Too bad my beloved Anfield won't be hosting. It's a great stadium.

Indeed it is and very conducive to a great atmosphere.

Posted by
1614 posts

Indeed it is and very conducive to a great atmosphere.

My understanding is that Anfield will not be awarded an international match as long as reporters that are affiliated to the Sun are disallowed entry. And that's not likely to change.

Everton better get their new owners in place and the new ground finished!

Posted by
2815 posts

Compared to World Cup 1966 in the meantime VAR is established, also at new Wembley Stadium ... but the Euro 2024 showed somehow that the regulation and interpretation of handball need improvement.

Posted by
5461 posts

My understanding is that Anfield will not be awarded an international match as long as reporters that are affiliated to the Sun are disallowed entry. And that's not likely to change.

Really? Where did you read that? Very interesting if that's the case.

Posted by
2330 posts

The UK has never been represented as one country in international
football because it comprises of four separate countrie

The UK hasn't been comprised of separate countries for some time. AFAIK there is no "Scottish" or "English" nationality. Y'all British.

Posted by
1614 posts

Really? Where did you read that? Very interesting if that's the case.

Someone from Liverpool told me, but as I said, its only my understanding and would benefit from some research to confirm.

Posted by
5461 posts

The UK hasn't been comprised of separate countries for some time. AFAIK there is no "Scottish" or "English" nationality. Y'all British.

Except when it comes to sporting tournaments although there is Rugby's British Lions however that's in addition to the individual country teams.

Posted by
5461 posts

Someone from Liverpool told me, but as I said, its only my understanding and would benefit from some research to confirm.

I reckon that's a bit of Scouse "economical with the truth".

Posted by
265 posts

Well, you’re mistaken.

Posted by
265 posts

The logical thing to do would be to have Ireland qualify automatically, and have the four UK teams do a small mini tournament amongst themselves to determine who represents the UK.

Well, we field four. Technically five as Gibraltar is a Crown Protectorate. Sovereign states don’t join FIFA, Football Associations do, countries have nothing to do with it. Ever heard of the Faroe Islands? As for the UK teams having a mini tournament to determine who represents the UK, we did that for years with World Cup qualification being awarded to the winners of the old Home International series. Then other countries complained that the UK had a guaranteed place, so that got kicked into touch. Fact is the UK is four countries.

Posted by
1614 posts

I reckon that's a bit of Scouse "economical with the truth".

Lol possibly, but I believe this fellow believes it.