Please sign in to post.

Esim

I’ll be in Europe for approximately 28 days and need an eSIM. How many gb should I purchase for general internet use, app usage and posting pics on Facebook for my virtual travel companions? Thanks!!

Posted by
496 posts

It's hard to say - look at your home based usage and extrapolate perhaps. Assuming no streaming media, I would have thought 10GB would be plenty. To some degree it depends on how much data each package contains.

Posted by
932 posts

"Posting pics on Facebook" is the wild card here. I'd think you could burn a lot of GB if you do a lot of that.

I don't do any posting of pics (or indeed anything else) on Facebook, and 20 GB per month works out well for me. I use mapping apps, download library books and podcasts, and internet surf.

Posted by
19496 posts

Post your pictures when you have WiFi. Its all over the world. Stop and have a coffee and log-in.

Let us know how the ESim works out. I hear so many questions about using them, and ocassional gripe about using them that I am for now sticking to my TMobile account. Sure $50 a month for high speed, but for a simple minded old fart like me using it is a snap:

1. Turn on Phone
2. hmmm there is no 2

Posted by
269 posts

Keep in mind (and as Mr E points out), you will/should have daily & regular internet access at most hotels (or museums, etc). IOW, the GB you need on your phone will most likely be supplemented - to a very large degree depending on how you do things - by "free" data you get in other non-eSIM situations. If you make your daily posting process something where you post most stuff when you're back at the hotel and reviewing the day's photos, it should save your data plan GBs for regular and low data work like Google Maps, internet browsing, and most apps.

Posted by
7554 posts

I was in Germany for 30 days in 2022, and bought a 10Gb eSIM from Airalo and it worked out fine. FWIW, I posted a lot of photos on my blog, but I always did it when I had wifi. I think you'd be fine with 10Gb for 30 days, but if not, you can always top it off (at least on Airalo and probably the others). It's an easy process. I know Airalo has a 10Gb 30 day eSIM for all of Europe.

Posted by
4574 posts

Everyone is different.

My trips are usually 4-8 weeks. I have tracked my data use for a year or so and on average use 1.5 G/week. I don’t stream anything and try to have my WhatsApp or Messenger video calls on WiFi at my lodging. But otherwise I send photos, check FB, use Google Maps, research, etc. whenever I want to, just like at home. I usually buy an Airalo package for 30 days to start with, then top up. Remember, you can always add more data (top up) to your esim toward the end of your trip if you guessed wrong. If you buy too much, you just lose it at the end of your time.

i share with you RAPIDESIM , RapideSIM has been reliable for the most part. I appreciate the fast internet speed and the easy recharge options. However, I've had some issues with the 'buy now, use later' feature, which can be a bit confusing to navigate.