Please sign in to post.

Environmental and political safety of spring 2024 Danube River cruises

What are the likelihood of serious challenges associated with European River cruises this 2024 spring season? I tentatively plan to cruise Danube from Passaic Germany to Budapest Hungary.

Posted by
4 posts

We took the same cruise last year. The Ukraine war gave us pause but not much more than that. I did read our trip insurance and in my non-lawyer understanding, the insurance covered us if the war had expanded to another country. (that would have clearly been a NATO country to impact that cruise)

The real concern was the very low water levels on the Danube. That was the primary concern of trip disruption. It was sketchy all summer, we went on a late season trip and had no issues. I was watching the water levels all summer. Not that it could make any difference...

We cruised on the Maria Teresa of Uniworld cruises. It wasn't cheap but the rooms are amazing, and the service is impeccable. The best I have been on.

Posted by
4885 posts

There is always a risk of high water levels or flooding in parts of the Danube in spring. It depends on the amount of spring run off in the mountains, and rain. What kind of political safety challenges do you think are an issue in Germany, Austria, and Hungary? AFAIK, they are no different than other western European countries (at present).

It may have been autocorrect, but I believe you meant Passau Germany

Posted by
7683 posts

The Ukraine war would keep me from visiting Ukraine and Russia, but not Central or Eastern Europe.

We have a Danube River cruise booked from Regensburg to Budapest in July 2024 with a tour after to Romania. Looking forward to that trip.