Please sign in to post.

Electronics

I know that we need to bring plug adapters when we travel to Europe - do we also need to bring an electrical converter? For instance, my hair dryer instructions says it operates on 110/220 V, so I would think an adapter would be plenty. I am also bringing a Samsung tablet and would plan to plug my Kindle into the USB as well as the tablet. I don't know about the voltage on that. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by
23548 posts

You will be find. BUT always, always check the input voltage of all of your plugs. It will be on the plug. Needs to say something close to your hair dryer. Roughly 110/220,240,250. Don't bother with the dryer as they are almost always available at your lodging.

Posted by
3255 posts

We do not bring anything that needs a voltage converter. All electronics (iPad, kindle, iPhone, camera, and Sonicare toothbrush) are duel voltage. So is my hair dryer, but on the last trip I carried it for 2weeks and never once needed it. Most places provide better ones, these days.

Posted by
2081 posts

welcomedzuiker1,

If you will look at the adapters for your Kindle and Samsung you will probably find they are dual voltage.

most USBs are limited in voltage too. With respect to USB, in general USB is USB. No difference in what you plug it into. There are standards as to pin out and voltage.

If you look at your plug adapter with USB ports, you will probably find there is an "output" voltage listed for the USB. It should be close to the voltage of the Kindle and Samsung adapters.

I just purchased a Samsung Note 3 5.7 for my travels and i am assuming the information that follows will be the same for your Samsung product. From the information/adapters available for my note, there are 2 different USB outputs available. One adapter has an little higher output thus charging faster. If you care to go to the Samsung web site and look for your product and accessories available, you may find the same.

happy trails.

Posted by
32320 posts

zuiker,

I wouldn't bother bringing the hair dryer as most hotels provide them these days, either in the room or they may be stored at the front desk.

Regarding Plug Adapters, are you only be travelling on the continent or will you be in the U.K. as well?

It's highly probable that both your Samsung tablet and Kindle have "world" power supplies or chargers, so they should be rated to operate with an Input Voltage from 100-240 VAC. It would be a really good idea to verify that however.

I'm not entirely clear on what you'll be using to provide USB. Could you clarify that?

USB output voltage is always a nominal 5 VDC, however the input voltage of the USB charger is the most important issue for travels.

Happy travels!