Electrical outlet

Can someone tell me which electrical outlet standard is used in Italy? Traveling to Lucca in Oct. Thanks

Posted by Frank
Tresana, Highlands Ranch, CO, USA
12673 posts

Are you asking about the shape of the plug? Two round. Or the power ? 240v

Posted by Lee
Lakewood, Colorado
12952 posts

The standard power in the European Union is 230VAC, 50 Hz. The receptacles in Italy can be Type L, with two 4 mm (5/32") pins, 18.5 mm apart. They ground through a center pin. Many receptacles also accept the Type F, German type Schuko plug, with two 4.8 mm (3/16") pins, as well as the common ungrounded Type C, Europlug, with two 4.0-4.8 mm pins on 18.5-19 mm centers. The 2 pin, Europlug adapter is the one commonly found in travel shops and on this website. It is not polarized and, therefore, negates many of the safety features of US appliances. It is not supposed to be used for anything drawing over 2½ amps. www.worldstandards.eu/electricity.htm. www.germantravel-info.com/adaptors.htm

Posted by Tom
Lewiston, NY
10493 posts

Some older buildings use a completely different three-prong outlet configuration. However, if you encounter these, you shouldn't have any trouble finding an adaptor at the nearest grocery store.