Please sign in to post.

eating in paris

hello out there, 2 quick questions 1. my wife, my 2 year old and i will be staying in the Montorgueil area of paris, on rue Poissonniere in mid april, could anyone recommend a restaurant that is family/toddler friendly as we would like to eat out at least once while we are there (only there for 2 full days)
2. i have heard from a friend of my wife that some restaurants prices differ depending where you sit for example patio, or by the windows or in the back of the place, can anyone confirm that ?, thanks

Posted by
3313 posts

To your second question, cafes charge different prices depending on whether you drink or eat at the bar (comptoir), more for sitting inside (salle) and more for sitting outside (terrasse). Restaurants are more formal and seat everyone at tables.

To your first, can't recommend a place but, having taken a kid to Paris twice, I would stick to cafes in the early evening hours when business is slow. Many can be quite kid-friendly.

Posted by
2030 posts

I spent 2 weeks in the Montorgueil area a couple of years ago. There are many restaurants on that street, rue Tiquetonne, and around Les Halles. I don't think you will have trouble finding one that will accommodate you. I saw many families with children in strollers walking around the area. I agree that you should eat an early or late lunch, and an early dinner to avoid the crowds.
good luck and enjoy!

Posted by
506 posts

Early/late etc.

You will want to look for restaurants that indicate service continu. There are many restaurants that open at 11-12 and then close by 14h30 to 15h, then reopen at 19h to 19h30 or later for dinner. Just because they serve coffee and aperitif does not mean that food will be.

The point being is to not wait too late and then be stuck not able to find any service.

Posted by
9 posts

thanks everyone for all the info, you guys are great, we should be able to find something that helps us, i will let everyone know how it goes

Posted by
4132 posts

Mark, cafeterias are really a parent's friend.

Decent, if not 3-star, food (French food), a broad selection, open early, come and go as you please.

Monoprix department stores have them, and there are others. If not in your neighborhood, just a metro ride away.