Please sign in to post.

Help with our travel plan Overnight Trains?

My husband and I booked an Eastern Europe trip for this Fall. But I would like some help with ideas.
We are flying into Berlin arrive 22nd of September. We will have 15 nights travel. Planning on visiting Berlin, Prague, Krakow and Budapest. Flying out of Budapest early on the 7th of October. We are considering the night train from Prague to Krakow and from Krakow to Budapest. We are not sure if that is a good plan.
We love to find little towns to take day trips to. Right now we only have a hotel booked in Berlin.
Any ideas would be great.

Sally

Posted by
16893 posts

Don't worry about missing the scenery if you choose overnight trains. Also check flight prices at www.skyscanner.com. You can branch out from your main cities to some smaller towns that are not necessarily along the main train line, such as Cesky Krumlov from Prague or the Danube bend area from Budapest.

Posted by
487 posts

My parents (in their 60's) took the night train from Budapest to Krakow and did not find it to be a pleasurable experience due to noise and motion keeping them awake. They were quite tired the next day and would have rather gotten a better nights sleep. Just something to consider.

Posted by
17639 posts

Here is my deal with night trains. Its a personal preference. I haven't been on one since the early 1980s and at my age now, probably never will again. Imagine this:

7 am shower
noon check out of hotel and hope the desk will hold your bags until train time (most will)
9 pm arrive train station
11 pm finally get to sleep. Geee, what is that on the sheet? Never mind, go to sleep.
8 am arrive where ever you are going. Dang i'm hungry.

Eat and drop bags with the front desk or vise versa.

8 am to 2pm wander around stinking
2 pm check into new hotel and shower
30+ hours between showers in an environment with little or no air conditioning exceeds my personal limits. Even in September / October.

But some swear by it. So its all personal taste.

I go to Budapest often and Slovakia on occasion and while I have been with 100km or so of Krakow I haven't been all the way yet. There are aspects of Krakow that hit too close to home and I have chosen to avoid for now. Maybe someday. BUT, as for the sightseeing you are missing, the landscape from Krakow to Budapest and the towns and villages between Krakow and Budapest are very much worth seeing. I love Slovakia.

There are a couple of bus companies running the route from Prague to Krakow and from Krakow to Budapest and several private transfer companies. The private transfer would be someplace in the neighborhood of $500 and take about 6 hours for each leg; while I think your train tickets are going to cost a little over $300 for the two of you. If you can afford the additional cost hire a guide service and do some sight seeing in Slovakia on the way. Beautiful country.

The "you cant get here from there" problem with Krakow is another reason I haven't been there. When people ask about the region I generally suggest an easier trip. Something like:

Prague
Cesky Krumlov
Vienna (or Sopron if you have already seen Vienna)
Gyor
Budapest

All cheap and easy transfers by train and shuttle.

If you go to Krakow and have the resources and time I suggest a night south of Krakow at the Kempinski High Tatras Hotel then a private guide to take you to a castle or two, then one or two of the Banska towns then on to Budapest.

So many options, so little time, so little $$$$$$$$$$$$$ Always my problem.

But you did pick he absolute best time of year for the region. Have a blast and let me know if I can assist wiith Budapest (my hobby)

Posted by
2 posts

James, Thank you for the great information. My husband and I are in our 50's and did understand what
you were saying about lack of sleep and shower. I will do some more research about bus or private transportation.
Sally

Posted by
14481 posts

Hi,

You could consider doing one night train ride on this 15 day trip. It is a matter of preference and what one is willing to put with. Given your itinerary I would do the night train from Berlin to Budapest via Munich. Of course, you could choose the more direct Berlin to Budapest night train route, shortening the time spent. My choice is this if you were to consider it: Berlin to Munich on the CNL night train, ca 10hrs, transfer after breakfast in Munich on the RJ train to Budapest, this leg takes 6 plus hrs.

There are lots of people taking night trains, esp on the week-end and they do sell out. My experience has been that I hardly ever saw Americans taking nights by sitting in compartments,...only locals, mostly Germans, other Europeans, a few Asians, Since I don't do the sleeper or couchette options, those Americans on the night train may be there. The night train experience is something one gets used to or copes with or not. Those 2 night train routes you list don't offer the "sleeperette" option, whereas Berlin-Munich does, which is my main reason to do the route aside from squeezing in another day.

Posted by
2393 posts

Fred's suggestion of the Berlin to Munich night train is a good one - that route has the deluxe sleeper compartments with ensuite shower & toilet. When we take a night train I make sure the route has this type of compartment. We have never had any problems with the linens nor anything else.

Some folks definitely do better than others on a night train, we sleep fine.

Posted by
3200 posts

I'm 60 and my husband is 73. We LOVE overnight trains. Perhaps you should try one overnight on a US train for a test. It is all a matter of preference. I love having breakfast in bed on the train with wonderful scenery passing by. And you'd be surprised how clean and sweet smelling you can stay between showers with just a little washing up.

Posted by
14481 posts

@ Christi...That "delux sleeper compartment" is top notch, if one wants that level of luxury, very nice. I've gotten picky on choosing which night trains to take, (yes, that comes with age), ie, only the CNL with the "sleeperete/Ruhesessel" option. Twice so far, both times were very satisfactory experiences.

I took night trains only a couple times the first over in 1971, the six seat compartment type. Now, at 64 I don't prefer that if given a choice. Therefore, only CNL routes with the sleeperette I'll consider taking.

Posted by
2081 posts

Sally,

I'm taking my first sleeper train from Budapest to Krakow at the end of my trip this September. I want to try a sleeper train since i believe i may end up doing more of them and wanted to see how it works and how much sleep (or not) i get. Since its at the end of my trip, its not a big deal if i loose sleep either.

To me, if you're interested in doing an overnight train, the i say go for it. Its not like you have to do them forever.

I plot out the cities and places i want to see on a map and plan my path from there. from there i use the train sites and seat61 to determine if i will take a train or fly. On the Budapest to Krakow leg i was going to fly and did buy my tickets, but i decided to train it instead once found out there was an overnight train. I'm eating that ~ 400 USD plane ticket too, but its a learning experience for me.

as far as luggage goes, i have already contacted the place i will stay and they willing accepted holding onto my luggage while i explore.

good luck and happy trails.

Posted by
2081 posts

@ george,

"Why wouldn't you just wait for your next trip to experience an overnight train - man, to burn 400 bills plus the cost of the train ticket, just doesn't make sense."

because "the next trip" may not happen. the company i work for and that gives me 4+ weeks a year vacation from the get go has merged or been bought out by our rivals - depending on which CEO you speak to. They aren't saying a lot about our futures as most CEOs will do, but our CEO will come out of the merger 13 Million dollars richer. So right now I'm planning NOT to be able to travel after this plant closes - if it does but I'm not counting on it being open. My gut is saying they will rape and pillage our technology/patients and talent and dump the rest. My first job, it took me 10 years to get 4 weeks vacation and then they closed the doors. I didnt get to use those 4 weeks either, but i was compensated for them in terms of vacation payout. Most of the companies out there only offer 2 weeks vacation at the most and then IF you're lucky, they will add a few days or weeks after working 5, 10 or 15 years more. My last job i wasn't there long enough to get ANY vacation.

i know it makes no since, but its done. As i stated its a lesson i learned the expensive way. just so you know, i had another lesson a few years ago when i booked short trip to the UK via AMS. I booked the flights separately and my flight into AMS was 2 hours late. The puddle jumper from AMS to LGW was originally 80 USD. Since i was going to be late, i had to rebook the flight from AMS to LGW. it cost me 400+ USD to do that. To top it off i had padded the transfer time with a layover of 2+ hours trying to plan for the worse but that didnt help either. Also my flight out of AMS was 1 hour late too.

sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you.

happy trails.

Posted by
17639 posts

@ray, it's your vacation, which means it's your experience on your budget done your way. I really don't get the basis of criticisms Here you have all sorts. Some want to get as many places as possible on as little money as possible; others will spend a fortune in just on town and head home. Then there are a thousand options in-between. Its all good, its all correct and its all a great experience it you do it your way. I rode a sleeper (once!) and I am glad I did. I have some great stories to tell as a result and I am no worse for the wear. I recently returned from Istanbul. Everyone that goes to Istanbul loves Istanbul. It's almost heresy not to love Istanbul. I deplored Istanbul. Am I glad I went? Thrilled!!! Would not have missed that wonderful experience for the world. Will I go back again? On the night you catch me on a sleeper train I will be heading for Istanbul.

The experience aside; how much did that Budapest to Krakow train cost you?