Please sign in to post.

Eastern Europe Itinerary

Hi everyone, please provide some advice on the below itinerary:

Day 1-3: Berlin
Day 4-5: Dresden
Day 6-8: Prague
Day 9-11: Krakow
Day 12-13: Vienna (Day trip to Bratislava)
Day 14-16: Budapest

Other options we are considering:
- Cesky krumlov
- Wroclaw
- Zakopane
- Nuremberg
- Hallstatt

Some background info:
- Travelling with my GF.
- We’re both young (23), so travel fatigue due to overly heavy schedule is less of an issue.
- Our trip does not need to be only 16 days and we can extend by a few days.
- We’re interested in everything from history, culture, nightlife and nature, and want to have quite a broad trip to experience everything. Although since we are on a tight budget we have decided to skip some of the nature destinations, since they seem to be more expensive considering travel and entry fees etc. (ex. Lake Bled).

Please advise on whether we are spending enough days in each destination, or whether we could cut some days.
Below the itinerary is also a list of some other destinations we are considering, please advise if you think they would be worthwhile adding (also feel free to recommend other destinations in the area not on the list).

Thanks🙏

Posted by
7671 posts

I have been to all the destinations that you listed.

1) Regarding days allotted to each, I would say that three days in Berlin are not enough; Dresden, you could cut a day there and add to Berlin. As for Prague and Krakow three days each are fine. Vienna, two days regardless of day trip is way not enough, you need 3-4 days just in Vienna. Budapest three days is OK.

2) Adding others, you have stretched you days already, so skip the others, except perhaps stopping for a few hours in Pesky Krumlov.

Posted by
17927 posts

Day 1-3: Berlin

day one mid afternoon arrival jet lagged.
day two great
day three great. You had two full open eyed days in Berlin
Day 4-5: Dresden
day one, how long a trian journey? Maybe a half day in Dresden
. day two, a full day to see Dresden
Day 6-8: Prague
day one maybe a half day after the train ride
day two great
day three great (and that would be enough for me ... but tight)
Day 9-11: Krakow
day one, again you get maybe a third of a day after the 8 hour train ride or maybe you found a flight?
day two, great
day three, great but I would want another day. Just me.
Day 12-13: Vienna (Day trip to Bratislava)
day one, hoping you are flying and found a morning flight to give you a half day in Vienna
day two, you saw Bratislava ............ never saw Vienna except maybe a half day. Actually, I am not a big Vienna fan.
Day 14-16: Budapest
day one, morning train? or spend the day in Vienna to see something? Lets say the later. So, an evening in Budapest
day two. great, you can see about 1/3 of the sights in Pest
day three, great, maybe the Budacastle district and a tad more of Pest.

Everyone has a travel style. So its neither a good or a bad plan

Posted by
3163 posts

I agree with previous poster regarding # of days at each stop. Only thing I would change is going to Budapest and saving Vienna for your last stop.

Posted by
3844 posts

Even though you are younger, it still seems like too much traveling for little return.
For example, krakow to Vienna is 5.15 by train. Add in checking out of your hotel, getting to the train, checking into the new hotel. Then you say you would do a day trip to Bratislava, when would you actually see Vienna?
You also mention you have a budget, moving from place to place still costs money, and more importantly time.
Prague, Vienna, and Budapest have always been a trio of cities people travel to due to the easy transfers. You could divide your time between these 3 major cities and add in some day trips.
We did a similar trip for 2 weeks a few years ago. Our itinerary was
Prague, ckshuttle driver with stop in Kutna Hora to Cesky Krumlov; ckshuttle driver to Vienna, catamaran down the Danube to Bratislava; bus to Budapest.

Posted by
99 posts

The one outlier is Krakow. Since the train to Krakow from Prague is about 5 hours and it's 7 hours to Vienna from Prague your time will be shorter in each city. I would add a day to Krakow. The big reason is your age and the fun your going to have in that city being 23. You're planning on going to Bratislava so your going to need that extra day in Vienna. We love Dresden. Love sitting in the square and eating ice cream. If it is your first trip take the Hop on Hop off bus tour and a river cruise. Your only there 2 days so you need to see the city quickly. Wait for another trip to see the other cities. Seen them all and their nice but you should concentrate on what you already have listed. I like your itinerary. We are going in August and Sept. to Budapest, Vienna, Prague and Dresden. Been there many times and it never disappoints. Whether a city is lovely or not is on you and your GF. Have fun that's what travel is all about.

Posted by
2956 posts

Berlin (minimum three nights, maximum five nights) - Berlin is a young fun city. I recommend five nights so you can explore the neighborhoods. There is no other city like Berlin. It gets even better when you get off the beaten path.
Dresden (stop in Dresden on your way from Berlin’s Hauptbanhof (Hbf) train station to Dresden’s Hbf station [2h]) - Get an early start and store your luggage in a locker then hop on tram 3 to get to the old town. A direct train from Dresden to Prague’s hlavní nádraží (hl.n.) station takes 2h 15m.
Prague (two nights if you take the direct overnight train from Prague hl.n. station to the Krakow Glowny station). If not, spend three nights in Prague.) – Rent two beds in a couchette that will be cheaper than reserving a sleeper for two.
Krakow (one night if you don’t visit Auschwitz-Birkenau Death Camp and take the direct overnight train from Krakow Glowny to Bratislava’s hlavná stanica (hl.st.) main train station. This will give you two full days in Krakow which is the minimum you need if you don’t take any day trips.)
Bratislava (store your bags in a locker then walk to Bratislava’s old town [30m}). - From Bratislava take a direct train to Vienna’s (Wien’s) Hauptbahnof (Hbf) station (1h 15m).
Vienna (sleep in Vienna four nights). - From Vienna’s Hbf station take a direct train to Budapest’s Keleti station (2h 45m).
Budapest (sleep in Budapest four nights).
This itinerary is for 16 nights in Europe. Cesky Krumlov, Wroclaw, Zakopane, Nuremberg and Hallstatt are not convenient stops from and to the places listed above. If you still want to visit your other options you are considering, remove a country or two and assume you’ll return to Europe. For instance, visit Germany, Austria and Hungary on this trip and visit the Czech Republic and Poland another time.

Posted by
17927 posts

Some if the suggestions above are good . If you revise, post again. If not, still post and some of can help you make the most out-of the time at each stop.

Posted by
4085 posts

I am going to make the assumption that you are getting up in the morning to make each move to your new destination. Some of your trips take longer than others. Research it and decide what is worth it to you. That being said, this is a really fast overview trip - but doable. However if you DO have time and budget, adding a few more days will make it better.

Days 1-4: Berlin
Days 5-6: Dresden (pretty much a minimum)
Days 6-9: Prague, if you are going to include a day trip to Cesky krumlov..
Days 10-13: Krakow if you are adding a day trip to Zakopane
Days 14-16: Vienna
Days 17-20: Budapest
Day 21: fly home

And even 21 days is fast covering the distance you have. You aren’t going to be close enough for Wroclaw, Nuremberg, or Hallstatt unless you add even more time. By the time you spend the money to get there and get from city to city, a few extra nights of lodging and a few extra meals will not add significantly to your cost and will allow you to see and experience more.

You could rearrange some of these based on your return flight and the method of transportation you choose from Prague on. Take a look at discount airlines and at overnight trains (where the train trips will be long).

Posted by
2956 posts

Days 6-9: Prague, if you are going to include a day trip to Cesky Krumlov.

Cesky Krumlov is not a day trip from Prague if relying on public transportation because direct trains take 2h 45. If you hired a driver or rented a car it would take 2h 15m so I do not recommend Cesky Krumlov as a day trip. Furthermore, I don’t see direct trains on the return: https://www.cd.cz/en/default.htm.

Days 10-13: Krakow if you are adding a day trip to Zakopane.

The same with this train it takes 2h 45m by train: https://booking.polrail.com/index.php?main_page=page_5.

Posted by
204 posts

The same with this train it takes 2h 45m by train: https://booking.polrail.com/index.php?main_page=

Zakopane is best done by bus, not train. Bus takes 1.5h, frequent departures from Krakow

Btw, Polrail is a ticket agency, not Polish railways. If you want to go by train, book directly with train operator (PKP Intercity and Polregio)

Posted by
17927 posts

Thousands go to Cesky Krumlov on day trips every day. That's sort of the problem too many tourists. Use one of thr shuttle services. Fast snd cheap CZ or Bean.

Personally, I would skip Vienna on this trip. Check out this order: Berlin to Krakow to Prague to Budapest. Or Krakow to Berlin to Prague to Budapest (fly to Budapest)

Posted by
4085 posts

qq is right about Zakopane. In addition, there are plenty of $50-60 long day trips there from Krakow. Is staying there better? Yes. Same with Cesky Krumlov. But both are doable in a day. You just have to add one for it and not short Prague or Krakow too badly.

But to the OP’s last question: you can’t cut days without cutting a stop. And every time we plan a trip - whether we stay 2 weeks or 2 months, we have to make choices about what to include and what to cut.

Posted by
3046 posts

Do you drink alcohol? There are a number of drink options.

How much do you wish to spend each day? Are you open to hostels? You say your budget is tight. Hostels, if you stay in the bunk room (no privacy), costs would be pretty low. Wife and I (60 & 65) stayed 1 or 2 times in the bunk room. Hostels also have private rooms. These are sometimes cheaper than hotels.

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks a lot for all the advice and replies, really helpful!

Based on some of the replies I’m thinking we’ll revise itinerary as follows:
Day 1-4: Berlin
Day 5-6 Dresden
Day 7-8: Prague
Day 9: Spend day in Prague then overnight train to Krakow
Day 10-12 Krakow (Day trip to Zakopane, or spend that day in Krakow if we are really enjoying it there).
Day 13: Spend day in Krakow then overnight train to Vienna
Day 14-15: Vienna (Day trip to Bratislava, probably on the day we first arrive in Vienna, just check in and then hop back on train and go to Bratislava)
Day 16-18: Budapest

So based on the recommendations I’ve added 2 days to the trip and used them in Krakow and Berlin.

I see some replies saying skip Vienna and some saying spend 4 days there, from what I’ve read Vienna is quite expensive, which is part of why we wouldn’t want to spend too much time there.
Since we’re young we’re also leaning more toward the vibrant cities (like Berlin), and while we would still appreciate some Opera or Classical music in Vienna, but this wouldn’t be our main attraction on the trip.
Still Vienna is on our way to Budapest, so my thinking is that we can treat it as somewhat of a day to rest and rejuvenate on this trip, we’ll walk around the city, see St Stephen’s, Belvedere, Schonbrunn (possibly do this on a walking tour) and maybe some Opera or Classical music at night. It seems the main attractions of Vienna are quite close to each other, so looks possible to see some of the nicest one’s in one day, we just won’t do many of the tours where they give you a full tour of the inside of the buildings etc.
This saves us both time and money.

Here’s some extra information that might clarify some or your previous answers:
- We are from South Africa, so jetlag will not really affect us (only 1 hour difference), as such our first day in Berlin should be a full and productive one.
- We are on budget, and will mostly be staying in hostels in bunk bed rooms.
- We do drink alcohol and are planning on going to clubs/bars at least a few times
- Total budget is about 1200€, meaning 67€ on average per day if doing 18 days. We could increase a little, but would prefer to stay in this budget if realistic.

Posted by
7 posts

I also see it’s the the Carnaval de Culturen in Berlin when we are there, has anyone been? What is it like?

Posted by
204 posts

Day 14-15: Vienna (Day trip to Bratislava, probably on the day we first arrive in Vienna, just check in and then hop back on train and go to Bratislava)

There is an overnight train from Kraków to Bratislava

Posted by
2956 posts

Day 14-15: Vienna (Day trip to Bratislava, probably on the day we first arrive in Vienna, just check in and then hop back on train and go to Bratislava).

I agree with the overnight train from Krakow to Vienna instead of Bratislava. I was thinking Bratislava was on the same route as Vienna and the train stopped in Bratislava before Vienna. The overnight train from Krakow to Vienna is quicker than the overnight train from Krakow to Bratislava.
Furthermore, a direct train takes 2h 45m from Vienna to Budapest and 2h 30m from Bratislava to Budapest. You could take a train from Vienna to Bratislava and store your luggage at the train station, walk to the old town and when you're ready to go to Budapest pick up your luggage and hop on the train again.

Posted by
204 posts

Quicker by 1hr and arrives in Vienna before 5am. Is quicker really better for an overnight train? The longer the journey, the longer you can sleep, and arrive at a more civilised hour. It just doesn't make sense to go to Vienna and then Bratislava if you could go straight to Bratislava.

Posted by
2339 posts

Total budget is about 1200€, meaning 67€ on average per day if doing 18 days

2 people ... I don't see this as a realistic budget.

Posted by
7 posts

. 2 people ... I don't see this as a realistic budget.

Sorry for miscommunication, this budget is per person. So for both it’s double that.

Posted by
17927 posts

Doable if you are really careful and if it does not include hotels. Me on that budget would be Berlin 4 nights, then Prague 4 nights, then the rest in Budapest where a beer costs $2.

Posted by
140 posts

Although I'm much older than you, I traveled part of your itinerary last summer, staying in hostels. See my report at https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/trip-reports/what-happened-to-a-75-year-old-woman-on-a-long-hostelling-trip

I think at your age you will find Berlin to be wonderful, just wonderful, no matter how serious or party types you are. Don't underestimate the pull of that city. Contrary to my expectations, my hostel-mates in Vienna did not find it to be staid and dull, and in fact loved the city. Jo&Joe Vienna is a wonderful hostel, built into the IKEA store. Looks out of the way but it's steps from a major transportation hub and couldn't be easier to navigate.

Posted by
99 posts

Your budget is totally unrealistic. Hotel, Food, Transportation, Entry fees, Misc. I don't care what anyone says it won't happen. Take the hotels out and it will be tight but maybe doable.

Posted by
2339 posts

this budget is per person. So for both it’s double that.

Remains unrealistic.

Day trip to Bratislava from Vienna, return is posted @ 20€ each - that leaves 47€ each for food, lodging, and train travel from Krakow, for that day.

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks all, after some thought and calculations I see what you mean on budget.

Does the below seem reasonable?

This is kind of our upper limit, more than this we’d have to start cutting days. Note however that these are averages, so for example where a dorm in Berlin will be a bit higher than 25€, the dorms in Poland will likely make up for this as they are cheaper than 25€.

Total budget = 1705€; 95€/day.

Fixed: 715€
Accommodation: 25€/day = 450€ (Dorms in Hostels)
Eurail 5 Day Pass = 265€

Variable: 990€
Food: 25€/day = 450€ (mostly Cooking at hostel and eating from supermarket, maybe some cheap street food in some of the affordable places)
Activities: 30€/day = 540€ (Free walking tours and main attractions, including transport to sights)

Posted by
2339 posts

Total budget = 1705€; 95€/day.

Is that for each of you or the total for the both of you?

Posted by
7 posts

Is that for each of you or the total for the both of you?

1705€ total Per person.
3410€ for both.

Posted by
3046 posts

OK, for the drinking:

In Vienna, make sure to go to the heirigers - these are wine taverns in one particular section - we went to several, and they were very pleasant esp in the spring - outside, with the Gruner Veltliner Austrian wine

In Budapest, the famous "ruin pubs" are great fun, and since you are young, you will fit right in - crazy decor (chairs on the ceiling etc) and not expensive.

Posted by
27122 posts

About those "free" tours: Unless they are guided by volunteer locals (a very rare thing; assume they are not), you are dealing with a guide who has to pay the organizing company a head tax for everyone who takes the tour. Rick wrote about this before the pandemic. I think he said the typical head tax was 3.50 to 4 euros. I assume it would be higher now. You must tip the guide enough to cover that head tax and compensate him or her for giving the tour. It would be grossly unfair to do otherwise.

Posted by
4085 posts

Honestly, your budget may be a little tight. But I eat more than that…. 🤣

However specifically in Budapest, for about USD $22/each you can get 2 24 hr travelcards and one express airport bus ticket from town to the airport. The pass provides transportation AND sightseeing - there are a lot of interesting free places to see AND the trams are really fun.