Please sign in to post.

Eastern Europe Itinerary

Hello everyone!

We will be traveling to Eastern Europe (plus Austria) for 15 nights late August/early September. We fly into Warsaw and out of Prague. This is what we are thinking right now for our trip itinerary. Is it do-able? Are we spending too much time in one place? Is Bratislava worth going to or are there other places we should travel instead? Also, what types of transportation would you recommend between each city and how should we book it? And, if you feel so inclined, what sites would you recommend in each place?

Day 1: Arrive Warsaw (9am)
Day 2: Warsaw
Day 3: Early train to Krakow
Day 4: Krakow/overnight train to Budapest
Day 5: Budapest
Day 6: Budapest
Day 7: Budapest
Day 8: Depart early for Bratislava
Day 9: Depart early for Vienna
Day 10: Vienna
Day 11: Vienna
Day 12: Depart early for Prague
Day 13: Prague
Day 14: Prague
Day 15: Prague
Day 16: Depart Prague (9 AM

Thank you so much in advanced!

Posted by
2631 posts

I think your pacing for the end part of your trip is ok. But I think you might want to take a second look at the first part as it's really rushed. Ideally, you need to cut a city out here and the one I would suggest would be Warsaw, not because it's not worth visiting, but because your other city choices are better for a first trip to central Europe. Have you already booked the flights?

You're really shortchanging yourself on Krakow....there's a lot to see there. You'll see more if have have 4 nights in Krakow, 4 Budapest, 3 Vienna, 4 Prague.

Also - you should consider getting rid of the night in Bratislava - it's just that much more rushing around.

Posted by
89 posts

Because of a short distance between these two capitals, Bratislava can be done as a day trip from Vienna.
You should consider at least one day extra in Kraków. That would allow you to make trips to historic sites of German concentration camps Auschwitz and Auschwitz-Birekanu in Oświęcim and famous salt mine in Wieliczka, all very easily reachable from Kraków.
I strongly disagree with a suggestion to cut out Warsaw. It is worth seeing and even with a little time you planned to spend there, you could do and see quite a few interesting things there.

Posted by
1222 posts

It has been a while since I've been to Poland, but I wasn't a fan of Warsaw and would cut that for more time in Krakow. I felt Krakow was much more interesting and had a lot more to offer.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far! Based on what I have read from everyone, I think we may take out Bratislava and add an extra night in Krakow. I would still love more suggestions from everyone. :)

Posted by
18223 posts

I have to admit that I ............... wait, I need to fix a drink..................................................... okay, back now. Where was I? Oh, yes, I have to admit that I.................. dang, still cant do it........ One more shot of tequila. Be right back................................... I am going to say it .eyiohhche.... Dang! tears I think shorted out the keyboard. Suck it up JAMES E!!! Spit it out!!!

I SORT OF AGREE WITH Kaeleku !!! There! I said it! I am so ashamed!!!

"Sort of". Yes, its crowded with tourists. Too much for my taste. Yes, there are areas of the city where you can avoid the tourists, but the tourists are where the tourists are because that's what you go to see in Prague on at least the first trip. But I am reluctant to call it a "Tourist Trap", what is there is beautiful and authentic and unique in the world. But my perception is that it doesn't have the lasting impact or broad appeal that many similar places in the region do. I didn't even notice you had 3 full days in Prague. For a lot of folks, 2 full days would serve well. But it is a "must see".

So what would I do with the extra day? Depends on ones interest. I like Cesky Krumlov for a night. Spending a night is a must because CK can be very crowded too, but a significant percentage of them are day trippers so the late afternoon, evening and morning are more enjoyable Spending a night allows you that advantage. I like the Hotel Dvoark with a room that faces the castle. Its pretty stunning at night. Two rooms actually have a balcony facing the castle. Prague to CK to Vienna can be done cheaply with Bean Shuttle.

OR, To avoid tourists and see something unique spend a night in Gyor, Hungary and in addition to the old city center the nearby Archabbey at Pannonhalma is fascinating. Gyor is on the train line from Vienna to Budapest and almost exactly mid way. The hotel Klastrom is a converted monastery and is an interesting place to stay.

OR, you could easily spend 4 days in Budapest including a day trip to Eger or Szentendre.

What about Vienna? Vienna never spoke to me the way it has to others. 2 days would be more than enough for my taste.

Warsaw? I don't know anything about Warsaw. Its on my list but I haven't gotten there yet. Might be a good idea.

Posted by
14580 posts

I vote for dropping Bratislava and adding that time to Krakow, a very interesting city historically, good walking town too.

Posted by
7175 posts

I would also drop Bratislava, and perhaps take some time off the back end and add it to the front end.

Day 1: Arrive (9am) Warsaw - 2 nts
Day 2: Warsaw
Day 3: Late train to Krakow - 3 nts
Day 4: Krakow
Day 5: Krakow
Day 6: Night train Krakow to Budapest - 1 nt
Day 7: Budapest - 3 nts
Day 8: Budapest
Day 9: Budapest
Day 10: Late train to Vienna - 3 nts
Day 11: Vienna
Day 12: Vienna
Day 13: Late train to Prague - 3 nts
Day 14: Prague
Day 15: Prague
Day 16: Depart (9am) Prague

Posted by
15616 posts

I like David's itinerary and time allocations. The only thing I'd suggest is taking evening trains (adjusting the nights in each city accordingly) from Budapest to Vienna and Vienna to Prague to maximize the daytime sightseeing. Both journeys are fairly long. It's nice to get on the train when you've had a pretty full day; it's an opportunity to rest and relax. You can buy food and drinks beforehand and have a picnic dinner on the train. If you go right after breakfast, the morning's shot and by the time you've checked into your new hotel, you're probably ready for lunch, not a museum.

Posted by
7175 posts

I would endorse Chani's comments re train times. Look at these services...

RJ 42
Dep 17:40 BUDAPEST-KELETI (Hungary)
Arr 20:18 WIEN HBF (Austria)

RJ 78
Dep 15:09 WIEN HBF (Austria)
Arr 19:08 PRAGUE HLAVNI NADRAZI (Czech Republic)

Posted by
18223 posts

And give up an evening in Budapest? Naaaa, I would never trade the opportunity of one more evening in Budapest. Also, for trains between Budapest and Vienna the RJ's aren't generally the fastest.

In general I enjoy and appreciate evenings more than mornings. But that's a personal bias.