Please sign in to post.

Eastern Europe

Planning a trip for next year (maybe April/May) to visit Prague. Our budget will allow approximately 12 days, so we’d like some help regarding what areas of the region we could visit to allow maximum coverage, yet without feeling rushed. I summarized below the areas I’m considering, and would like advice on recommended days to stay or commute to/from. Or, I’d certainly welcome recommended changes you think would improve our experience. I realize what I listed may be to much, unless some can be combined based on close proximity, such as Munich and Dachau? We are both 60 and in generally good health with no mobility issues, and are willing to travel by car or train. With my wife’s Jewish ancestry we are hoping to visit Auschwitz and Dachau, and my interest in WWII history will hopefully take me to a few points of interest, but we’re really interested in experiencing towns that some might describe as more authentic to the region rather than commercialized tourist attractions, if that makes sense. Thank you!

Prague
Aushwitz
Munich
Dachau
Neuremberg
Salzburg/Zel am See
Rothenberg
Ramsau bei

Posted by
672 posts

With my Jewish ancestry, I had to skip Auschwitz when on our Rick Steves tour. because I knew it would be too much to handle. As an alternative, we went to the Schindler Factory in Krakow. Still was tough to get through.

Do you need to do both Auschwitz and Dachau?

Posted by
7661 posts

Too many places for 12 days. You need 2-3 days for Prague and Munich each. Salzburg you need two day, more if you visit nearby Berchtesgaden.

Rothenberg and Nuremberg you can do in a day each.

On visiting Auschwitz, I will admit that my wife and I had nightmares after visit it, however I think it is important to recognize what happened there. NEVER AGAIN

Dachau is not so much compared to Auschwitz. After visiting Auschwitz, you might just skip Dachau.

Posted by
150 posts

Agree visiting one concentration camp per trip. One camp gives a real picture of the horror inflicted on innocent people. We visited Auschwitz, it was enough.

Posted by
19 posts

Thank you all so much for the responses, they are very helpful particularly since I have no perspective on the region, distances, best travel options, etc. I figured some of these would be too much for 12 days, but wanted to double-check. And to Naalehuretiree, no, we're definitely don't counting on visiting two camps so your comments coupled with the others about that really helps. Thanks again.

Posted by
3046 posts

It is difficult from the USA to envision Europe. It's VERY important for a first time person to get a map. Put down these places on the map.

Next, go to Rome2Rio and put in some destinations. This gives you travel times, frequency of bus/train.

You basically have 3 locations on your list:
1) Munich (Dachau)
2) Prague
3) Nuremberg

That's really not all that crazy for 12 days. 4 nights in each, side trips, hit Rothenberg on the way from Munich to Nuremberg.

I was taken as a boy of 8 to Dachau. It did not produce a lifetime of trauma. Adults can process these loca of bad things. I believe that all persons who visit Europe should go to a camp. Jew, non-Jew, whatever. Never forget.

Auschwitz is in Poland - hundreds of miles from the others. Salzberg is closer, but you need to do either Salzberg or Prague.

Finally, none of this is "Eastern Europe". This is MittelEuropa, or the old Austria-Hungarian Empire.