Please sign in to post.

Driving in Europe

I have read that an international drivers' license is a good idea. Why? What is involved, and what makes it a good idea?

Any ideas on finding realistic driving times? One of our destinations is Britain, and a friend in Wales tells me driving there can take much longer than you'd think. Good websites, etc, for estimating?

Posted by
9363 posts

Sorry, I have to disagree with Ken about MapQuest. It seems to me to be the least accurate of the options, though all need a bit of tweaking. I usually use Google Maps or viamichelin.com. In the UK and Ireland, though, I generally add about 25% to the drive times to allow for narrow roads and unfamiliarity with driving on the other side of the road. Keep in mind, too, that drive times do not include stops for gas, lunch, photos, etc.

Posted by
32212 posts

Melody,

An International Driver's PERMIT is not only a good idea, it's compulsory in some countries (Italy, Greece). This is not a "license" but rather a Permit that provides a translation of the terms of your home D.L. in various languages. It must be used in conjunction with your home D.L. and NOT by itself. In Italy, failure to produce an IDP if requested can result in fines ON THE SPOT! Failure to pay the fines will result in the vehicle being impounded (and that includes rentals).

While I don't personally know anyone who's suffered that fate, it's very possible (especially now that cash-strapped governments are looking for any source of revenue they can find!). For example, the government here has just announced a "windfall" from increased driving penalties (I believe over 20K tickets issued and about $30M. collected).

IDP's are VERY easy to obtain, and it's really a good idea to have one "just in case". These can be obtained at any AAA office for a small fee. Two Passport-style photos are required, and some AAA offices have provision to take the photos on the premises. The IDP is valid for one year.

For estimated driving times, have a look at Map Quest. Whether the times are "realistic" or "ballpark" is a matter of opinion. I most definietly agree with your friend in Wales regarding the times. I've found that espeially for driving in the U.K., it always seems to take longer than estimated. There are only limited Motorways (Freeways), so some of the roads are narrow, winding two lane "country roads". Keep in mind that you'll also be driving on the "correct side" of the road, so will probably be operating a bit more cautiously than you're used to.

Cheers!

Posted by
32801 posts

If you use use a satnav in the UK take on board that it will think that rural A roads all have 60 or 70 mph speeds, but also that B roads also have 60 mph speeds. I can assure you that this is incorrect. Or actually they do but that that speed is impossible to sustain.

Posted by
32212 posts

NANCY,

Thanks for the clarification on different mapping websites. I only know of Map Quest, and find that it's OK for a "ballpark figure", but I'll make a note of the other ones.

Just for information, I rely more on my GPS than on mapping software. I don't usually worry about the driving times, as I plan on taking whatever time is necessary.

Cheers!

Posted by
1021 posts

Route planning and drive times:

UK: www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp

Continent: www.viamichelin.com

Both sites can be too optimistic about drive times, particularly viamichelin, but it includes estimated tolls. Both sites give locations of fixed speed cameras.

You'll have to check the requirements of the countries in which you're driving for the IDL. Rental car agencies should be able to provide that.

Posted by
3428 posts

Melody- just to give you a different perspective...

We DON'T drive in the UK. We love to use the trains and occassionally the bus. Gas (petrol) can be extrememly expensive (as much as 3x US prices), parking is scarce and often expensive, and they drive on the "other" side and the majority of the cars are straight drive! Also, most of what we wish to see can be easily reached by train. Both hubby and I can focus on the scenery, we know the time tables before we go- no worries about it taking longer than expected- and no getting lost.

We usually use BritRail passes becaue we like the flexibility, but they are not the bargin they used to be. I know some people like to be able to stop whenever they want, but that is not important to us.

Posted by
3696 posts

Have driven all through Europe as well as Britain, Wales, Scotland with no problems of it taking any longer than driving in the US. Last trip used my Garmin in Wales and Britain, which was great. Things might take longer because you are on vacation and stopping for photo ops, etc. Never have had an international drivers license, but sounds like it might be a good idea. I have never been asked for one by rental car companies, but maybe it is only the police who care.

Posted by
5678 posts

I can think of at least two reasons why it seems to take longer to drive somewhere in Europe. First, you're usually not driving on interstate type road. This is usually by choice as you're usually there to see things and you see more on smaller roads. Secondly, because you are seeing the sights, you end up stopping, taking pictures or taking a break that you tend not to do as much of when you are driving on familiar roads. I can't speak for Wales, but in Scotland, the roads are small and winding and you're driving on left, all of which can slow you down. I agree with viamichelin as a reliable routing website. I agree with adding 25% to the time. Better to add the time and arrive a little early than miss a ferry.

Pam

Posted by
2193 posts

Try Mappy...a hotel manager in Paris shared this site with me several years ago, and I've used it every time I've driven in Europe since: http://en.mappy.com/

Posted by
12172 posts

International drivers permits are primarily a translation of your drivers license into local languages. You can find a list of countries that require them online. They are easy to get and reasonably cheap at any AAA office.

For maps and estimated driving times, I normally use viamichelin.com. The website may underestimate actual driving times. I don't worry about it much because I don't try to max out my driving days.

When I pack, I try never to pack my bag full. It's the same for driving - planning for six hours of driving in a day will leave you exhausted because it inevitably will turn into a longer day with stops for gas, meals, traffic and possibly losing your way - not to mention stops for photos or site visits.

Plan shorter driving legs with a relaxing stop at a site along your route.

Posted by
4535 posts

As several have noted, the international drivers permits are mandatory in some countries. If so, you must have one or risk not getting a rental car (for sure in Greece, less so in Italy) and fines if you are stopped or in an accident. In other countries, its a REALLY good idea to avoid any confusion when renting a car or if interacting with police. It can be much more difficult for foreign police and rental agencies to confirm your state license is valid. Like insurance, 9 times out of 10 you'll never even need it, but you should never consider driving without it.

Travel times can be much longer than the mileage calculators because of roads passing through town centers, making wrong turns (happens a lot) and making stops to see something even if just to snap a quick photo.