Please sign in to post.

Drinking tap water in Europe

Hello,
I saw that someone else asked downthread about drinking tap water in Rothenburg and the answers skewed towards "Yes, of course." How about other places? We are going to London, Rome, Cinque Terra, Barcelona, Paris, and Provence. Would anybody reccommend avoiding the tap water in any of those places? I have a pretty sensitive stomach and in the past have usually chosen bottled water whenever I've travelled to Europe or elsewhere. But I just hate the waste that goes along with bottled water. Any thoughts (particularly from my fellow sensitive-stomached travelers?)

Posted by
9110 posts

I might scratch my head and switch to beer in parts of asia and africa, but certainly not anywhere in europe or south america. What gets me is the number of people that eat street/stall food for lunch and then insist upon bottled water at supper?????

Posted by
32173 posts

Jennifer, I can't comment on the basis of a "sensitive stomach", but you should have no problems with the water in any of the areas you listed (the Greek Islands are a different story however). If you're refilling water bottles from public fountains in Italy, look for the words "non potabile". That indicates the water is NOT suitable for drinking. I normally buy a bottle of water at the beginning of the trip and refill from taps. I use the same bottle until it wears out. Happy travels!

Posted by
4684 posts

I was in Barcelona within the last few years and found the tap water so over-chlorinated as to be undrinkable. It was definitely safe to drink, but so "safe" it was seriously nasty.

Posted by
295 posts

We have been drinking the tap water all through Europe on (almost) annual trips since 1975 and have never gotten sick. Except in Azerbaijan, that is, which was memorable indeed.

Posted by
9110 posts

Whoaaaa! Alabama and Mississippie water is purifed by redneck still-water run-off and presents no problem. Except for the coasts, which has been purified by BP, and has no life of any kind remaining. What's going to happen, however, is the emergence of a digressing thread debating if Azerbaijan is in europe or asia with a tangent devoted to the validity of ignoring both continents in favor of eurasia.

Posted by
12172 posts

The water is safe to drink all over Europe, you won't get sick. There are probably different mixes of bacteria than your body is used to, which might upset your system slightly - but not to the extent that you have to worry. Unless you see a sign telling you not to drink the water, the bacteria won't be at any level that is considered unsafe. If you're concerned about it, there are plenty of bottled water options available in stores and restaurants. I drink more low-fizz mineral water in a trip to Europe than I would drink in a decade at home.

Posted by
833 posts

For the most part you won't be drinking tap water in restaurants or anywhere like that, you'll be served bottled water. I can speak for Italy, and Rome particularly: in Rome they have fountains all over where you can refill your water bottle and drink the water safely. I never had a problem while I was in Italy traveling and studying for a month. However, I don't think I have a sensitive stomach, so if you are worried about it then stick to bottled water, and start off drinking small amounts of the city's water to test it out I suppose?

Posted by
358 posts

I have had no problem drinking tap water anywhere in europe. When I dine in Paris I like most Parisians ask for tap water to drink which is usually served in a nice bottle. Restaurants in Paris do not seen to mind your asking for tap water rather than Evian or some other type of bottled water.

Posted by
356 posts

Sydney - the hot water tap in British bathrooms is fed from a tank in the attic so you wouldn't drink that. The cold water tap is fed from the mains though. I have drunk British tap water all my life and am still in one piece!

Posted by
4684 posts

In France restaurants are legally obliged to bring you tap water if you ask for it, and any attitude if you ask a waiter for that with a meal instead of a branded water is a really bad sign. This is not true in other European countries, though.

Posted by
12040 posts

For the record, there is one major travel destination in Europe where the CDC still does not recommend drinking the water- St. Petersburg and the surrounding Leningrad oblast. The water is most likely safe now, but because the Russian government doesn't always cooperate in sharing their health statistics, the warning still remains. Personally, I find that the tap water over here often has an acrid, metallic taste, but its perfectly safe.

Posted by
12172 posts

Rome has outstanding water. Look for the Nase (nose) fountains. They look like a spigot with a hole drilled on top. Hold your thumb or finger over the bottom and it comes out the hole like a drinking fountain. I can't remember drinking any tap water in St. Petersburg. Virtually every place we went offered us a shot of vodka instead. :)

Posted by
14 posts

I have a sensitive stomach so I'll chime in. I studied in London for a while and ended up buying bottled water after first trying out the tap water. For some reason I haven't had problems with tap water in Europe, though. I'd suggest trying tap water first and then switching to bottled if you have issues.

Posted by
61 posts

Never had a problem in Europe. I vaguely remember a thread a couple of years ago RE London- something like water for the bathroom sink is stored in tanks on the roof and is ok for brushing your teeth but not for drinking?

Posted by
2193 posts

I understand that fluoride has now been added to most/all of the tap water in Britain, so it's better than ever! Drink up, and don't worry about any ill effects to your smile!

Posted by
4406 posts

Jennifer, have you tried any of those water-bottle purifiers? Like: http://www.rei.com/product/799021 Or something like a SteriPEN: http://www.rei.com/product/799003 Or just to make the water taste better: http://www.amazon.com/Brita-Bottle-Filter-Twin-Pack/dp/B004GN6QV4 Whichever you choose, you could do as most of us do and buy a bottle or two of water in Europe, then refill them...if you end up with a system that requires actual purifying, you can fill several re-used bottles with the purified water each night before bed so they'll be ready in the morning. Follow the directions, of course.

Posted by
16 posts

Thanks for all the great feedback. I'll check out the purifier suggestions as well :)

Posted by
1829 posts

"I understand that fluoride has now been added to most/all of the tap water in Britain, so it's better than ever! Drink up, and don't worry about any ill effects to your smile!" Contrary to popular belief (in the UK) only a few areas of Britain have had fluoride deliberately added to the water. Fluoride is present naturally to a greater or lesser extent in the rest of the country. See this site showing the presence of natural fluoride and the areas where it has been added. http://www.dwi.gov.uk/consumers/advice-leaflets/fluoridemap.pdf