Please sign in to post.

Dressing like the French (if you time-travel to the 1890s)

I found a fascinating video of Paris street scenes filmed in the 1890s. Enjoy!

Love the moving sidewalk at the 5:00 mark.

Posted by
4573 posts

Thanks for sharing. yes, the moving sidewalk is interesting. Never seen that before. I felt for the pedestrians trying to cross what I think is the Champs d'elllyses. (sp).

I always thought it was Paris around this time and Montgolfier brothers' that inspired Steam Punk clothing. It was exciting times.....

Posted by
2261 posts

That's just plain fantastic, thanks Fast Eddie. The Lumiere Brothers of Lyon. The "Show More" button gives this info:

0:08 - Notre-Dame Cathedral (1896) 0:58 - Alma Bridge (1900) 1:37 - Avenue des Champs-Élysées (1899) 2:33 - Place de la Concorde (1897) 3:24 - Passing of a fire brigade (1897) 3:58 - Tuileries Garden (1896) 4:48 - Moving walkway at the Paris Exposition (1900) 5:24 - The Eiffel Tower from the Rives de la Seine à Paris (1897)

Posted by
15582 posts

Loved it. Thanks, Eddie.

Things I thought about while watching:

Women's clothes were horribly uncomfortable. I think the average weight was at least 4 kg. The V&A (London) has a costume exhibit, ladies' undergarments look like they were designed by some of Torquemada's henchmen.

Boots, high-button shoes - of course. Look at all those horses. No wonder everyone left their footwear out at night for cleaning. Notice most women are hiking up their skirts as they walk.

Degas studied slow-motion movies of horses, he loved depicting circus scenes. One of the questions to be answered was if at any moment all 4 of the horse's legs were off the ground.

Paris looks much the same.

Kids are still sailing boats in the Luxembourg gardens - though now girls do to.

Glad I live now and not then.

I too loved the moving walkway - guessed it was for the Exhibition. I'd have loved to do it, especially when the Eiffel Tower was brand-new.

Posted by
32202 posts

That was a fantastic video and a fascinating glimpse into the past. That moving sidewalk was way ahead of its time. I certainly appreciate the modern versions that are used in many airports.