Please sign in to post.

Dressing for Dinner

Ladies, on Rick Steves Tours, do the ladies dress for dinner or do they go to dinner in what they have been wearing during the day? Going on Paris-Loire Valley trip and want to be sure to bring the right clothes.

Posted by
8713 posts

On a recent RS tour, just wore what I'd worn that day. A few other ladies changed but no dresses or skirts. It was winter.

Posted by
11507 posts

Marie, no one wears elegant dresses on a Rick Steves tour,, they do wear dresses and skirts ,, as they are nice and cool in summer, but more the sun dress variety,, not fancy at all. Do not bring any fancy duds for tour, but as I said, a basic skirt or plain summery dress is great. I often changed as in day I wore shorts ( long ones) and I think its nicer to wear capris or skirts to dinner. Rick Steves tour I was on was a Family Europe tour, so perhaps us moms didn't dress up as much as others,, but Rick Steves people ( us, ) are into packing LIGHT so forget high heels, NO one wore them ever.

Posted by
1317 posts

I think some people may have dressed up a tiny bit for the final, farewell dinner, but generally everyone just wore what they wore that day, perhaps adding a scarf for color.

Wear clothes you'll be comfortable in all day, that can mix and match for different outfits, and preferably are darker colors to hide any dirt.

Posted by
3313 posts

I think this thread provides some perspective on your question.

Posted by
1158 posts

I can't imaging walking around the whole day and then in the evening not changing my clothes with fresh ones.

The right clothes would depend on the type of the restauranst you are going to go.
IMO what one wears in a restaurant it's matter of selfrespect and respect tawrds others as well.
Unless I go to a fastfood restaurant, I do not wear shorts, flipflops, running shoes, fleece, PJ and other clothes like this.You don't have to wear a cocktail dress either.

Posted by
360 posts

I'd bring something to upgrade a basic skirt or pants to dinner level. On a tour you never know what the group you're with will do, so it's nice to have at least one thing to fall back on. Also, when I'm in Paris, I always change for dinner. Very casually dressed tourists tend to stand out in a nice restaurant. Cafes are more casual.

Posted by
408 posts

Marie,
On the Best of Europe trip I took a few years ago only a few of the woman dressed up for dinner. I did dress up for a few of the dinners. I brought a black pair of slacks and a black skirt and a few different tops that could be worn with each. The material was the jersy type so they took up very little space and did not wrinkle. I did buy a few scarfs in Florence and they did dress up my black outfits. Have fun!

Posted by
33 posts

Thanks everyone for your great input. I have re-adjusted my (light) packing for the trip.

Posted by
515 posts

14 day Best of Europe...I changed for the evening when possible. After a day of walking, it was fun to dress a bit nicer in the evening......wore a black skirt or black slacks with blouse and maybe a scarf. Took fabrics that didn't wrinkle. My mom always said it's better to be overdressed, and I agree. Have a wonderful trip.