Please sign in to post.

Double check those hotel cancellation policies as they may have changed

Hi Everyone—

Just a friendly reminder to double check your hotel cancellation policies prior to booking or rebooking.

In rebooking my Switzerland trip, I noticed that one of the hotels I had previously booked with had changed their cancellation policy. Previously, if a reservation was cancelled before 7 days prior to arrival, there was no charge. Now, regardless of when a reservation is cancelled, there is a 30% charge. I completely understand why the hotel changed it’s policy. I had mistakenly thought since it was the same hotel, the policy was the same. My fault for not rechecking.

So, learn from my mistake and check those policies before booking, even if you previously booked or stayed at the same hotel.

Carrie

Posted by
2669 posts

Wally, did I forget to mention that I noticed the change in policy AFTER I rebooked? ☹ Hence, the heads-up to all so they can learn from my mistake.

The trip is rebooked for September. We’ll either be able to go or not go. No need for any predictions on this. 😊

As for the rebooking, I’m a big planner, so I like to have everything booked in advance. I had assumed at the time that everything was refundable. I worry about things like, is the airfare going to go up, will our hotels still be available, etc. So, it lessens my anxiety to just have everything booked. If we can’t go, we’ll just reschedule again. Also, I have learned that rebooking is often easier than canceling and then rescheduling.

Posted by
7049 posts

Wait, you're not saying that the policy in place at the time of your booking may no longer be valid, are you? I would expect that the terms of the booking is a contract and cannot be altered after the fact relative to that booking's contract terms at the time of acceptance. I think what you're saying (instead) is...."don't take former policies you associated with a particular hotel for granted because they may be different today", correct? Meaning, be sure to read before clicking the "book" button...

Posted by
2669 posts

Agnes, sorry if I was not clear. When I made the original booking, the cancel with no penalty was in place. When I had to rebook—this was a new booking—the policy had changed to the 30% penalty. And, yes, you are correct that whatever policy is in place at the time of the booking is the policy that governs that particular transaction.

Posted by
9566 posts

Carrie - thanks for taking the time to share this thoughtful reminder with people that policies may have changed and that we really should check every time, even if we think we know. Your guidance may save someone some money, so it’s very kind of you to take the time to post.