Please sign in to post.
Posted by
11613 posts

Thanks, Jo. I bought a cheap TTM phone in Italy three years ago and still use it - and this is a good reason to keep it.

Posted by
112 posts

I asked that question of the hotel desk on my first day - I bought a cheap Portuguese mobile phone with a little prepaid time when I was there, and wanted to be prepared. Fortunately didn't need it :) This year, I have an unlocked phone so I'll have a local SIM card (much cheaper).

Posted by
48 posts

If you buy a phone in another country, does it have English on it? I don't want to buy one, and then I can't use it because I can't speak or read the language. I don't want to come off the wrong way, so I hope I didn't offend by asking.

Posted by
10545 posts

"If you buy a phone in another country, does it have English on it? I don't want to buy one, and then I can't use it because I can't speak or read the language. I don't want to come off the wrong way, so I hope I didn't offend by asking." It is a valid question. I took my unlocked AT&T phone to Italy and bought a SIM card there. All the prompts were in Italian and I couldn't figure out how to use the phone until about 2 weeks into the trip. On a train an Italian woman who spoke English explained it to me. After 3 weeks in Italy we went to Germany. The Italian SIM card didn't work there so I had to buy a new one. The following trip I didn't want to have a repeat of that problem, so I bought a SIM card from Telestial, with both UK and US numbers. I couldn't make calls with that one either, and it was all in English!

Posted by
9145 posts

The easiest thing to do is when you buy the phone, to have the store set it up and switch the settings to English.

Posted by
32322 posts

Jo, Thanks for posting that. I wasn't aware that 112 worked here in Canada as well. I knew that 112 would work at least in Italy, as the number is shown on big letters on the Carabinieri vehicles. I'm assuming the U.K. still uses 999? We don't have the text message system set up here yet, but it's coming. The CRTC has apparently given emergency services a time limit to get it installed and working. In an emergency, I'd rather call as it's faster to convey information, but text might be a good thing in some cases. Cheers!

Posted by
4684 posts

The UK still uses the traditional 999, but 112 also works so that European tourists can call for help.