Please sign in to post.

Destination Advice - Where to from Berlin?

Hi All
We will be travelling up through Italy, Austria (Innsbruck, Salzburg and Vienna) then to Prague, and over to Berlin for NYE. We have approximately 4 days left to fill in our itinerary until we fly home to Australia after this. I am hoping for advice or suggestions on a worthwhile place to visit in these 4 days. We are flexible with which city we fly out of (back to Australia), so I suppose that helps to widen the options. It doesn't necessarily have to be a major city, we are quite happy to travel around to a smaller town maybe, and then perhaps return to Berlin for our homeward flight.

Posted by
2676 posts

Dresden but you have to pass there from Prague to Berlin, Wroclaw in Poland is not to far either though it has been many years since I was there,but a nice little town from what I remember.

Posted by
868 posts

Close to Berlin:

Dresden (2h by train)
many world-class museum and a great base for day trips to small towns, mountains, castles and villages.

Erfurt (1:45h)
the capital of Thuringia offers a big, preserved old town and is a good base for day trips to Weimar or Wartburg castle, both World Heritage Sites

Harz mountains (3h)
some of Germanys best preserved towns with literally thousands of half-timbered houses, Northern Germanys highest mountain, and steam trains.

Posted by
12313 posts

Hamburg is an option for after Berlin.

Alternatively, you can skip Salzburg on the way up. After Berlin come back to Munich and Salzburg for your remaining days. Innsbruck isn't much but Salzburg is beautiful.

Posted by
1878 posts

You might try and work in Goerlitz—it's the town featured in the film The Grand Budapest Hotel, and was also featured in older Rick Steves books.

Posted by
23 posts

Thank you so much for your replies everybody. You have all given me a lot of options to consider. :)

Posted by
9143 posts

The suggestions from Martin sound the best. Just pick something rather close so you aren't eating up your short time traveling between cities.

Posted by
14765 posts

Any preference in direction? Schwerin, Halle an der Salle, Leipzig, Weimar, Hamburg, the Holstein area, small towns like Neuruppin and Neustrelitz, close to Berlin, as is Frankfurt an der Oder.

Posted by
4085 posts

Very few international airlines operate long-distance flights to/from Berlin without a stop at a gateway city such as Frankfurt or Amsterdam (etc.) For convenience you might choose one of those cities for your extra few days. Depending on your Australian destination, a stop in a Middle East air hub might also be possible. I see Qatar airlines flying from Berlin to that city enroute to Sydney, for instance. A useful airline research site, operated by Google for companies so it doesn't sell tickets, is www.itasoftware.com