Please sign in to post.

Delta-Alitalia connection -JFK

Hi-Thru Delta I have booked a trip starting with a domestic Delta flight to JFK then switching to Alitalia to Rome -with a 1hr 17 min layover -is this enough time? Thanks

Posted by
7891 posts

I suggest doing some research on what gates Delta uses at JFK, as well as Alltalia. Look at the map for the airport and determine how close the terminals are likely to be.

I try to avoid JFK, so I haven't been through there in over 25 years. It was a real pain back then, it may be better now.

My sense is that you are probably pushing your luck with a 77 minute connection.

Posted by
375 posts

I don't think so. I would say that's barely enough time at any airport . But the Delta teminal at JFK was kinda crazy the last time (2 years ago) we flew through there.

Posted by
8044 posts

You have to take the Airtran transfer from Terminal 4 to Terminal 1.
From a physically fit perspective 1 hr 20 min is enough as long as the domestic part arrives on time

Posted by
15633 posts

That's cutting it close. But since it is already booked, there is little you can do.

Delta operates out of both Terminal 4 and Terminal 2 at JFK. (I fly in and out quite often.)

Regardless of which terminal, you have to walk from your gate to the Air Train then take it from either 4 or 2 to terminal 1. Then go through security again and walk to your gate. (Make sure you take the Air Train that loops between the terminals and not one that goes to either Jamaica Station or Howard Beach.)

If you are at Terminal 4 you could be in for a hike. There are 50+ gates and if you are near the furthest one it is easily a 10+ minute walk to the Air Train. (Or you could take the shuttle bus from the end of the terminal up to gate 18. I did this a couple of weeks ago and it was faster than walking.)

And then the flight will close at least 15 minutes before departure which means you need to be there.

If you have checked bags, make sure they are checked through to Rome. If you have to collect them at JFK and then recheck them in for the Alitalia flight, I doubt that will be enough time. But you could be lucky.

Posted by
478 posts

Mark, I wish you luck.

I find myself in a similar, if not more challenging, situation. I have 65 minutes from the time my Delta flight is scheduled to arrive in Rome to catch an Alitalia flight to Berlin. I am using Delta Sky Miles, and this was the best choice available. The entire booking is though Delta, so if I miss my flight, I am hoping I won't lose too much time. And my trip is months away, so I would not be surprised if Delta does not change the itinerary once or twice before I leave.