Please sign in to post.

Debating Where To Go Summer 2024

I recently got 2 weeks of vacation due to switching jobs and I have flexibility to either take it any 2 week timeframe between early ish June and mid July. So one example is leaving Saturday June 15th and coming back July 1st, which means 14 full days in Europe.

I'm in my mid 20s and just looking to relax after a stressful year. That means I definitely want to have a few days where I can relax on the beach. But I also don't want to do that the whole time or spend all day doing that, so would want to be somewhere that there is more to do. I went to Naxos before and the beaches were beautiful but I got so bored, and there weren't many other solo travelers I met so found it boring. So I flew to Edinburgh on a whim and had the time of my life and met really cool people.

I had a few ideas of where to go:

• South of France (i.e. Menton, Avignon), I took French for a couple of years and really enjoyed Paris!
  • Krakow Poland or Budapest, Hungary (heard both have a lot to do and are solo travel friendly)
  • A Balkans trip that includes Croatia
  • Türkiye (I've been to Istanbul, so can see other parts + Turkish coast)
  • Crete in Greece or any other island
  • This one is a wildcard, but Uzbekistan. I am fluent in Russian, so there wouldn't be a language barrier

I had a couple of ideas for trips but trying to see if they make any sense:

• Krakow + Budapest + 1 week Greece (Crete maybe or 2 islands in the Cyclades)
  • I'm not really sure, the whole region is interesting for Balkans: Croatia, Montenegro, Albania, Bosnia, Bulgaria (or any Balkan country you recommend that I substitute/add)
  • Whatever I can fit, 2 weeks Türkiye, maybe Greece if I have leftover days
  • South of France + Spain + Portugal

I was looking for advice on what would be a good mix of relaxing/sightseeing. Maybe 70% sightseeing and 30% relaxing.

Thus far, these are the places I have already been to in Europe: London, Edinburgh, Paris, Amsterdam, main cities in Italy, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, a lot of Switzerland, Istanbul, Iceland in December, and Kyiv (pre-war)

Any advice on how I can narrow down my itinerary and help plan my trip is appreciated! I usually have trouble deciding on one location since I want to see so many places and 2 weeks feels like a lot of time but I'm realizing it's not. And also best time to go is appreciated too.

Posted by
4189 posts

Well, you have a lot of good choices! I love a lot of those places, but my vote would be Bosnia and Montenegro. Bosnia has scenery galore and interesting history, isn’t yet over-crowded with tourists, and has a lot of outdoor things to do as well. Montenegro has all the same but also has some truly gorgeous beaches and water and easy to access small islands - a great place to kick back and relax. Plus they are relatively inexpensive.

Albania is another great place. Fascinating, beautiful, and varied. I need to get back. It does pair well with northern Greece, which is relaxed but totally different than the island vibe. Thessaloniki might be of interest.

Krakow and Budapest are two of my favorite cities. I might toss Zakopane (or another small Polish city) into a week for Krakow - and end with a week in Budapest.

Posted by
480 posts

I would substitute Kyrgyzstan for Uzbekistan, but of course that is my preference. That was one of the most epic trips I've done. For the beach portion, head to Issyk Kul.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/uzbekistan-vs-kyrgyzstan

But based on what you are saying, I think the Balkans would suit. Just my gut feeling based on what you have said. But it will be quite warm.

Just one more thought--if you are a soccer fan, the UEFA championship is taking place in Germany during that time, so that could be an energy you might like. Or it could be something you would want to avoid.

Posted by
2354 posts

How about Tallinn? They celebrate white nights around June 21.
From Tallinn you can explore the Baltic states with their nice sand beaches, e. g. Pärnu. With English and Russian language you have good chances to travel without any communication problems.

Sweden celebrates Midsummer - very important for them.

Posted by
1957 posts

Honestly, if you are trying to go to the UEFA match you are probably out of luck as far as tickets and accommodations. It's already May and everything will be expensive.

I'd stay away from Paris and Germany this year unless you like crowds and I think the prices will shock you.

I'd vacation more in Eastern Europe. The Balkans, Slovakia, etc.

Posted by
2431 posts

Since you mention Spain and Portugal and haven’t been there, I would go there. Plenty to sightsee and plenty of beaches

Posted by
1377 posts

Portugal you can get your city time of things to do in Lisbon & or Porto, then head south to Lagos, Faro or any of the beach cities. There's a train line that crosses all of Southern Portugal.

Or for two different cultures/experiences, try Southern Portugal and then head to Morocco.

Enjoy & let us know what you decide.

Posted by
169 posts

Honestly, if you are trying to go to the UEFA match you are probably out of luck as far as tickets and accommodations. It's already May and everything will be expensive.

I actually checked and found available tickets (good seats) for under $200 (probably because it’s Ukraine vs Romania). And I see hostel availability in Munich.

I’m thinking I could fly Lufthansa from Seattle direct to Munich, spend a day there and see the game then travel to the Balkans. I was thinking Belgrade + Sarajevo + Mostar + Dubrovnik + Kotor.

Another idea was to go to a Greek Island (like Crete or 2 Cyclades islands) and then check out another country. I really want to swim in super blue water

Posted by
4189 posts

Option 1 would work, but you will lose time to getting from one city to the next with each change. And that’s a lot of changes. Bus options might be a deciding factor in your choice. If you drive, you would need to check out whether or not you can pick up and drop off in different countries - and how much extra that will cost.

Posted by
9704 posts

You can swim in super blue water in Croatia . . .

Posted by
169 posts

MarkK does Norway have anything similar to what you described in Tallinn? Have a friend who will be in Norway then!

Posted by
18162 posts

Your interests are varied. With 2 weeks, I would pick 2. Then, even if a flight apart is okay. Just look for direct or maybe even discount flights. You mentioned Budapest, but only if the second stop, Greece, maybe, is a nonstop at a reasonable price. Also consider off the beaten path like the coast of Montenegro, unless Greek ruins are your goal. But a city for a week and a 90 min flight to something totally different isn't a bad idea.

Posted by
2354 posts

Norway celebrates midsummer as well but less than Sweden - there it is the second most important fest after Christmas. So Norwegians come together at Sankthans for bonfires, grill and BBQ but I am not aware of any very special traditions - but Norway is huge and has some local cultures.

Where in Norway is your friend?

In the high North (states Finnmark and Troms, above polar circle) you will have midnight sun which is absolutely marvellous and seldomly at the same time. As hobby photographer I like the "golden" hours with their warm light - normally 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening. Up there you will find 12 hours with golden light.

Do not travel to Lofoten or Vesteralen islands - they are so beautiful at this time that you do not want to leave them anymore. You will also find small beaches everywhere and a lot of inner peace. In Andenes you can do whale watching.

The western fjords of Norway (around Bergen) are beauties with their high fjells and all the waterfalls you can directly drink from.

Maybe you share 1 week in Sweden and 1 in Norway?