Please sign in to post.

D-Day in Normandy 2014

Does anyone know if you have to have passes to get to Omaha Beach area for the ceremonies on June 6, 2014? I plan on attending but not sure how to get there. The tours I have researched so far are too long and too expensive.

Posted by
8293 posts

How do you pronounce your screen name?

Posted by
1005 posts

I'm not sure that you can attend the main June 6th ceremony. There will be lots of heads of state there--probably Queen Elizabeth and President Obama--and it is likely to be invitation only. I was there last spring and my advice is to go before or after the big day. If you must be there on June 6th, reserve now and expect to pay big time. It's a fascinating place--you don't need to be there on the anniversary to feel the impact.

Posted by
4412 posts

Look at this webpage; pay close attention to the response from 'David Zamula' from Sept 2013!

I think 'mckewj' is 'McHuge', like McRib, or McGyver, or McAfee, or McJagger...

You need to find a place to stay NOW! Play careful attention to special cancellation policies, etc. Same thing for your car rental - get that locked in ASAP. In fact, I'd try to pick up my car as early as possible before the official festivities begin, so that you don't get the hands-in-the-air 'we're all out of cars; never mind you have a reservation' pose :-(