Please sign in to post.

customs

i'm flying to Manchester, England in august from Mpls my layover is in amsterdam. It's 3hr layover, do I still have to go through customs to get to my next flight ,how long will it take to get through customs

Posted by
9109 posts

You won't have to pass through immigration at Amsterdam. But you will have to go through another security screening. At this security screening they will want to look at your passport to make sure it matches your boarding pass...just like the TSA does here in the US.

Posted by
1068 posts

We laid over in Amsterdam just about a year ago, going to Paris, and I don't recall having to go through customs. I don't believe it is required. Instead, we had to go through passport control, and I was amazed and impressed at how easy and slick the process was. They had separate lines for folks with short connections, and the whole operation was patroled by attentive staff who directed traffic and went out of their way to make sure things went smoothly. We got through the passport control line in under 15 minutes, and were on our way. We had time at the gate for cockatils and for me (almost - I chickened out at the last minute) to buy myself a pair of garish wooden shoes! :o)

Posted by
9109 posts

Kira,
You went through passport control because you were connecting to a Schengen country. Tamara will be be connecting to a non-schengen country (UK), thus will not pass through Immigration or Customs until she arrives in Manchester.