Please sign in to post.

Customs

Hi. I've been in Europe for 5 weeks. I leave Frankfurt on dec 10 for San Francisco & home. While visiting Denmark family members gave my sister & I each 4 royal Copenhagen blue plates from the 1970's. They are gifts. No cash was exchanged. I understand that I have to fill out a custom form before I land in frisco. My question is this. How do I fill the form out for these gifts? I have no idea what the monetary value is on this plates if any. They aren't antiques. This is my 1st trip out of the USA & coming back through customs. I looked online at the customs website but says nothing about the gifts I WAS given. Just about gifts that I bought & plan to give away. Thanks for your help.

Posted by
5790 posts

You normally would list them with the estimated value. You might try looking on e-Bay or replacements.com to estimate the value. The first $800 worth of goods are not subject to duty. http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/gifts.xml Personally, I never list individually each item that I bring back. I just put one line that states "Miscellaneous items and souvenirs" and then in the amount column list an approximate value for the total of all the goods.

Posted by
1064 posts

I would list them as either used or souvenir dishes with a value of $10 or $20 each, which would not be subject to tax. They may be worth more, but that's probably what they would sell for at a flea market.

Posted by
8299 posts

You didn't buy'em, and you really don't have to list them. Now if you were bringing back fresh vegetables or meats, they'd be all over you. I cannot really remember when the last time U.S. Customs even opened one of my suitcases. 30 years? They essentially wave you through unless you are stereotyped for some reason. I guess I look like a cheapskate. I have not bought any souvenirs in forever.

Posted by
15843 posts

I would estimate $380 for the total amount. I base my estimate on the customs declaration form with scientific methods: Aircraft used by Lufthansa from Frankfurt to SFO= Airbus 380.
Aircraft above minus name of Manufacturer= Airbus 380 - Airbus= 380 Add currency of country of flight destination= US$ + 380 = $380. I've used even more sophisticated methods in my many trips to Europe. I'll spare you the ones involving the average speed of the aircraft expressed in nautical miles. I use that one to estimate how much my wife spends in shoes whenever we go to Florence. Anything above $400 per person will require you to pay customs duty. Therefore make sure you are not flying with United. They use a Boeing 747 from Frankfurt. In that case use the formula above and divide by 2. It works. I've always been good in math.

Posted by
713 posts

Roberto, the personal duty-free exemption value you referred to, is $800 now.

Posted by
9110 posts

'You didn't buy'em, and you really don't have to list them.' Wrong. You must declare everything acquired, regardless of means. For gifts, you do not need to estimate their worth. Just list them and customs will estimate the value. There's only two sins in dealing with customs: 1. failure to declare possession 2. misrepresentation of value

Posted by
12313 posts

Ed's right. As long as you list everything you are bringing in - and list their price accurately - you're fine. You may have to pay a duty but it's pretty rare; the time taken to calculate duty isn't worth the handful of dollars you would owe. I do carefully list everything I have and how much I spent on it. It's not that hard for me since I rarely accumulate much (no more than what fits in our carry-on bags). The customs officer regularly looks at my list, says "Thank you", and sends me on my way. In your case, I'd list the four plates as you do here "Four 1970's Royal Copenhagen plates" and for value put "gift from family". Unless you have a lot of other stuff too, they probably won't be overly interested in them.

Posted by
15843 posts

I'm glad they increased the personal exemption to $800. I didn't even notice it. That shows how much attention I pay to that Customs Declaration form.
I always fill a rough estimate of what I have in the front page, but I never fill the back page with the itemized list. Yet no USCPB officer ever complained to me. Since in the past 20 or so years I've entered the US from abroad on average 2 to 4 times a year, it means that maybe the USCPB doesn't care much about that itemized list in the back page either if the total is under the personal exemption amount.