Please sign in to post.

currency exchange

I plan on taking some euros with me to avoid problems and having to look for an ATM when I first arrive. My bank says my card works in europe, but...

Posted by
2876 posts

If your debit card has a Visa or Mastercard logo, it'll work fine at ATM's in Europe.

Posted by
19237 posts

"but what?".... ? When I went to Europe in 2004, I had three ATM cards, all with Visa/MC (as well as Plus and Cirrus) logos. When I tried the first two in the ATM, it returned the card and said, "Call your bank". Fortunately I had a third ATM card, and about €200 in cash. Tell your bank(s) you will be traveling in Europe on those dates and check the maximum withdrawal amount.

Posted by
12313 posts

Call the number on any card you take with you. Let them know where and when you will travel. If your card doesn't work when you get there, it could be your bank put a fraud hold on your account that won't go away until you call them (then should clear overnight). Finding an ATM is the easy part, I doubt it's possible to walk from the gate of any airport in Europe and not pass at least a couple of ATMs before reaching the curb. The only place I've had trouble finding ATMs is around docks. It may be worth using the ship's exchange booth to get enough cash to get into town, where there will be plenty of ATMs.