Please sign in to post.

Credit cards in Europe

I wanted to have a backup credit card in addition to my ATM card. however my credit union Visa people told me that because of massive fraud there was a hold on all European transactions. I was told that I could activate my card, however I would be responsible for any fraudulent charges.
Don't like that! Anyone have an idea other than trying another credit card company (no time)?

Posted by
355 posts

Being you are just using it for backup. Don't activate your card for European transactions unless you actually need the card. Then if you need to activate it call them then (and take the risk) I am sure the phone is staffed 7 x 24. Just makes sure you have a phone number that can be called from Europe (e.g. not 800).

Posted by
23341 posts

That is an odd position that I don't completely understand. All three of our credit cards are VISA with no restrictions as you indicate. You also should carry a back up debit card. Although in the 15 years I have not need it, there is always the first time. Get a Capital One card.

Posted by
1152 posts

Lucy wrote: " I was told that I could activate my card, however I would be responsible for any fraudulent charges." I'm not sure this is legal. The limits on liability are set by statute and regulation, at least in part. Anyone know the answer? I looked at 12 CFR Section 226.12 (Special credit card provisions) and I don't see an exception for the card issuer to opt out of the liability limits.

Posted by
2876 posts

If I'm not mistaken, if a credit card is a owned by a business, the normal consumer protection laws don't apply, and the business owner can be held personally liable for all the charges. Perhaps the OP's card in question is a business credit card?

Posted by
9363 posts

I don't understand that, either. I don't think the bank can make their own rules. VISA's rule is that you are not liable for fraudulent charges (more than $50). My credit card is a VISA, from a credit union, and it works just fine. If there is a "hold on all European transactions" it's because of your credit union, not VISA.

Posted by
12172 posts

There are issues with fraud in Europe, especially certain parts of Europe (Italy comes to mind). This is the first I've heard of an outright hold on all European transactions or holding the victim responsible for a financial crime (not sure that's legal but there was a major banking bill passed in 2009). It's time to consider a different credit card for travel. Currently, Capital One seems to be the best deal; they don't charge a foreign transaction fee (but don't let anyone convert your purchase to dollars for you, keep it in the local currency).

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks to everyone helping me solve this problem. i called the credit union Visa people today to inquire further and they said not to worry that I would not be responsible for fraudulent charges. They said they had a meeting just this morning and changed the policy. I don't know why that happened, but I',m glad it did.
They did ask that I be very careful with the card, however, which, of course, I always am.