Please sign in to post.

Credit Cards

We had been using the Schwab debit/credit cards when traveling internationally because there were no fees. They have discontinued this. What do others use? Is there something comparable to Schwab with no conversion of currency fees?

Posted by
1446 posts

Thank you for this information. I received it from my husband, and I think we need to check things out more!

Posted by
19115 posts

Some accounts at Wells Fargo have a limited number of no fee (currency conversion or out of system ATM) per month. For most financial institutions, there is a 1% fee from the "Network" for foreign ATM usage. I understand many credit unions will rebate some number of these charges. Small local banks, those without foreign currency operations just pass the 1% fee on to you. Major banks (like Chase, WF, USBank) pay the Network in Euro, Pound, etc, then charge you 3% for their own currency conversion. I believe Bank of America works directly with some European banks (Deutsche Bank, Barkleys, et al) to just exchange fund with each other, avoiding the Network fee, but you can only use their cooperating banks.

Posted by
6898 posts

Are you sure this has been discontinued? I'm looking at the https://www.schwab.com/ home page and it says right on there "Pay No ATM Fees - Anywhere". And, it shows a picture of the world right next to it. We have a Schwab bank account so I need to check this out.

Posted by
1003 posts

My Ally money market account comes with a visa debit card, I used it in 2009 in Italy and paid no fees and got basically the interbank rate. For a credit card I use CapitalOne.

Posted by
800 posts

I just checked schwab as well and don't see where they have discontinued this. Anyone have a reliable link?

Posted by
1152 posts

Schwab Bank still has the no fee ATM/debit card. What Schwab did was discontinue sponsoring its VISA credit card that did not impose any foreign transaction fees. Schwab offered the card through Bank of America. Now it is just a BOA card, but BOA has not informed users that it is imposing a foreign transaction fee. At least, I don't remember getting such a notice and I have a card. (I also have the debit card, too.) Capital One apparently offers credit cards without foreign transaction fees, or so I have read.

Posted by
9363 posts

As for Ally Bank, I just checked with them regarding the fee-free debit card. They told me that even though I would pay no ATM fees, they do impose a 1% currency conversion fee on foreign withdrawals

Posted by
102 posts

I called the new bank, FIA about a month ago, that took over the Schwab CC. The rep. said that there are still no foreign transaction fee, associated with this card. That is different than some of their other cards and the rep. had to double check.