Please sign in to post.

Credit Cards

We are traveling to Europe all of July. I just read an article about using our credit cards and that they don't work that well throughout Europe. Is this true? I have a visa debit card and was just going to go to ATMs to get cash for each city that I am in....am slightly concerned because I don't want to use the currency exchange...

Posted by
23550 posts

All US debit cards work fine in ATMs. Most US credit cards will work just fine with most restaurants, hotels, stores, etc. Some automatic ticket machines, gas pumps, toll roads, will not take US cards but everyone else wants our money and they will have a way to get it. This is discuss constantly on this site so just do a little searching if you want to read more of the same.

Posted by
12313 posts

No problem at all using your visa debit card. For all your cards, let your bank know when and where you are traveling so they don't put a hold on your account AND bring their non-800 phone number in case there is a problem. Remember your daily limit (usually $500 per day and refreshes at midnite local time for your bank). Credit cards are fine with big retailers, high-end restaurants, nice hotels, auto rentals, etc. Small retailers and budget restaurants/lodging usually want cash. You will see a lot of discussion here about chip-and-pin credit cards in Europe. At least ninety-five of a hundred places will know how to process American style magnetic stripe cards. You have to get off the beaten path to find someone who doesn't know how to run them. In that case, you can always walk a block to an ATM and return with cash.

Posted by
105 posts

Just a note about 800 numbers. I think you can't call an 800 number in the U.S. from Europe but need to change it to 880. Maybe 800 works for the fancy phones but if you are using a phone card it might not work.

Posted by
805 posts

Re 800 numbers, get a list of the local equivalent for your bank/credit card company before you go. They should all have them. Remember that Visa/MC/Amex are all global companies and so they want you to be able to call them wherever you are.

Posted by
1010 posts

We suggest you get a Capital One card. All other cards charge transaction fees, but Capital One doesn't. Elaine

Posted by
1152 posts

A U.S. cell phone may be capable of calling a U.S. toll-free number, but it won't be toll-free. Most credit cards have a regular U.S. number printed on the back along with instructions to call collect if outside the U.S. There are also country-specific toll-free numbers used by VISA, etc.

Posted by
19237 posts

"All other cards charge transaction fees" Ain't necessarily so! I have a medium high balance savings account with Wells Fargo, and I get two fee-free transactions per period. I understand this is also true of some other banks and credit unions. In addition, my local bank, 1stBank of Colorado, only passes on the 1% (which they are charged by the Network) plus they charge the normal $2 fee they charge whenever you use an out of system ATM over here. So, with a $500 withdrawal, it's 1.4% total, better than the 3-4% charged by major banks.