Please sign in to post.

credit cards

Is there any special instruction for either covering material or placement in purses so the cards can not be scanned for fraudulent use?

Posted by
4535 posts

To my understanding there are two types of cards: paypass type cards that you hold in front of a reader and traditional magnetic strip cards (well ok three if you count chip & pin). Paypass cards can be remotely scanned but it is still very rare. I'm not aware that regular credit cards can be remotely scanned. But a service provider can easily record the number and use or sell it. But since you are only on the hook for $50, if even that, buying various protections seems an over-reaction to either threat. One advice we give here: don't use your debit card for purchases while abroad. It can be more difficult and time consuming to correct and replenish your debit account than a credit card. And draining that account can reek havock on auto bill payments. Plus you don't want to be without cash.

Posted by
8681 posts

What are you asking? If you are concerned carry the card hidden in a money belt. Personally, I use a credit card for only for travel emergencies. Use a debit card to withdraw cash and pay for everything with cash. Saves on CC transaction fees. Often better B and B deals if you pay cash. When you use a credit cards it's inevitably out of your sight for a few moments. That's when fraud could happen here or anywhere. If you must use a credit card sign up for fraud alerts from your bank which, if you are tech savvy, will appear in your email. You'll know what you used if for and if there's a charge you don't recognized you'll know the card has been compromised.

Posted by
23281 posts

Cards cannot be scanned so don't worry about it. A great rish though still low is that a pickpocket might get the card if not well secured.

Posted by
29 posts

I am asking if there is any material (specifically) to protect credit cards and debit cards from being scanned while in your purse. I recently had this happen to mehad not used the card, but my account was emptied in one day. The bank fraud department explained that the card can be scanned while in my purse. I am asking if there is any way, where carried or material of carrier, that protects against this.

Posted by
2876 posts

Alice - just Google "RFID credit card shields" and you'll find numerous links to products that do what you want.

Posted by
32798 posts

It is unlikely that your card was scanned while in your purse, despite what the bank said. Do you have RFID in your card? When your bank gave you that scenario did the person suggest specific precautions?

Posted by
1568 posts

I am getting the RFID credit card holders before my next trip to Europe. In fact I will use then here and everywhere from now on. They also have the same type holders for passports with the strip. Saw a documentary showing how people use to scanners while walking down the street or standing in lines.